Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

Tire Question

My Chev Silverado 1500 TWD needs new tires I got along OK with i.e. passenger tire but am thinking of going to a light truck tire for the stiffer sidewall and higher air pressures. Can my current rims handle the higher pressure? Is this a good idea?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
My Chev Silverado 1500 TWD needs new tires I got along OK with i.e. passenger tire but am thinking of going to a light truck tire for the stiffer sidewall and higher air pressures. Can my current rims handle the higher pressure? Is this a good idea?
OE Aluminum wheels are usually forged, and will handle loads you wouldn't subject the truck to. Steelies, you might be able to make out a stamping on them with the info, but I wouldn't check. Most dont. Pressure wise, you likely wouldn't be running a higher pressure. Just because the max rated pressure of a tire is higher, that doesn't mean you need to raise the operating pressure. Check your door sticker, it might list pressure for more than the P rated rubber. A 1500 pickup, chances are you wanna be around 35psi anyways for normal driving. Maybe 40 or a bit higher with a load on.

With LTs it's not so much that they will carry more load. I've seen P rated tires that actually had a higher max load than a 6ply rated in the same size. Used to be that many 3500 duallys came with 8ply rated tires, not 10ply. (6ply is a "C", 8 a "D", 10 an "E".... but that's ply RATING, not actual plies in construction) The important thing, and what you likely desire, is a higher rated tire will HANDLE a load better. Better braking, handling, etc. under a given load..... in general. Tire ratings are often rather vague and industry standards are based on scientific tests that don't always correlate to real world conditions.

In short.... sure. Throw some LTs on there. You'll be fine.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Girth. I run my current passenger tires at 40 lbs. during towing season which helps the squirming a lot.A buddy went to LT tires and said it helped even more.so I thought I might try it?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
Thanks for the info Girth. I run my current passenger tires at 40 lbs. during towing season which helps the squirming a lot.A buddy went to LT tires and said it helped even more.so I thought I might try it?
If our Mommymobile (Or "War Wagon" as the Mrs calls it , a K1500 Suburban) saw more than the occasional tow, I would DEFINITELY put LTs on it.

P-rated nasty Goodyears on my pickup (K1500 Sierra) right now too, but when I get around to throwing them away, LTs will go on.

I've just never enjoyed how P rated tires handle on a pickup. You will likely notice a difference, especially if it's the rig you often tow with. Even if you don't, you'll get a tire with a little heavier construction, and that's never a bad thing.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:17 AM   #5

Girth nailed it. Buy LT’s but keep the pressure at door tag numbers, or 5 lbs higher at or near max payload.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #6

You won't regret the switch to LT tires.
On 4WD the difference is amazing. Better traction in all drive modes, firmer ride, better handling and towing is less "squishy".
I went from OEM BFG "off road" tires to E rated Duratracs from Goodyear. Night and day. I run 45 lbs for all uses, tire is max 80, 32 was just too soft.
For 2WD a less aggressive tread would serve you well enough and be a bit quieter too. Not that the Duratracs are noisy, but you know they're there.
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
Site Team

I have 2 friends who use Michelin MS/2 on their heavy fivers and have had great service from them. LR E, Another who uses Firestone Trans force HD.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have 2 friends who use Michelin MS/2 on their heavy fivers and have had great service from them. LR E, Another who uses Firestone Trans force HD.

OP was inquiring about tires for his truck and going from passenger tires to LT tires.

OP, I would definitely go with LT tires on your truck.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #9

you should look to see if you can go with xl tires they have a load rating usually north of 115... and pressures in the 50-60 lbs..

some tires are not marked xl (extra load) but still have impressive load ratings.. always look at the load rating that will tell you what your limits really are...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

Went with Michelin Defender LTX and after first 500 mile trip am delighted with them
. 40 lbs. air and no squirm or sway. Truck sets about 2" higher than with Goodyears even though same size.