Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #1

Tire Pressure Question

Hi all, I thought I had read a thread on this once, but can't seem to find it now. I have searched the web on this and find many differing opinions, but should I inflate both my TV and TT tires to a certain amount (max psi on sidewall, 80%, etc)? I have never really messed with the TT tires (I know I need to be more aware) but was under the assumption that the dealer would have the "correct" amount of air in them. I have always left my TV tires inflated to what they normally are and haven't had many issues, but wondering if more air would make a much better ride?
Upstater88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater88 View Post
Hi all, I thought I had read a thread on this once, but can't seem to find it now. I have searched the web on this and find many differing opinions, but should I inflate both my TV and TT tires to a certain amount (max psi on sidewall, 80%, etc)? I have never really messed with the TT tires (I know I need to be more aware) but was under the assumption that the dealer would have the "correct" amount of air in them. I have always left my TV tires inflated to what they normally are and haven't had many issues, but wondering if more air would make a much better ride?
Some tires have inflation levels based on weight the tires are carrying. It would depend on what the manufacturer says to do.

As for TV many people will run rear tires at max to be sure they have stiffest side walls for stability and front tires 10 (or whatever they like) under max.

Tires pressures not only contribute to ride quality but heat built up and wear.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #3

There are 2 labels you should get to know, One on the trailer and one on the truck. On the lower left front corner of the trailer is a label noting tire size and inflation specs. Inside the drivers door of your TV is a label showing load info and well as tire size and inflation specs. Follow those and enjoy the ride. When I’m not towing, I do reduce rear tire pressure on the TV as the load is about 3000# lower.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
There are 2 labels you should get to know, One on the trailer and one on the truck. On the lower left front corner of the trailer is a label noting tire size and inflation specs. Inside the drivers door of your TV is a label showing load info and well as tire size and inflation specs. Follow those and enjoy the ride. When I’m not towing, I do reduce rear tire pressure on the TV as the load is about 3000# lower.
Thanks! Now for a potentially stupid question. On the TV door, is that put together using the tires from the factory? I run Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs that did not come on the vehicle, so will that change the numbers?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #5

What I do, and what I recommend, is inflate the TT and TV tires to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall (I do keep my TV front tires at 7psi below max for better handling). That gives the maximum load carrying ability for the tires, reduces sidewall flex for cooler running, and increases resistance to sway.

At higher inflation there is the potential for increased wear at the center of the tires so watch for that. I have my tires rotated every ~5,000mi and have never have had any abnormal wear.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #6

For the trailer, you should run max tire pressure (measured when cold). I always check them before I leave on a trip.

As for the TV, that is more challenging and you will hear a lot of different comments. You do not mention what your TT is nor your TV. The sticker on the door, really is for Federal regulations to get the best fuel efficiency with a comfortable ride, when the TV leaves the factory. Some people freak out with the thought of using a different tire pressure. Higher the pressure, the stiffer the sidewall affect. Also if you are running no load with a high pressure, you can bow out the center of the tread patch and cause a greater wear in the center of the tire.

Feel free to play with the TV tire pressures. My last set of tires where terrible for towing. I settled on increasing the rear pressures by 10 psi, and the front by 5 psi. That is what gave me the best handling.

Now I just purchased new LT tires for my truck, and have only towed maybe 3 miles so far with them, and ran 35psi. My plan is to tow this first campout with the OEM recommended pressures, and on the way home increase the pressures to what I used on my last set of tires. From there, I will adjust up or down on the next few trips, noting how the combination feels at highway speed. When I find a spot I like, I'll note it in my mileage/maintenance book for future reference.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

There are tire manufacturers who don't recommend max pressure all the time, why should we be inflating to max pressure blindly then?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

For TV tire pressure, as Jagiven said, feel free to play with them a little. I got new tires once and had the my mileage drop by 2-3 mpg on one truck I had. I found that I needed to keep them at an extra 4 psi., so I ran them at 39 and they were just fine.

However, every tire manufacturer and every tire re-seller will tell you, for day to day use, inflate them to the recommended PSI on the door sticker. I've always done that for the most part and have always met or exceeded the tire's warranty mileage. I do increase the rear tires on the truck when towing and bring them back down when not towing.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #9

I talked with a Goodyear tire engineer when I was looking to buy the Endurance tire. He told me to always inflate the tire to the max pressure listed on the sidewall, this will keep the sidewall rigid and the tire running cooler, overheating is the enemy of tires.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I talked with a Goodyear tire engineer when I was looking to buy the Endurance tire. He told me to always inflate the tire to the max pressure listed on the sidewall, this will keep the sidewall rigid and the tire running cooler, overheating is the enemy of tires.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that with trailer tires, Jayco's manual says to inflate them to the max PSI on the sidewall. I've read the same is true for other trailer manufacturers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post

That works if you keep the same tires as original. But many of us, purchase a better ie higher grade E load say, tires and the inflation rate is much different. I run at or very close to the tire pressure listed on the side of the tire. My Original on the Tundra were listed at 36 psi.. my new tires list at 44 lbs of pressure...running at 36 makes the tire appear (especially with TT hooked up) like it's almost flat.

Same with my TT tires, went to Goodyear endurance, listed at 80 psi.. old tires were 55 psi... I run those at 75 and will adjust as we travel to see where I get the best performance.

Can't go wrong with the tire mfg suggest PSI in my opinion.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
There are tire manufacturers who don't recommend max pressure all the time, why should we be inflating to max pressure blindly then?

I don't want this thread to turn into a pi$$ing war regarding tire inflation. My humble opinion has been stated many times in similar threads.

However, if Goodyear wanted their Endurance ST (Special Trailer) tires inflated to the maximum stated on the side of the tire, why on earth would they publish this?

Murff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rv_inflation.pdf (506.1 KB, 60 views)

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
I don't want this thread to turn into a pi$$ing war regarding tire inflation. My humble opinion has been stated many times in similar threads.

However, if Goodyear wanted their Endurance ST (Special Trailer) tires inflated to the maximum stated on the side of the tire, why on earth would they publish this?

Murff
I was just about to post this. Beat me to it
Old 05-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #14

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to figure this out myself. If I follow the Goodyear inflation chart, and divide the trailer maximum possible weight by 4, I get 2750# per tire, which tells me to inflate them to 50psi. If I look at the sticker on the side on my trailer, it clearly says 80#. Goodyear supplies the chart, but also says in their literature to go with the rv manufacturers number.
So it's 80# for me.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 11.30.07 PM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	49543
Old 05-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff

How it was explained to me was, this chart is the MINIMUM PSI based on load your tires should be inflated too.. NOT the maximum PSI that the tires should be inflated too. Lower pressure MAY give you a softer ride, while higher PSI may give you more mileage and longer wear. I was told it was suggested you inflate to the PSI on the tire for maximum side wall support but never inflate below the PSI on the chart. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it. One is never any lower than, other is never any higher than.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:39 AM   #17

I know there is an endless debate on inflating trailer tires to the max on the sidewall, or deflate down to what ever the chart says for a given load for a tire.

I'm firmly in the camp of inflating to the PSI on the side of the tire. I realize the ride in the trailer may be a little "harsher" but I've never seen any ill effects after arriving at my destination.

Also, if inflated to the max, should a little air escape, I know I still have plenty of cushion, making sure the tire isn't under inflated.

The fact remains, I do not know at any given time how much the weight has changed, nor how much the weight has moved from one tire to another. And even if I did know, I'd have to re-adjust the air in each tire constantly.

For this reason alone, I prefer to inflate to the sidewall max and be done with it. I will just periodically check the air in all my tires and fill them as needed.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #18

Well aren't I glad I asked the questions, some great responses. I am assuming the max psi on the tire sidewall is cold? Given that inflating to that pressure cold, will probably make the psi over the max once the tire heats up?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater88 View Post
Well aren't I glad I asked the questions, some great responses. I am assuming the max psi on the tire sidewall is cold? Given that inflating to that pressure cold, will probably make the psi over the max once the tire heats up?

Yep but that is all taken into account when putting that number on the tire. That's why it says cold tire inflation.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
I take the weather-(ambient temp & sunny/cloudy) into account.
On the TT tires: If it's 40 degrees and cloudy I inflate to Max pressure on the tire. If it's a sunny 90 degree day then I go 3 psi under max inflation.
On TV tires: I stay in between the door jam # and max on tire. For rear tires I'm about 90% of the max on tire, for front tires I add ~3 psi above the pressure on the door.