Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Timbren SES help!

Ok, looking for thoughts/advice etc. Recently installed Timbren springs on the rear of our truck, not to sure what to expect, but what is going on so far is a long ways from from good. They did help with sway, but unfortunately we were quite often being bounced to death in the truck. I've really never had a trailer behave as badly as this. This was during a 180mile trip to the dealer to get some warranty work done.

There are only two things I can think of, one is Timbrens don't work as claimed, which is a little hard to believe given lots a good reviews of them.
The other is the rear of the truck isn't dropping as much, due the
Timbrens and is causing the trailer tongue to sit higher than it was before? The tongue of the trailer "looked" ok, but I have not measured it. This really is the only explanation I can come up with.

For those who have used Timbren's, did you need to make adjustments to your hitch after installing them? I really want these to work as they did a great job stopping sway, but had I possessed the tools at the time, I would have ripped these things off along the Interstate.

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

If you have your hitch adjusted/sized properly you shouldn't need them with a TT. Did your truck squat that much when you hitched up?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

I have the timbrens on my truck and I will say that the truck is rougher riding with the timbrens. I found out that I didn't have my hitch set up correctly after I installed the timbrens; I introduced the timbrens to fix a problem that was at least in part a hitch set-up problem. So...my hitch is set up correctly now and the truck rides rougher than I want but the other option of bouncing down the road is worse.

2014 Ram 1500 2X4
2014 White Hawk 27RBOK
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you have your hitch adjusted/sized properly you shouldn't need them with a TT. Did your truck squat that much when you hitched up?
Guess I should mention my reason for getting these was to try and cut back on the side sway caused by crosswinds etc.

If you mean did it squat a lot before the Timbrens, not an unusual amount, I spent a great deal of time at the CAT scale getting my hitch properly adjusted and it DID ride really good before adding the Timbrens. Beginning to think this was a $200+ mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
I have the timbrens on my truck and I will say that the truck is rougher riding with the timbrens. I found out that I didn't have my hitch set up correctly after I installed the timbrens; I introduced the timbrens to fix a problem that was at least in part a hitch set-up problem. So...my hitch is set up correctly now and the truck rides rougher than I want but the other option of bouncing down the road is worse.
I could handle a somewhat rougher ride, but I am bouncing down the road with them, never had this issue before.
ITBC
Old 11-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

I have had two sets of Timbrens on two different vehicles and have been totally satisfied that they reduced the "squat" issue I was having. However the installation on my first vehicle wasn't done properly and I was getting severe bounce when driving with no load. It is important that after installing the Timbrens that there is at gap of up to 1" between the bump stop and the timbren. When loaded the Timbren will compress and make contact with the bump stop. I also had to adjust the height of the hitch. Call the company...I found them to be very helpful...check the website.
Bodro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodro View Post
It is important that after installing the Timbrens that there is at gap of up to 1" between the bump stop and the timbren.
This is crucial with the Timbrens. If you don't have at least a 1in gap, you'll be bouncing off even the small bumps. I have them on my F-250 because my tongue weight is 1400lbs and I had some pretty bad sag. They don't really affect my no load ride unless I hit a really big bump, then I can feel them. I readjusted my WDH by tilting the hitch head back and had to go 1 chain link longer on my spring bars to make up the hookup height. My truck/trailer combo rides much nicer now with less sway and bounce.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Call the manufacturer,

They are very helpful in fine tuning the installation. They have spacers that will help take care of any height problems that prevent the Timbrens from doing the job.

When I am not towing, my truck does not even see the Timbrens.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #8

They do have a good 1in gap with no load, the truck rides fine with no load.

Its when the camper is hitched up the trouble begins. I did add one more link on the bars, but it made no real difference, still bounced us all over at times. By this I mean my wife couldn't even send a text on her phone, because she couldn't hold it steady enough. I had to drop down to about 40-45mph at times to even make it tolerable.

I am wondering if the hitch height is the problem? The trailer was dead on level before, but I guess if the Timbrens are preventing squat, maybe it's no longer level. Hard to believe an 1" or so on hitch height could go from a good ride to almost out of control bouncing at times. I'll have to flip the shank over, as I am at the lowest point in the "up" position, that will lower the ball by 1 3/4". I did email Timbren to see what they have to say.
ITBC
Old 11-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Site Team

I will back off and just follow cause I pull a fiver and do not have any solutions. Sounds like you need some adjustments in the WDH.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #10

amabee-sorry, I misread you're post and thought you were mostly referencing a no load ride. Question; When you're hooked up, do the Timbrens rest on the bumpstops with a little compression? If there is even the slightest gap, they will bump/bounce you right out of your truck.

TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote