Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

The Numbers -- Part III

I had posted in a previous thread that we are looking to upgrade from our Jayflight 24FBS to a larger unit. But because we have an older F150, we need to keep the weight and hitch weight under control!

Our latest consideration is a 2016 Whitehawk DSRL Plus.

Again: here are the numbers:

Truck:
2010 Ford F150 SuperCrew Lariat, with 5.4 L V8 and 3:73 rear axle and Tow Max package
Payload is 1465
Towing capacity is 11,300 lbs
GVWR 7700lbs
Front and Rear GAWR are both 4050 lbs
Gross Combined Weight is 17,100 lbs (truck and anything we're pulling)

2016 Whitehawk DSRL Plus:
GVW -- 7500 lbs
Unloaded Vehicle Weight is 6296
Dry Hitch is 620

Our current 24FBS Elite:
GVW 7500 lbs
UVW 5420
Dry Hitch 540

So the Whitehawk is 876 pounds heavier than our Jayflight is when both are unloaded. The Jayflight has the huge fresh water tank, which when full (according to the sticker on the side of the trailer) adds 700 lbs to the unit. This would put us within a couple of hundred pounds of the unloaded Whitehawk's dry weight.

So here is our plan to see how well this really works. We've never actually towed our Jayflight with the tanks full as we virtually never dry camp. Our experiment is to fill the tanks and then tow the trailer to a dealership that is selling the Whitehawk that we want. With the fresh water tanks full, and the trailer packed with contents per our norm, this should simulate the weight of the Whitehawk when loaded with contents (but not water). Again, we normally only ever have a small amount of water in the tank when travelling for potty needs.

The trip to the dealership will take us over a substantially mountainous area, the Coquihalla Hwy and Okanagan Connector, which some of you may know from the tv series Highway Through Hell! LOL. I figure it's as good a test as any to see how the truck handles the additional weight. If it's OK, we'll buy the Whitehawk, if not, we simply won't.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Again, thanks to everyone for your input thus far. Sorry to keep posting about all this, but I want to be absolutely sure we can tow comfortably, and more importantly, safely.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
snip....... We've never actually towed our Jayflight with the tanks full as we virtually never dry camp. Our experiment is to fill the tanks and then tow the trailer to a dealership that is selling the Whitehawk that we want. With the fresh water tanks full,....snip
Assuming that your present TV/TT WDH was adjusted properly based on towing without the tanks filled.., the "location" of the "filled" tanks can influence whether weight is removed or added to your TT's present loaded tongue weight.

"If" the filling of your tanks takes you outside the recommended 10%-15% (13%-15% ideal) loaded tongue weight range, your towing results (TV handling, etc.) may not give you accurate results with the simulated 2016 White Hawk added weight.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

Yeah, I get that. But I think it's still a good test. The dealership said we can take the Whitehawk on a test pull too.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

If they will let you take it on a test pull drive to the nearest CAT Scale and weigh your combination. That will give you a starting point. Adding about 100# to what you get from the empty tongue weight would be pretty close to the loaded state (I assumed 700# of "stuff"). From the published TW you would be around 720# on the tongue.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
If they will let you take it on a test pull drive to the nearest CAT Scale and weigh your combination. That will give you a starting point. Adding about 100# to what you get from the empty tongue weight would be pretty close to the loaded state (I assumed 700# of "stuff"). From the published TW you would be around 720# on the tongue.
The CAT Scale is your friend.
X2! Test pull, wow, thats a great dealer.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

Based on my experience with my 27 DSRL your tongue weight will be #900 to #1000.

Yes, the CAT scale is your friend.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

Just a quick update for now. We towed the loaded 24fbs over the "highway from hell" as planned. The truck did great! No problems going uphill at all.

Coming Down what is about a 15km six percent grade into Kelowna, BC we did note the extra weight as the truck seemed sort of like the antilock brakes kicking in -- a pumping almost. Turns out when we got to the dealership, the techs noticed the trailer brake on the truck was not adjusted increase the level of braking for the trailer! Yes the hubby is somewhat sheepish.

Anyhow the techs explained it was the trailer pushing the truck a bit as the trailer brake control on the truck was not properly set for the additional weight. I hope this makes sense as its a bit tough to explain! We bought the DSRL and the techs also had to make adjustments to the weight distribution hitch height as it sits lower than our Jayflight did.

Spent about two hours Transferring contents from one trailer to the other and then hauled it to a nearby camp site where we will stay a few nights to ensure no initial issues requiring the dealership to look at.

We immediately noticed the Whitehawk was lighter than the 24fbs filled with water. It also seems to tow nicer. Might be the wide axles, I dunno.

The last thing of note is the dealership told us they have a strict policy that they will not sell any trailer or fifth wheel to someone who doesn't have a properly equipped tow vehicle for the size of unit. Maybe that's BS but I really don't think so. They are a highly reputable dealership that have won many awards for service and customer satisfaction. This is the second unit we have bought from them and they have a ton of repeat customers.

Will provide our thoughts on the trailer soon. Again thanks to everyone for their input on this thread and others
Old 05-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #8

If that is in fact a policy they enforce then good on them, especially in that area. People ignorantly overloading their trucks and going towing in that area can cause catastrophic accidents.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

Being from Europe, I really do not understand how a dealer can act as hitch police. People should be responsible for their acts and you can't control everybody all the time. People need to think and use common sense.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Bono I do agree that the ultimate decision is the buyer/person towing but if a newbie comes in, someone ignorant to towing these big trailers, they should educate rather than take advantage.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

A dealer who monitors weights on tow vehicle? I call BS. I would be shocked if they even know how to do the math and look up the ratings. I, like others, wish the dealers would take some additional responsibility to educate consumers.

I wish you the best of luck with your new RV. As others have said, hit the scales. They are your friend.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote