Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #1

The new to us 3500 did great!

Our new to us 2020 Ram 3500 6.7 HO diesel did great this weekend. I knew it would towing our little X23B. I do still need to read/review the owner's manual.

I did configure the WDH for this TV. Probably not really needed, but I like the idea of the added sway control. With three washers installed (Equalizer 4 point) the bars did not engage at all, four washers I think I have it set to about as light weight transfer as possible. With the sway bars disconnected the front went up a 1/4". With the bars engaged, it was back to unhooked conditions.

Prior to the trip, I only had about 300 miles of city driving with the TV. I topped the tank off before leaving and hand calculated the fuel economy at 12.3 mpg.

I topped the tank off last night. About a 1/4 tank of fuel, and less than 1/8 of a tank of DEF used. I suspect we had about 80 miles towing and another 75 miles running around, ran the AC the whole time. Per the computer, we were averaging 11.8 mpg, hand calculations 11.0 mpg (better than the Dakota with the AC off). The truck really did not notice it back there at all.

The exhaust braking was a bit odd. I had played around with the button in town. I thought I knew what to expect. While towing I forgot all about the button (only have had gassers in the past). From this single trip I suspect Tow/Haul mode turns it on. On the open highway we came to a stop light, and off the throttle at 60 mph, and the exhaust brake kicked in automatically. I really did not need to press the brake pedal. I did, as we were in rush hour traffic, and did not want to be rear ended.

I was a bit bummed with the exhaust brake at one location. When we got to camp, there is a fairly long and steep road to the lower camp in the river bottoms, speed limit on the road is 20 mph. With the Dakota, I always downshifted to 1st gear. The Exhaust brake never kick on until the very bottom of the hill, even as I was pressing the brake pedal. Every time I went down this hill, with or without the TT, the exhaust brake would kick in at the same place right before the bottom of the hill, but never up on the hill when I could use it. Not sure if there is some minimum speed limit for it to kick in. Tried a few different modes, and nothing.

I also never used upper "Gear Limit" feature. I suspect with such a light trailer there really is no need to do such. It never seemed to search for a gear, or anything. It shifted just like I was empty. The temp gauges where way cooler than on the old Dakota. It is weird having two temp gauges shown. Have not seen that in decades.

I think our dog overall really enjoyed the new TV. Normally she gets up and wants to stand on the center console and look out the front. This trip she just laid in her bed. She had lots of room. I folded up the smaller rear seat, with the cargo tray out for her and her bed. I think she might have enjoyed the rear AC blowing on her. She had lots of room, and so did the kid.

Overall it was a great trip, looking forward to our next one a bit farther from home. If we get a rainy camp day, I will need to read the owner's manual, as I still have some learnings and settings I need to figure out.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #2

I think your exhaust brake only kicks in above a certain engine RPM not speed.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think your exhaust brake only kicks in above a certain engine RPM not speed.
Yes, 1,000 RPM and above.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Yes, 1,000 RPM and above.
Good to know!

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 06-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Good to know!
These are great tow vehicles, actually the best I've had among diesels.
It's really nice carrying pets by folding the rear seats up and dropping that flat platform. Plus they have their own heat in the winter and AC in the summer. Hard to beat.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
These are great tow vehicles, actually the best I've had among diesels. It's really nice carrying pets by folding the rear seats up and dropping that flat platform. Plus they have their own heat in the winter and AC in the summer. Hard to beat.
I agree! I don't think we've had our rear seats down more than 6 times in the last 3 years. Our cat enjoys traveling in the back and sitting on the console watching where we're going.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:18 AM   #7

Awesome glad you enjoy it I took our 2022 ram 3500 cross country and it didn't miss a beat all the way for 7000+ miles.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:52 AM   #8

We just drove over 400 miles yesterday pulling our Pinnacle. My buddy was behind us with his Pinnacle and 2017 F-450, and he averaged around 10.5 MPG which I thought was pretty good for that monster truck. We averaged up to 12MPG at one point, before traffic lights took care of that. Engine pulls strongly, and the 50 gallon tank keeps us on the road longer.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #9

We bought a Ram 3500 same engine, with the aisin transmission in 2020. We tow a Eagle 317RLOK 5th wheel about 11K loaded. Just recently returned from our longest trip to date to Durango, CO about 1200 miles. We averaged right at 10.5 mph, and that includes going over Wolf Creek Pass (10,800') twice. The rig performed flawlessly, and going over the pass was a breeze. I watched the transmission temp closely while on the pass, and it barely budged. We are very happy with our Ram. And our dog seems to enjoy the fold down back seat as well. Gives her lots of room.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #10

Update: Went on our first longer trip, 2 weeks, 2 State Parks (Jay Cooke & St. Croix). Total distance 666 miles (devils #). Picked up fuel only once, 80 miles from home. We went 586 miles on the first tank of fuel (wow).
  • First tank, 586 miles, 42.3 gallons, averaged 13.85 mpg. This was mixed use about 225 miles towing, the rest was site seeing.
  • Second tank (80 miles, 7.05 gallons, averaged 12.7 mpg (towing, slower and more variable traffic speed the closer to home we got).
  • Grand total 675 miles (few miles running around before toping off the tank is included) 49.4 gallons, 13.66mpg.
I figured if I did the same trip with our old Dakota, I would have used closer to 60+ gallons and costed maybe $30-$50 more, and probably 5 stops for fuel. When towing the last few years it has been averaging about 9.4 mpg, and maybe when lucky 12.5 mpg, not towing. It use to get 12.5 mpg towing and 15-19 not towing.

The ride was very nice. The power was incredible, the Diesel braking is incredible with and without the TT, never felt the trailer behind me. It just did not care.

When towing with this rig I found I tend to drive 65-67 mph, it seams like 67 mph. I will admit it was very easy to go faster. I found it hard to maintain 60-62 mph speed. On the way home, we got stuck in the slow lane, behind a 5ver, who was behind a car doing 50 mph (70 mph speed limit area). Stuck in heavy traffic, I had my turn signal on for a while before someone let me over. I punched it, what incredible power, the RAM just launched and merged in quickly. I was very surprised by how fast I picked up speed. (I really never have punched the throttle before on this TV).

As for the camping part, it was great. It did rain on us a lot the first half of the trip, including the 4th. Temps every night at Jay Cooke was in the mid 40's. Most days were in the mid 60's to low 70's Just 2 days when it hit 80. St. Croix, were we have never been to before was much much warmer, every day was AC weather, high 80's and humid.

The dog, she again laid down the entire trip, on her bed, on the fold out cargo tray. In the Dakota, she would always stand up, and put her front feet on the center console between us. She must like the AC, and have more room to be comfortable.

Oh and the kid, said, now that I am moving out, you get a bigger truck with plenty of leg room (he is 6'1", and thin).

It was a great trip!

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Sounds like you've picked a winner of a TV, and you're a "happier camper". Thanks for the update on your trip out.

Just like when I moved out of my parents' house. Huge lawn I mowed with a push mower, then my father finally got a rider the day I left! Go figure!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote