Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Tire Change Hitched or Unhitched

Yesterday, DW and I were unhitched and ran into town for dinner. She stated I think you just ran over something in the road and sure enough in two minutes the low-pressure tire light came on and we pulled into a parking lot. As soon as I open the door I hear hissing from the LR tire on my 2012 Nissan Titan. While my 45 year old brain that is located in a 64-year-old body discussed the issue and agreed no problem 15 minutes tops to change. Well 35 minutes later after fighting with the 100 lbs. plus spare and getting it mounted it was done. Off to the tire shop and they found a broken utility knife blade in the tread. Tire guy said one in a million chance on getting this. Then he dropped it into a glass jar, which was filled with other items from tires with a one in a million chance of getting stuck in a tire.

Question? If this had happened while hitched to our 26ft White Hawk, would I have had to disengage the WDH and unhitched to change the tire on the TV. Or could I, now rethinking calling the tow guy, just jacked up the tire and change it hitched.
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

My opinion is to take the weight of the axle with the flat.
For a front tire, that'll be just undoing the WDH torsion bars.
For a rear, why use the OEM jack to lift the truck+axle+tongue weight?
Also, isn't the spare located under the bed? Its kinda tough to operate the winch while the trailer is attached, isn't it?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:22 AM   #3

Mike, you are saying if a front tire is flat take the WDH bars off the bracket. That way the weight is cut down on the front tires. Just jack and replace tire. If the flate in on the rear leave the WDH in place. Jack up the rear hitch jack up the rear flat tire and replace. As for getting the spare off no problem the way the crank for the spare tire comes down.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

I don't see any need to to unhook either front or back. I don't think the extra hitch spread over 4 tire would matter very much. I changed one several years ago for a older couple with no problem use the stock jack.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
My opinion is to take the weight of the axle with the flat.
For a front tire, that'll be just undoing the WDH torsion bars.
For a rear, why use the OEM jack to lift the truck+axle+tongue weight?
Also, isn't the spare located under the bed? Its kinda tough to operate the winch while the trailer is attached, isn't it?
X2. My advice . . . unhitch the TT after blocking/chocking it's wheels when changing the rear tire on the TV. Some trailers can add as much as 1000-1200 lbs on the rear of the TV. However, if you have a lightweight or or hybrid trailer, I'm not sure I would bother.

But you can always stay connected, but disengage the WDH if changing the a front tire on the TV. The WDH is trying to throw weight forward to the front axle and would fight the efforts of the jack up front.

And I might add, I don't see a need to unhitch when changing any tire on the trailer.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #6

OK

Thanks to all