Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
I am taking my TT in for service tomorrow and the break away switch is one of the things on my punch list to have checked. On our last trip the pin got pulled out " I think in a tight turn in the CG" but I did not notice it until I was already in my site and was getting ready to unhook. In other words the brakes did not activate.
interesting..would be nice to know what happened there.

maybe your battery is dead? or is it even hooked up
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Mine came from the factory threaded through the safety chain. But I still hook the loop on my truck.

I like your idea of using a chain link for the termination point.
That`s the way I`ve always done it, and used the chain link as pictured earlier hooked to the hitch.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
That`s the way I`ve always done it, and used the chain link as pictured earlier hooked to the hitch.
The only reason we hear from time-to-time about not hooking the e-brake cable to the TV receiver hitch, is that in the extreme event that the receiver hitch is pulled away from the TV the E-brake would not activate.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #44
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
The only reason we hear from time-to-time about not hooking the e-brake cable to the TV receiver hitch, is that in the extreme event that the receiver hitch is pulled away from the TV the E-brake would not activate.

Bob
yes this is definitely the best way . Unfortunately I would have to have a creeper to go under to find something on mine to attach to.

I always wondered whether it is a positive or negative effect anyway with so many roadways being divided.

Trailer unhooks and instead of careening into the ditch it slams on its brakes and with traffic right behind and likely spins out of control
Old 09-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post

Bob
Yikes! That would be bad.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

Trailer unhooks and instead of careening into the ditch it slams on its brakes and with traffic right behind and likely spins out of control
The theory is that the brake sets, and the chains still being attached to the TV, the trailer stops dead in its tracks. In reality I don't know if that's what really happens.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #47
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The theory is that the brake sets, and the chains still being attached to the TV, the trailer stops dead in its tracks. In reality I don't know if that's what really happens.
don't believe so. How would the pin get pulled?
plus my umbilical would still be attached giving me brake control.

this is from the E-trailer site
Breakaway kits are designed to bring trailers safely to a stop by activating the electric brakes should a trailer disconnect from the tow vehicle during transit. Ideally, the safety chains will prevent a trailer from disconnecting if the coupler comes off the ball. However, if the safety chains fail, the breakaway kit acts as a last line of defense against a runaway trailer. This type of safety system is required in most states for trailers weighing more than 3,000 lbs
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #48

thanks nb for taking the time to take the photo and posting it...I understand now what was explained...
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
interesting..would be nice to know what happened there.

maybe your battery is dead? or is it even hooked up

Battery fully charged power jack worked fine. I will update after i get it back from dealer.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #50

I also use the chain link to hook the e-brake to the same place my safety chains are hooked on my reese hitch. I have been doing that for over 30 years with no problems. I must also say I have never had a trailer get loose and I have also never really tested the break away function. I guess we should pull it out sometime and try to move the unit hooked up and see what happens. Fortunately, never needed it. Have switched to 5th wheeler after all these years so need to do some rethinking here! Still works the same way so can still pull the safety link out and test the brakes.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #51

Mine came threaded through the chain but connected seperately to the hitch. The tech said never connect it to the chain. I asked why and he looked at me funny and said just never do that. Luckily my brother was with me and was able to explain why to me and the dealer's tech.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #52

I also believe the cable should be free and on its own, not tied to chains or looped through anything, and connected directly to the truck's hitch using a snap or threaded link.

I had the breakaway pin pull out on me once while maneuvering the trailer at low speed without the weight distribution hooked up. I made a tight turn and since the trailer and truck rear end were not level there was extra tension on the cable. The trailer stopped dead in its tracks - only from about 5-10km/h though. Good knowing they work! I will make it a habit now once or twice a season to test this feature, as well as each time testing the normal trailer brake application using the manual gain control on the truck's brake controller.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
...I always wondered whether it is a positive or negative effect anyway with so many roadways being divided.

The direction any trailer will take once it fully disconnects from the TV is unpredictable. Here in 2006, a landscaper's truck was towing a chipper that broke free and careened. However, instead of into a ditch, it chose a deadly path into the opposing lane and collided with a minivan carrying four people. A father and two of his three children (triplets) were killed.

The results? Read them for yourself at this link.

http://www.caringlawyers.com/blog/20...and-kids.shtml

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #54
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
The direction any trailer will take once it fully disconnects from the TV is unpredictable. Here in 2006, a landscaper's truck was towing a chipper that broke free and careened. However, instead of into a ditch, it chose a deadly path into the opposing lane and collided with a minivan carrying four people. A father and two of his three children (triplets) were killed.

The results? Read them for yourself at this link.

http://www.caringlawyers.com/blog/20...and-kids.shtml

things happen...no way of knowing whether brakes would have made a difference.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #55

Quote:
things happen...no way of knowing whether brakes would have made a difference.
Nor do we know why the driver was found negligent and convicted of a crime. There is more to this than someone who had a trailer properly set up.

Quote:
don't believe so. How would the pin get pulled?
plus my umbilical would still be attached giving me brake control.
Makes sense. I hadn't thought about that. I don't think there is a stock answer to how a trailer is going to behave. Weight, length, balance of weight on the trailer, speed, and weather are all going to have an effect on what happens when that pin is pulled.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoecam View Post
Indeed, it's a good practice for the reasons mentioned above, even if not required by law.

In Michigan, however, it IS required by law:
MCL 257.721(3)

On re-reading it just now, I realized that the federal requirement that this section references only applies to implements of husbandry, and, therefore, would NOT apply to a RV being towed by another vehicle.

That being said, I thought I was discussing this with a coworker a while back, and he had told me about having received a ticket for 'improper connection' or something of the sort for just this issue. I need to do some more digging...
I don't understand the MI law. there is no mention of "crossing chains", and what does the law mean when

"The safety chains described in subsection (3) shall be securely attached at the extreme outer edge of the attached trailer or semitrailer with a locking mechanism. "

All chains are attached from the trailer tongue to the car hitch - both are centerline and not at "the extreme outer edge".

cross chains could cradle an uncoupled hitch in theory, however in reality, the tension released when a hitch uncoupled wouldn't necessarily result in a smooth and gentle rest on a crossed chain cradle.

I cross them to minimize slack and taught chains when turning, thereby minimizing the amount of chain slack needed and eliminate dragging on the road. (look at the chains on a U-haul rental to see the results from dragging chains on the road.)
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #57

I loose count of the amount of improperly set up towing arrangements. I've seen chains dragging, wdh bars not attached to the trailer, couplers unlocked and bouncing on the ball, tonque jack down and sparks flying off, e brake cable not attached or dragging, and even stabilizer jacks down. The times i've pointed it out at a rest stop / truck stop i sometimes get thanked and sometimes yelled at or told off lol.
On my personal truck i bolted a short length of chain to the frame rail and fed that up behind the license plate, a snap lock carabiner on the end provides a good attachment spot for the ebrake cable. Also it's a good idea to pull that plunger and test the brakes, i've seen many not work. Even new from the factory i've seen them forget to hook up the switch.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #58

My garage door opener has a wireless monitor that I've placed in my bedroom. I can see the light green (closed) or red (open) from the bed.

And if it's red, there's a button on the monitor to close it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Just like waking up in the middle of the night and think "Crap! Did I close the garage doors?" Laying there for 15-30 minutes trying to convince myself that I know I did. Then convincing myself I didn't. Get up, go check. They're closed. It's 3:00 a.m. and I am awake the rest of the night. LOL
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote