Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2024, 07:55 AM   #1

Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System

I figure I'll start a new thread in this area of the forum. I mentioned these springs, deep in another thread, not really related to towing.

I need a bit of rear end support.
Yes, that would be an 'overshare' if it had to do with MY actual rear end.

Fortunately for all of you, I am speaking of my 2023 F150's rear end.

I'm going to give my truck the support it needs. Is it absolutely necessary? No. But we can all agree, most of what we do (regarding campers and trucks) is not REALLY necessary, but more so 'guilty pleasures.'

I have found this reasonable prices spring set at eTrailer. For the same price I can get a 6,000 lb. version or a 7,000 lb. version. Neither one should engage unless I have a load in the truck or a trailer on the tongue. They appear to be super easy to install. No modifications, just remove (one bolt) original spring, add new spring and support plate.

Let's discuss.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 9.25.42 AM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:03 AM   #2

Used Timbrens on a multitude of vehicles over the years and was extremely satisfied. I always had the ones that just replaced the axle bumper stops. They didn't make contact until loaded.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Used Timbrens on a multitude of vehicles over the years and was extremely satisfied. I always had the ones that just replaced the axle bumper stops. They didn't make contact until loaded.
From the videos I've seen, this is exactly what they do. You replace the original bumper stops with these. They are not supposed to make contact if you are not loaded up. I watched a video with vantage view under truck and driving without a load but over some bumps. The springs never touched the truck.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:27 AM   #4

Make sure and check the fine print for if they fit.
Only speaking about my GMC, the little asterisk was for Automatic Ride Control. For my truck none of the helper springs would fit.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
From the videos I've seen, this is exactly what they do. You replace the original bumper stops with these. They are not supposed to make contact if you are not loaded up. I watched a video with vantage view under truck and driving without a load but over some bumps. The springs never touched the truck.
Exactly right, but on rough, rural type roads or G-out situations, they will make contact and can make the rear feel harsh when they hit the rubber spring. As you’ve seen on some reviews, not a real deal breaker, just some added info.
damaltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
Make sure and check the fine print for if they fit.
Only speaking about my GMC, the little asterisk was for Automatic Ride Control. For my truck none of the helper springs would fit.
Yeah, there was a 4x2 and 4x4 option, the only caution was they won't fit the F150's with certain (nice) options...none of which I have.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #7

We put them on our Ram 1500. They do a great job with reducing sag and minimizing roll, minimizing front to back porpoising, and the "swayish" wiggle from high winds or big rigs flying by.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
We put them on our Ram 1500. They do a great job with reducing sag and minimizing roll, minimizing front to back porpoising, and the "swayish" wiggle from high winds or big rigs flying by.
Perfect. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 06-01-2024, 04:22 PM   #9

I’ve used these on a few GM’s and a Tundra. They’re great for towing. Easy install. Zero adjustment or maintenance.

You’ll will hit them now and then when empty, but overall you won’t know they’re there.
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 06:51 PM   #10

I used them for years on my GM truck. Before using them, the truck obviously angled down in the rear so the front was higher than normal. After installation, the truck remained level no matter how much weight was on the bed because the suspension was sitting right on the timbrens.
There is difference in the ride when not towing. The shocks aren't allowed to travel far before you feel the bump when it hits the timbrens. Railroad tracks and speed bumps could rattle your teeth.
They did what I needed. I would do it again if the pin weight angled my truck. If the truck does not squat from the weight though, I would not recommend because the ride was rougher when not towing.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
I used them for years on my GM truck. Before using them, the truck obviously angled down in the rear so the front was higher than normal. After installation, the truck remained level no matter how much weight was on the bed because the suspension was sitting right on the timbrens.
There is difference in the ride when not towing. The shocks aren't allowed to travel far before you feel the bump when it hits the timbrens. Railroad tracks and speed bumps could rattle your teeth.
They did what I needed. I would do it again if the pin weight angled my truck. If the truck does not squat from the weight though, I would not recommend because the ride was rougher when not towing.
My truck is my daily driver. I drive approximately 10,000 miles/year. I drive to work, which is almost all highway miles, secondary road for 2 miles, no serious flaws. My home is 1.5 miles from my restaurant and go figure, just before entering the rear parking lot, I have to cross a set of RR tracks. Although, because my turn is immediately past the tracks, I'm usually going quite slow when driving over them.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
If you have the right set they should not touch unless you have a load in the bed. I usually had at least an inch of clearance without a load and they do compress slightly.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:21 PM   #13

on my 2023 F150 I plan to not run these and to use the equalizer hitch to compensate for the tung weight.

but I put them on a 2018 MB motor home. Because the MB sprinter motor home is loaded to the max the day it rolled out the assembly line, I put them on all 4 corners and they helped. but nothing worked like the custom tuned Fox rear shocks I bought. these shocks look expensive, but they were re-valved by an off road truck racer who also owned a MB sprinter motor home, and he build the first pair for his own sprinter MH.

back to the Timberen devices. as others have said it can make your empty ride worse. On the MH it was loaded 100% of the time, but my truck will be empty most of the time.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 01:17 PM   #14

I put a set in the rear of my 2005 Durango when I was towing a 7k lb trailer. They stopped the body roll almost completely. Easy installation by me. The distance between the axle and the original bump stops was about 4". With the Timbren bump stops it was about 1". It worked great when I hauled something heavy like bags of cement etc.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:47 PM   #15

Worked on my 2023 Nissan Titan

I installed a pair myself after buying them from a trailer company locally. I did remove each rear wheel to make it easier to access the bolt. Very simple install and what came from the factory on the vehicle is nothing but a shell of a piece of plastic. I have a half ton Titan and maxed out the tongue weight at 1000 pounds. The truck has no problem pulling my Jayco because of the gear ratio and the V8. I didn't realize that the tongue weight would be so high when I bought the so-called lightweight trailer. I was concentrating on the overall weight which was well below the 10,000 lb towing capacity. Anyway the point is that the Timbrens work fine and now the truck rides level. It stopped front tire wear and helped with excessive bounce. I avoided putting airbags on the truck. A considerable expense compared to the bump stops.
Poppa404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 02:10 PM   #16

So it sounds like you might be overloading your suspension somewhat, standard disclaimers apply, may cause california in cancer.

Timbrens will put load into the center span of a frame rail, while good for short duration incidents I'd be leery depending on circumstances. I have had fantastic experiences, going to a local spring shop and saying here's what I'm planning to do, lets get a set of springs that'll be happy doing it. I had a spring shop equip an older F250 to haul 6000 pounds now and again, for 400k miles. It wasn't expensive relatively and it lasted decades, still going. One more thought is tire flex is heat and more pressure = less heat, excess heat is bad of course. Depending on the load rating of your tires, you may be at max inflation or a little over to keep the heat under control if you're running heavy. Just don't run fast and heavy.

Now Ford offers what looks like 4 different sets of springs for the F150 anyway, perhaps swapping out to one of those would fit your bill, what's your rear axle weight rating on the door tag? My spring shop got mad when I bought a rancho add-a-leaf, it went flat in a month and mister spring says those go in the scrap pile as the spring recycler doesn't want that garbage metal.
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:51 AM   #17

If you read the specs on the Timbrens you posted it appears to me they may not be what you need/want if they are as described, which is for a heavily loaded vehicle. I use the black Sumo Springs on my F350 as they are the softest version and seem to help when needed. When I bought them I called Sumo and they said the harder yellow version might not give me the cushioning I was wanting.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:55 AM   #18

I had them for a short while.. They were too harsh a ride for my liking. I then went to air bags, they were much better, if you could keep air equal in them. I then went with Sumo Springs and bingo, they did the trick, the ride was fantastic and I didn't have to worry about losing air. That's all I use now.
Dr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 02:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_st View Post
So it sounds like you might be overloading your suspension somewhat, standard disclaimers apply, may cause california in cancer.

Timbrens will put load into the center span of a frame rail, while good for short duration incidents I'd be leery depending on circumstances. I have had fantastic experiences, going to a local spring shop and saying here's what I'm planning to do, lets get a set of springs that'll be happy doing it. I had a spring shop equip an older F250 to haul 6000 pounds now and again, for 400k miles. It wasn't expensive relatively and it lasted decades, still going. One more thought is tire flex is heat and more pressure = less heat, excess heat is bad of course. Depending on the load rating of your tires, you may be at max inflation or a little over to keep the heat under control if you're running heavy. Just don't run fast and heavy.

Now Ford offers what looks like 4 different sets of springs for the F150 anyway, perhaps swapping out to one of those would fit your bill, what's your rear axle weight rating on the door tag? My spring shop got mad when I bought a rancho add-a-leaf, it went flat in a month and mister spring says those go in the scrap pile as the spring recycler doesn't want that garbage metal.
My truck has the heavy duty rear end. The 'beefiest' available for the 2023 2.7L EcoBoost. L6 Axle tag (9.75") I really don't know IF I need the springs or just the hitch adjusted. I'm going to tow one more time this coming week, then on my way home, stop by the trailer shop where I have an appointment for them to assess my set-up. If it can use the springs, great. If not, I'll return them. Also, I keep hearing how the springs give you a terrible ride when there's no load. IF there's no load and the springs are installed correctly, they shouldn't even be making contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 4.31.21 PM.jpg   Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 4.28.26 PM.png