Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

edit: I have noticed from a few pics on here and many I have seen in person that some people thread their break away cable through their safety chains.
Mine came from the factory threaded through the safety chain. But I still hook the loop on my truck.

I like your idea of using a chain link for the termination point.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
it is no good attached to the safety chain. The intention is if you get complete separation from the TV the brakes engage. Complete separation means your chains are off as well. Which means your break away switch is still engaged.

Attach it to the receiver right beside the safety chain that way it will always be hooked to the TV and it will yank the pin guaranteed

on edit: I reread your post and it sounds like you are going through the vehicles hitch first then attaching it to the chain so you are likely good to go. I still prefer it all on its own. I just use a threaded chain link to attach it right to the hole on the trucks receiver.
Thanks! You're right, I was going through the TV receiver before attaching, but I think I'll change the setup anyway. Rather be safe than sorry.

robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #33

I use a snap link to attach mine to the truck hitch.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I use a snap link to attach mine to the truck hitch.

I have a clip just like that, but the gate is not wide enough to clip onto my receiver separately. I will get a new one at some point, but for now, it's hooked on my chain hook... Probably not the best, so I'll fix it sooner than later.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #35

I'm guilty with it being threaded through the safety chains!!!!This is the way my dealer had it and the way it's remained...I will be making a change.....What really happens when the break away switch is activated and one is traveling 65mph?....Are the breaks applied gradually or is it an immediate sudden jolt of a stop???

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
I'm guilty with it being threaded through the safety chains!!!!This is the way my dealer had it and the way it's remained...I will be making a change.....What really happens when the break away switch is activated and one is traveling 65mph?....Are the breaks applied gradually or is it an immediate sudden jolt of a stop???
To the best of my knowledge, once the pin is pulled from the breakaway switch, the brakes on the trailer are applied full force.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post

full power to brakes. So yes they will lock up quick

also do whatever makes you feel comfortable as well. If you like it threaded keep it that way as long as the end of it is secured to the TV and not the chain. I just prefer it on its own if not for maybe getting tangled somehow in the chain or if the chain gets hit and it pulls the pin by mistake (which wouldn't be fun). With it up out of the way on its own I can look after a bit better in my mind.

at the end of the day don't lose sleep over it. I am sure it will never happen. I have never heard of a complete disconnect and even the ones in accidents where they get flipped usually the trailer is still attached
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #38

As far as exess cable on the breakaway switch, a buddy showed me a how he ties a "loop" in the cable. It is just a big loose overhand knot. Works great to keep it from dragging. Looks something like this: (imagine one end connected to the TV and the other to the switch)
Old 09-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

My E-brake cable doesn't pass through any component/fastener, it has a direct path to the TV and is latched through two holes directly in the TV frame (curiosity of GM), not the receiver.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #40
Site Team

I am taking my TT in for service tomorrow and the break away switch is one of the things on my punch list to have checked. On our last trip the pin got pulled out " I think in a tight turn in the CG" but I did not notice it until I was already in my site and was getting ready to unhook. In other words the brakes did not activate.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote