Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Sorry about the Dodge-Ford thing, but I have been the loudmouth "GM rocks and everything else sucks guy" most of my life.
I had the same opinion with regards to Ford. Always had one and always drove one. When I was looking at getting a diesel, the wife convinced me to drive the big 3...afterwards, for whatever reason, the Ram won me over hands down!

Dan

'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #12

What I find interesting is that Dodge split off a division for their trucks and it is just RAM. And Chevy and Ram do not even use a GM or Dodge motor, but someone elses. Ironic. And when you dig into where all the parts come from, you may come to the conclusion that they are neither any more.

P.S. In my experience, it is not the motors that are the weak link anyway. It is the transmissions. Most of the motors will do 500K but the transmissions won't. And at least for Ram, no one rebuilds the Aisons.

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

I have a 2015 GMC DMAX with a 27DSRL. Driving down the road I have to remind myself there is a camper back there! Pulled through the Rockies this summer no problem. Unless there are a lot of hills I don't use Tow/Haul and the thing goes down the road at 1400RPM about 65MPH with no downshifting. Not sure about the older diesels but I have been very happy with mine. If you can find a 3500 its not much more $ for lots more payload. I bought my TV with the intention of upgrading to a larger 5er in a year or two. Went to the Tampa RV show last week and there wasn't a 5er on the lot (except for some toyhaulers) that exceeded my truck's payload.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #14

I was never ever a Dodge guy, but a wise old man( 86 year old friend of a friend) told me not to rule it out and to take a look at the RAM before I buy my Chevy I wanted. I looked into it and couldn't be happier. Wife still makes fun of this Chevy guy driving a RAM. She loves it as much as me

2014 Jay Flight 24 FBS
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 Laramie MC Turbo Diesel
Wendy the Wife & Bailey the Lab
Tom_OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
What I find interesting is that Dodge split off a division for their trucks and it is just RAM. And Chevy and Ram do not even use a GM or Dodge motor, but someone elses. Ironic. And when you dig into where all the parts come from, you may come to the conclusion that they are neither any more.

P.S. In my experience, it is not the motors that are the weak link anyway. It is the transmissions. Most of the motors will do 500K but the transmissions won't. And at least for Ram, no one rebuilds the Aisons.
FYI Ford only began building their own diesel engines in 2011. Prior to that Ford also used a contract engine builder. At one point a few years ago Ford was even a minority share holder in Cummins.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I had the same opinion with regards to Ford. Always had one and always drove one. When I was looking at getting a diesel, the wife convinced me to drive the big 3...afterwards, for whatever reason, the Ram won me over hands down!

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
"GM rocks and everything else sucks guy" most of my life. While this opinion certainly doesn't hold true any more, my ego just isn't ready for the relentless harassment if I was to make the switch. For now, I can stay GM and satisfy my needs. Thanks to all for the help so far. I really do appreciate it.
Laughed a little when I read your posts. Ive been a "GM rocks guy" forever. My previous truck was an 04 Chev HD 2500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed. 120kmiles. Awesome truck. Over time they made the HP and torque better with the newer model trucks but I never had any complaints. But then we decided to get a larger fifth wheel and I needed a bigger truck. Looked at the GMs but the interiors just felt to much the same to me after the last 25 years or so. So my mind started to wander and began to consider becoming a "traitor" to my brand. That Cummins engine is awesome but I ended up going to the Ford. I have been happy with this Super Duty but man do I still get crap from my "friends" for buying something other than a GM. I hate to drive up and see those guys cuz they still won't give my "change of heart " a pass. That being said...get what you want! Climb into that cockpit and feel the roar. If you don't feel "it"...go get into another cockpit...
Old 01-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #17

I heard a diesel mechanic say the '09 - '12 Duramax is a good motor. Earlier version of the motor had injection problems.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #18

2003's had an injector problem, but I think GM probably conquered that going forward. I had a 2003 GMC D/A combo and had the injectors replaced under warranty and used that truck to pull our FW and boat for about six more years until selling it and getting a Ram 3/4 ton diesel with a manual transmission and derated engine. Had that truck for nine months and went back to GMC because of the disappointing mileage and my perception of lack of towing ability compared to the GMC, as well as my not liking to back with the manual transmission when looking over my shoulder as I get older and less flexible. I believe all the diesels are very good right now, I think it comes down to preference for some things like interior, ride and comfort, and price. When I was looking for a vehicle to replace the Ram I bought and sold, I found that, at least around here, the Fords were quite a bit higher in price than the Ram or GM products and I did try to compare the prices with similar equipment.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #19

We went from an 05 F150 to an 08 Ram 3500 and it has been great for towing our trailer. My wife is far more relaxed when we are driving which makes me much more relaxed. Diesels are great for towing.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #20

I have told this story in previous posts. I upgraded from a '96 K2500 suburban in 2010 because we wore it out. I couldn't find a used long bed CC diesel that was worth spending money on. Either wornout and too expensive, or it was a salvage rebuild and not worth the risk. Therefore looked at new.

The 2010 GM model drove just fine, good turning radius and low step-in height. The interior was looked just like my '96, it didn't seat six, and the back seats were small.

The 2010 ford also drove fine, little stiffer and a little taller, and loud. The interior was futuristic, the front seats were too narrow and not comfortable. and small back seat was small and low.

The 2010 Ram was a surprise! Large back seats with lots of leg room. comfortable front seats. Tall ride height like the ford with similar turning radius. AND QUIET

The Ram was the cheapest, and had the best incentive package, and has been sitting in my driveway for 5 years and 70K miles. In the end, how well your butt fits in the driver's seat is the one you should buy.

Tim
2010 Ram 2500 LBCC
2008 JFLT 26BHS

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote