Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Things I learned buying my Ford

Just bought a 2017 F-350 gas CC SRW to pull a 30.5MBOK (still waiting on the camper). I love the truck, and thought I would write down a bunch of the stuff I learned for anyone else who may be buying a new Ford. I had to scour Ford forums and actually buy the truck to figure some of this stuff out. Many of the options and new technologies are not adequately explained by Ford-- particularly the trailer and camera limitations which often exclude fifth wheels.

So here goes:
1) Cameras:
The Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System and the Trailer Camera Prep Kit (with or without tire pressure monitoring) are separate options. But the Ultimate option DOES includes the wiring to add the Ford trailer camera and TPMS later if you want. There is a 7 over 12 connector tucked up near the spare tire. This connection (whether connected by Ford or you) unfortunately only goes to your bumper, and the wiring is not long enough to run into the bed for a fifth wheel. So even if you order the truck with the fifth wheel/ goose neck prep, the camera and TPMS connection will be put on the bumper (there is a solution, read on...).

The trailer camera has to come from Ford to work with the system. You can't order a camera with your trailer (like I did) and expect to pair it. It is a wired connection. It only works as a backup camera, it cannot be used for monitoring while driving. It comes with a 40' cord to run the length of the trailer, but I've been told there is an option for a 50' cord if you ask.

There is a company that fixes many of these shortcomings. They make a harness that will extend the truck wiring so the bumper connection can be moved into the fifth wheel bed connection. They make a replacement connection box so that the camera plug and the fifth wheel connection are neatly combined. And they also make an extension for the camera cable itself, since the stock cable seems to be too short to reach the back of longer trailers. I found the company by looking in the comments of a YouTube video about the Ford camera options, and I called them.They are a fabrication company, and they designed the parts to solve the problem for their own vehicles and decided to sell them. The website is:

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldingservices.com/

2) BLIS
BLIS deactivates if you select (in the electronic dashboard menu) that you are pulling a fifth wheel, or if you select that you have a bumper pull over 30'. I don't have my fifth wheel yet so I haven't tested how well you can fake it out.

It's still worth having (in my opinion) for when you are driving without a trailer, but the literature before you buy certainly does not point out the limitations. Also, the blind spot warning is just a little yellow dot in the side mirror, and it flashes if you put your blinker on while it's warning you. But it's easy to miss, and there is no audible warning.

3) Reverse Guidance
The truck came with special stickers that you apply to the tongue of a bumper pull trailer that the onboard cameras can recognize. You place the stickers and take measurements and input the measurements into the onboard menu, and you will get reverse guidance projected through the camera in the Sync display. None of this works for a fifth wheel though.

4) Sync 3
I assumed that the Sync 3 had everything built in, and you could simply activate navigation or SiriusXM if you wanted to pay for them. This is not the case. It makes no difference to me, as I wasn't planning to pay for these anyway, but these are not available unless you get it equipped for these services. The navigation is a separate hardware module I've discovered. And even though the truck came with the paperwork for a 6mo SiriusXM trial, It's not a selectable source and I'm guessing there's no antenna either.

5) Mud Flaps
The truck treads pick up rocks on my gravel driveway and then at highway speeds lets them loose into the bottom of the truck and it sounds like we are taking gunfire. I didn't get mud flaps, but I'm adding them on. I've never owned a pickup before, so maybe this is just normal.

6) 10,000 GVWR Option
I addressed this in another thread, but if you get the 10,000 GVWR option on a F-250 it increases your payload. If you select it on an F-350 it restricts your available payload.

7) When you order the truck, the salespeople can submit the options without actually ordering the truck, and you can get a printout of the details, like the weight ratings. I recommend this. I kept getting a payload capacity on my 350 that was no higher than the 250, and that's how we figured out to de-select the 10,000GVWR option, which then shot the payload up almost 1,000lbs more.

8) Gas
I got a short bed which has a 35gal tank, but the longbed Crewcab Super Duty has a 48 gal tank as of 2017, for both gas and diesel. And I think the DEF went from 2.5 to 7.5 gals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2243.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	34283

Old 08-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #3

Nice rig!
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 AM   #4

Sweet rig and congrats, so what do you have to tow with you new rig?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:48 AM   #5

Rocks. Function of the type of tires. The more 'off road' they are, the bigger the rock they can let fly. Road tires pick up smaller rocks, but, are usually at a higher speed when they throw them. Yep, we had a gravel driveway too
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Sweet rig and congrats, so what do you have to tow with you new rig?

I have a 2018 30.5MBOK on order. It was supposed to be here Aug 1st and I'm still waiting patiently....

Old 08-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #7

I am curious did you get 4.30 gears in your new truck? I have one on order right now with 4.30 gears gas engine and the long bed for the 48 gal tank. Can't wait! I am replacing a 2015 Ram 6.4
4.10 gears.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #8

Things I learned buying my Ford

Yes, I got the 4.3 and I'm quite happy with it!

Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
Yes, I got the 4.3 and I'm quite happy with it!

Excellent! I am very much looking forward to towing with them. My current 4.10 gears are equivalent to 3.73 in a ford due to Rams gearing in the 66rfe. Can't wait to get some pulling power back in the low end.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

You should add the 4.30 gear as a must have in your list of findings. To help future buyers who are not in the know.