Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #1

Tire Upgrade for Small 4cyl SUV towing 145RB

I am replacing the tires on our 2013 Tiguan. It currently has Continental Contipro 235 50 18's . The Tiguan tows our Jayco 145 RB trailer very well but we need to replace wornout tires and wanted to upgrade. I have done some internet research as well as talked with tire shops and have settled on Goodyear Eagle Sport GT's in the same size. They are an all season tire in the "high performance category with a "W" speed rating instead of the original "H" of the ContiPro's. This means a stiffer wall and better heat tolerance over the Conti's.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
I am replacing the tires on our 2013 Tiguan. It currently has Continental Contipro 235 50 18's . The Tiguan tows our Jayco 145 RB trailer very well but we need to replace wornout tires and wanted to upgrade. I have done some internet research as well as talked with tire shops and have settled on Goodyear Eagle Sport GT's in the same size. They are an all season tire in the "high performance category with a "W" speed rating instead of the original "H" of the ContiPro's. This means a stiffer wall and better heat tolerance over the Conti's.
Whats the point in putting a high [168mph] speed sports car tire on a basic small suv? Think your tire guy is feeding you Hooy.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Are you trying solve a problem you are having with your current tires? Unless you go to an AT style tire you won't notice any difference in towing ability.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #4

I have the Goodyear Eagle GT II on my Trailblazer SS. I love them but the "all season" claim is if you live in Florida. I still run a snow tire package here in the north east.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #5

Direct quote from "The Toronto Globe and Mail" - On the surface, there is no need to buy a tire with a higher rating. But it is not that simple. Vehicle loads and inflation pressure directly affect how much a tire will flex and the amount of heat generated, so there is a need for safety margin. And, during the development process, suspension engineers designate a tire size and speed rating – often higher for cars that may see use on the autobahn.

That rating also takes into account the size or depth of the sidewall, the "profile" of the tire. A lower profile means a stiffer sidewall and less flex and heat. Tires rated for extremely high speeds, without exception, have a very short sidewall. Tires with a low speed rating tend to have very deep sidewalls that will flex a lot more and create more heat. And tires with a higher speed rating have a stiffer sidewall and are more responsive to steering input and better under severe braking.

There are numerous articles on-line from sources not affiliated with tire companies attesting to the advantages of going to a higher speed rating.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
Direct quote from "The Toronto Globe and Mail" - On the surface, there is no need to buy a tire with a higher rating. But it is not that simple. Vehicle loads and inflation pressure directly affect how much a tire will flex and the amount of heat generated, so there is a need for safety margin. And, during the development process, suspension engineers designate a tire size and speed rating – often higher for cars that may see use on the autobahn.

That rating also takes into account the size or depth of the sidewall, the "profile" of the tire. A lower profile means a stiffer sidewall and less flex and heat. Tires rated for extremely high speeds, without exception, have a very short sidewall. Tires with a low speed rating tend to have very deep sidewalls that will flex a lot more and create more heat. And tires with a higher speed rating have a stiffer sidewall and are more responsive to steering input and better under severe braking.

There are numerous articles on-line from sources not affiliated with tire companies attesting to the advantages of going to a higher speed rating.

So I guess you have proved that you are right so go for it. It sounds to me like the report pretty much says that the design engineers spec a tire that is BEST for the vehicle so higher or lower is not justified. Your buggy will still be a buggy even if you put racing slicks on it. But at the end of the day it is your Buggy and your $$$ so what the hey! Well I guess that at the end of the day it will be your buggy with more expensive tires and the $$$ will belong to the guy at the tire store.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote