Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2022, 06:19 PM   #1

Toading a 2018 wrangler JL

Hi, just started getting set up to tow a jeep with a 2021 Alante 27a.
I went with the Roadmaster nighthawk, Demco stay in play brake system and
a Curt custom wiring Kit to fit the jeep.
I haven't started installation yet and am watching all the installation videos i can, so im ready when i start.
I dont understand why the Curt system has a 4 way flat (3 male) to connect to rv and my nighthawk has a 6 pin female round to connect to toad.
Can't seem to find an adapter, thinking i'm overlooking or missing something?
Any thoughts
Thanks Pete
Old 03-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #2
CAG

Some of what I went with. Take it to someone who has done these installs. The JL is a different animal from the JKs and earlier models. The fly by wire changes made this a tough job. I started to do my own and soon came to the conclusion that the JL needs more time and more work.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #3

thanks Cag for input,
But i would'nt trust the dealer i bought my rv from to change a roll of toilet paper.
I'm a pretty handy guy and will figure it out.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkmaster View Post
thanks Cag for input,
But i would'nt trust the dealer i bought my rv from to change a roll of toilet paper.
I'm a pretty handy guy and will figure it out.
Thanks
I did not go with the dealer. I have a trusted shop that does both RV and Diesel along with Jeep stuff. The owners and all of the people working in there are Jeep owners, and back roaders. Never trust a Non-Jeep owner to do work on your Jeep, Period!

I am a very handy guy, having worked on most all of my vehicles since 1963. Good luck. You will find that the JL is a different animal.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #5
CAG

Come back later and tell me how it went LOL.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #6

I was able to find the part i need with a little help from Irv2. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=37175
It won't come in till Thursday, did a little exploring on the jeep today.
Removed taillights, checked compatibility and a path for wiring harness.
All seems in order, let ya's know how i make out next weekend.
Pete
Old 03-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #7

Please keep us posted on your progress. New to class a here, looking at vehicles that I can flat tow. All of this info will help me get going!
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
Please keep us posted on your progress. New to class a here, looking at vehicles that I can flat tow. All of this info will help me get going!

I love my Jeep. My wife had concerns when I sold the Duramax. She was not sure I would survive not having a diesel. I love my Jeep.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:51 PM   #9

Decided to hookup the Curt light system today. Things went fairly smooth, a bit tuff on routing wires with the muffler right there. I was able to get them up above the frame (away from muffler) but finding a place to zip tying them to the frame was slow. Connections to the taillights went very well, there instructions and pictures were very accurate, although hard to see with these old eyes. I downloaded the pdf instructions so i could increase the size of the pictures.
Our Jeep didn't come with the tow package (hitch or wiring) Its nice this kit came with a 4way flat connecter already installed for future towing with the jeep.
Running the wire to the front bumper was another challenge, your basically following main frame in line with the exhaust pipe. I ran the wire above the frame and behind the insulated brake lines (I'm a nut about keeping wires away from heat. Again, zip tying options were tuff.
So now I'm at the front bumper with about 2 feet of excess wire and a 4 way flat i can't plug into, coiled it up and figured i'll wait till part comes in next week to test.
I start the jeep, check to make sure brake lights and signals are working, all is well. As I'm picking up tools and cleaning up i think about an adapter that came with my silverado, a 7 pin round to 4 way flat. I'm pretty sure i can use that to test the rv to toad connection. Will try tomorrow. Let ya's know.
Took this rickety body 3 hours. Working on your back and getting up and down. Had a good time with it though.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #10

Hooked up the rv to the jeep today with the adapter for my truck. All lights are working well, will check again next weekend when i get the permanent adapter from e-trailer this week.
Next up, installing the base plates for the nighthawk. I had a plow frame mounted on the jeep for plowing in November when we bought it. I had originally planned on pulling the plow frame off and installing tow bar base plates, fall and spring.
But i have multiple peeps telling me to just use the plow frame to tow(slight modifications needed) Wondering if any have tried this method? I don't want to do anything to void either warranty, any ideas?
Old 03-20-2022, 04:08 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Hooked up the rv to the jeep today with the adapter for my truck. All lights are working well, will check again next weekend when i get the permanent adapter from e-trailer this week.
Next up, installing the base plates for the nighthawk. I had a plow frame mounted on the jeep for plowing in November when we bought it. I had originally planned on pulling the plow frame off and installing tow bar base plates, fall and spring.
But i have multiple peeps telling me to just use the plow frame to tow(slight modifications needed) Wondering if any have tried this method? I don't want to do anything to void either warranty, any ideas?

Why would you want the extra weight?

Old 03-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #12

I definitely Don't want to add extra weight, but thought the weight of plow frame and base plates were somewhat comparable. Base plates came in at 45 lbs., I'll have to check on weight of plow frame.
With the research I've done, i can't find anything that supports the theory that you can tow with a plow frame and not void both warranties.
I'll check it out some more before install, but will probably end up doing the twice a year switch. Looks like a couple hour project once its set up.
Thanks for advice and input.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #13
CAG

You probably already have your baseplate but here is what I used. I have the same bar and brake system that you are using. I like this base plate because it is quick and easy to hook up and take down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #14

Yes, i got the same exact 1 from roadmaster, still cant find weight of plow frame, but will go with Roadmaster set up. Just got to wait a bit, we still might get plowable snow here in MA. Thanks again)
Old 03-20-2022, 05:45 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Yes, i got the same exact 1 from roadmaster, still cant find weight of plow frame, but will go with Roadmaster set up. Just got to wait a bit, we still might get plowable snow here in MA. Thanks again)

That problem we DO NOT have here

Old 03-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #16

Nice, I'm looking forward to that, hit key west for 3 weeks in January. Nice trip and warm. Did the bike thing there, but still would like the versatility of having a vehicle. Setting up the rig for retirement soon.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #17

Does anyone use an aftermarket front bumper to tow with?
If so, any issues?

Randy & Linda
2018.5 Jayco Seneca 37FS
Randyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #18

Hi Randy,
Just getting in deep with this towing thing
.As far as I can tell you can't tow with any kind
Of bumper. If you want to pull, you need a hitch that's
Rated.for your vehicle.
If you want to tow it you need to have a base plate
Installed that is compatible with your tow bar.
Good luck, still settling mine up.
hawkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:01 AM   #19

Setting up a Jeep JL for towing

I am now towing a 2021 Jeep Wrangler JL behind my 2017 Alante 26x. I added a ROCKHARD 4x4 towable front bumper to replace the flimsy plastic bumper. The new bumper is heftier. I already had a blue ox tow bar and Evenbrake. But I had it professional installed by Rentz in Clearwater,FL. They specialize in installing tow bars and trailer hitches. They installed the bumper(which was $1200, and had it shipped to them) and wired the Jeep for lights, and Evenbrake for around $1500. It tows well and I really like the heavy bumper.
Captnjimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #20

So it seems your saying you can tow a jeep with a tow bar(Roadmaster Nighthawk) from the front bumper of the jeep without installing base plates?
I have a fisher home plow installed on my jeep and planned on removing it every year and installing base plates to tow it during camping season.
I did'nt know or realize you could tow from a front bumper, does it come equipped with a tow bar attachment?
Eliminating the need for a base plate would save me the time for the switch and would allow me to keep the plow frame on.
I'll do some more research, but if you could send me a link to that bumper, i'd appreciate it.
Thanks Pete