Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 04:16 AM   #1

Timbren SES woes...

I had Timbren SES helper "springs" installed an my TV and now I have a truck that rides like a covered wagon when towing. My original intention was to eliminate a bouncy ride while towing...I later found out my hitch was not setup correctly.

Now that my hitch is setup properly I am considering removing/having someone remove them to get a smoother ride. Not sure I can do it myself and I want to avoid spending the money and wish I hadn't had them removed.

Anyone else out there using them? What is your opinion? Any thoughts/suggestions?

- Collin

Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

They should be easy to remove... just a couple U-bolts. I've never used them. My previous truck had airbags. I debated between the two, but the minimal price difference and the adjustability of the airbags won me over.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #3

Timbrens when properly installed should have about 1/2 to an inch of space in between where it makes contact with the axle when empty. There should be no change in ride quality when unloaded, but you may notice a bit of a stiffer ride when its loaded which is perfectly normal and tells you they are doing their job.

I have timbrens all the way around on my Tahoe because I plow snow with it and also tow. The Tahoe does ride like a "lumber wagon" (as my wife says) all the time and I actually notice it rides better when hooked up. This is due to warn out springs on my Tahoe.

In some cases, removing timbrens is as easy as just tugging on it. Both sets in my Tahoe just "pop" into the factory mounts (no bolts). If it is riding stiff while towing, id leave them, because that tells me they are doing what they should be doing. If you notice it when empty, its really up to you.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
I had Timbren SES helper "springs" installed an my TV and now I have a truck that rides like a covered wagon when towing. My original intention was to eliminate a bouncy ride while towing...I later found out my hitch was not setup correctly.

Now that my hitch is setup properly I am considering removing/having someone remove them to get a smoother ride. Not sure I can do it myself and I want to avoid spending the money and wish I hadn't had them removed.

Anyone else out there using them? What is your opinion? Any thoughts/suggestions?

- Collin
Agree with Plowtoy.

I've had Timbrens on the rear of my truck for over 7 years. They do not impact the unladen ride at all if properly sized and installed. They just replace the stock bumper stops. Their only contact with the rear axle should be when there is sufficient load on the rear springs to make them touch. The are progressive so they exert incrementally increasing resistance against the load as the load increases. Mine just mount with a single bolt up through the center. I love them.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

I love my Timbrens. With a properly adjusted hitch they get rid of more of the bounce. Also adds more stability when towing or heavily loaded.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
I love my Timbrens. With a properly adjusted hitch they get rid of more of the bounce. Also adds more stability when towing or heavily loaded.
Agree with all of this. With a WDH setup, the Timbrens must rest on the bumpstops when loaded or they'll beat you to death.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input.

Well it sounds like I am having a different experience than others.

I noticed everyone who is happy with them has a truck with leaf springs; anyone out there with rear coils like my Ram has? Maybe that's the difference?
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
Thanks for all the input.

Well it sounds like I am having a different experience than others.

I noticed everyone who is happy with them has a truck with leaf springs; anyone out there with rear coils like my Ram has? Maybe that's the difference?
Collinp -
Have you called the manufacturer of Timbrens and talked to their techs? They should be able to provide some insight for you.
Home - Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products
Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

Problem is you're loading too much on the rear of your 1500 Eco. Most Eco's only have around 1100lbs for payload. Load in you and the family, add the TW for the TT and you've overloaded the rear axle. Now couple all that with a 7000lb TT that's 31.5' long and it's no wonder you have a crappy ride. Too much TT for that truck.

Why did you add the Timbrens anyway? If the rear was sagging too much it's because you're loading too much on it. IMO I'd just get some stiffer WD bars.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #10

I use Timbrens as well on a leaf sprung F-350. I have heard multiple woes about the coil sprung rear suspensions not doing well with towing, having bad stability, etc. I spoke with an RV dealer owner and he was getting rid of his truck with that setup because he couldn't make it stable. Goducks point seems kinda rude and one sided to me. My truck can carry the weight but does it better with the Timbrens. I also find that they help with side to side rocking, and thus stability while traveling as well as carrying the load. It would interesting for you to pull the same camper with a leaf sprung truck with the same general ratings as yours, and see what the difference is. I would think that would be good information for all to have.

djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote