Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

To the California family in Michigan

To the California family in Michigan I ran into at the gas pumps Monday afternoon pulling JayFlight: I'm sorry that I didn't have enough time to finish explaining to the male passenger the function of the dangling breakaway cable you failed to connect to anything. I didn't mean to sound threatening when I mentioned that it may be a ticketable offense here in the mitten state. What I really wanted to explain to you was how horribly wrong every aspect of your round bar weight distributing hitch was set up for what I know was a very long trip for you and your family. The list was long:
-Four chain links on the bars
-Bars pointing uphill so far they were gouging the frame rails.
-the hitch head with absolutely no angle which was what necessitated the short chains
-the severe (and I mean severe) bend in the oem receiver due to the loads on it
-The lack of crossed safety chains (which IS a ticketable offense here in Michigan)

I wish you safe travels, but for the sake of everyone you share the road with, learn how to properly hitch your trailer before the rig fails you injure or kill someone!!
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

happens more often than you think....part of the blame is on the dealers handing over keys and not involving people in the hitch set up.

Although there were signs everywhere saying I couldn't be out in the shop when I picked up my trailer I didn't care and was going to be a part of the whole hitch set up
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #3

I know. It pains me to see people so blissfully unaware of the 8 tons of rig hurtling down the road at break-neck speeds. It scares me that police and the owners themselves are so completely unaware of the potential for something to go horribly awry.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #4

You mention crossed safety chains. Could you explain the reason? I just hook mine straight and have been towing for 20 years
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
You mention crossed safety chains. Could you explain the reason? I just hook mine straight and have been towing for 20 years
it is so IF the trailer unhooks it will "cradle" in the crossed chains instead of the coupler hitting the ground which hopefully will replicate the control as if it never fell off.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
it is so IF the trailer unhooks it will "cradle" in the crossed chains instead of the coupler hitting the ground
+1

Also it is illegal in many states to not have your chains crossed.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Just good practice although my utility trailer and most boat trailers I have seen with a single narrow pole have the chains attached from a single point on the pole so crossing them has zero effect.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
+1

Also it is illegal in many states to not have your chains crossed.
Done, I have now changed my connection arrangement

Thanks
Chris
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #9

Indeed, it's a good practice for the reasons mentioned above, even if not required by law.

In Michigan, however, it IS required by law:
MCL 257.721(3)

On re-reading it just now, I realized that the federal requirement that this section references only applies to implements of husbandry, and, therefore, would NOT apply to a RV being towed by another vehicle.

That being said, I thought I was discussing this with a coworker a while back, and he had told me about having received a ticket for 'improper connection' or something of the sort for just this issue. I need to do some more digging...
Old 09-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
happens more often than you think....part of the blame is on the dealers handing over keys and not involving people in the hitch set up.

Although there were signs everywhere saying I couldn't be out in the shop when I picked up my trailer I didn't care and was going to be a part of the whole hitch set up
+1

Some of these dealers are just maddeningly cavalier about what they're doing out there. The seem to not care at all that John Doe and family are putting themselves and everyone else on the road in danger because the dealer technician "couldn't afford" to take a few extra minutes to explain proper setup. And these buyers trust the staff at the dealership to not put them in harm's way, and they constantly violate that trust. It just bugs me.

And I even questioned my technician about why my hitch was setup wrong. He gave me some BS response; I wasn't buying for a second. So I just fixed it when I got back home to my tools.

I constantly ignore those signs too, though I will usually ask the technician if I can watch, just to be polite. I've never had one tell me "no".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #11

Its cool, they were driving a 1 ton diesel and under 60 mph so it was safe...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

Seeing some things towed down the road never ceases to amaze me. I think about how CAT scale weights, WDH and other things are discussed here advising how to get things set-up properly & safe. (which is a good thing!) And then you see something like what is described above and it makes me wonder if I over think my set up too much considering I have a relatively light trailer.
I have been a mile or 2 down the road and suddenly think ...."Did I remember to put my hitch pin in?!?!?" (or cross my chains or something else like that) I have pulled over to check it and knock on wood, I have never forgotten it. My wife thinks I need to be committed to the crazy house sometimes.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
My wife thinks I need to be committed to the crazy house sometimes.
Well, you wouldn't be alone! I'd be in there with you!

Just last time we were out, I had to stop just down the road from my house to make sure I'd locked the hitch pin, DW rolled her eyes, but I felt better. Of course, it was all hooked up right, just like every time, but you never know when you're going to walk back there and find you forgot something...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

I use one of these and route my electrical cord and break away switch through it. It keeps the cables from dragging on the ground and I know I always have it hooked up.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoecam View Post
snip.....What I really wanted to explain to you was how horribly wrong every aspect of your round bar weight distributing hitch was set up for what I know was a very long trip for you and your family......snip
It's a tough call sometimes whether to approach somebody in situations like that, especially when there is an obvious safety concern. In a campground environment at least one has the benefit through a couple casual conversations to bring up the concerns....., and that doesn't guarantee a receptive camper.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:
I use one of these and route my electrical cord and break away switch through it. It keeps the cables from dragging on the ground and I know I always have it hooked up.
I use the same thing, works great. But...for some reason every so often I get the thought that I forgot it. As I mentioned, I never have, but in my mind I am drawing a blank on remebering hooking it!
Just like waking up in the middle of the night and think "Crap! Did I close the garage doors?" Laying there for 15-30 minutes trying to convince myself that I know I did. Then convincing myself I didn't. Get up, go check. They're closed. It's 3:00 a.m. and I am awake the rest of the night. LOL
I guess certain things become so routine that you do it out of habit and don't really think about it.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #17

Saw a Volkswagen Touareg towing a 26ish ft trailer with a slide. They are suppose to tow up to 7700lbs with tow package but I wouldn't do it. It looked like the back was about to drag the ground. Did not look safe at all.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor View Post
Saw a Volkswagen Touareg towing a 26ish ft trailer with a slide. They are suppose to tow up to 7700lbs with tow package but I wouldn't do it. It looked like the back was about to drag the ground. Did not look safe at all.

The Touareg is a very capable TV.....I would love to have one (actually I would rather have the 55k to buy one )

Likely the issue was that he didn't have a WDH at all. Most people get confused listening to stuff about Unibodies and WDH and the owners guides saying they shouldn't use one but they will generally always be needed.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:

Okay help me...I am obviously over thinking this but I can't image this hook up in my mind....sounds like a great idea...can you post a pix of it connected as
you've suggested...thanks.
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I use the same thing, works great. But...for some reason every so often I get the thought that I forgot it. As I mentioned, I never have, but in my mind I am drawing a blank on remebering hooking it!
Just like waking up in the middle of the night and think "Crap! Did I close the garage doors?" Laying there for 15-30 minutes trying to convince myself that I know I did. Then convincing myself I didn't. Get up, go check. They're closed. It's 3:00 a.m. and I am awake the rest of the night. LOL
I guess certain things become so routine that you do it out of habit and don't really think about it.

Seriously, we must be related...

NB's hitch pin would not help me one bit. It could be a gold plated flamingo, and I would still sometimes wonder if I forgot it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV