Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #41

Yes, to each their own.

Lindaks, I too had “porpoising” initially. For me, the answer was increase my tongue weight and move up one weight class on my Equalizer. If you are using an Equalizer, that would be my suggestion. After doing that, no bouncing other than a bounce on and a bounce off bridges, overpasses, etc.

Good luck.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #42

I have a 2015 F-150 2.7L V6 Eco Boost Super Crew and am pulling a 267 BHSW with a WDH. First trip I too was porpoising and was disappointed. Got home a read a bunch and found a tip that might save you as well. I inflated my trucks tires to the max pressure listed on the tire. Eliminated the porpoising. Have now pulled this trailer this way for 7K miles with no issues. Trailer with cargo is at or near max ratings for my truck but I haven’t had any stability issues.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Bearcat77; Now you lose control of your self? "idiotic suggestions"
The 1/2 ton trucks are designed by the manufactures for P-rated tires with proper weight carrying capacities, but will have a bit more flex in the sidewalls. There have been members on this forum who went back to the P-rated tires and myself after more that 50 years behind the wheel are happy with the P-rated tires. RV are mostly used seasonal and for daily driver the P-rated gives a smoother ride. But each individual can have his/her own opinion.
There are some Ford F150 that come original equip from Factory with LT tires.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #44

I'm running 7 washers on my Equalizer 10K with a tongue weight of around 900lbs. It's always towed stable and well but occasionally I would encounter porpoising after we went over certain bumps at certain speeds. LT tires at 50-60psi helped a lot, the stock P rated Pirellis were total garbage. Upgraded shocks are what improved the bouncing the most. I would say with confidence that it eliminated it.

Edit: For what it's worth, if I bought a 28BHBE, I would also buy a bigger truck. I think they're too much trailer for a half ton, and please understand this is my own opinion based on towing my current trailer.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #45

I tow a 22K farm trailer all over the farm all weekend long. My truck doesn't have a problem doing it. Now, would I take that trailer out on a highway and crank her up to 60mph? Of course not, I couldn't control it. What if I were doing 60mph with this 22K trailer on the back and had to brake quickly? What do you think would happen? Think I could stop it before I hit the vehicle in front of me? Not a chance. The truck wasn't built to handle that much weight although it's more than capable of towing it. TOWING a trailer and HANDLING a trailer are two different animals. At some point, you need to consider the weights combatting each other. The weight of the truck and the weight of the trailer. How safe would you feel towing this trailer at 60mph and have to stop suddenly and ABS is applied? Are you confident the truck would stop you safely and under complete control? If the trailer is too heavy to be towed safely, it'll win the battle of braking every time. This is considered when towing numbers are published to different manufacturers. It's considered the inertia principle. Besides, who wants to white-knuckle it every time you tow? Certainly not me. Consider all this as well as the safety of your family and fellow travelers. The only reason I'm writing this is, I've seen some bad things happen to good people who think they're within their limits. Just be careful and think it through.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
There are some Ford F150 that come original equip from Factory with LT tires.
I believe you need the HD Payload Package to snag those tires.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #47

Absolutely not. You can be within specs and have crappy towing experience. You can be little over specs and have great towing experience. There is some much ignorance on the road in relation to towing.

Specs are just arbitrary numbers, which are only recommendation from the manufacturers. I know that this fact won't get traction on this forum - standard response is legal repercussion, lawyers, accident with school bus, etc., etc., etc. Anyway, I cannot understand that some many people are terrified to be close or little over specs and want to change the TV for bigger, if they have a great towing experience.

Numbers are only a good starting point and should never be the main point to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
(...)

It's all about numbers... Too little weight on the hitch can cause sway and other issues.

Good Luck.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #48

Thanks!
Lindaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #49

It tows just fine, not “white knuckling” at all! Just had some bouncing with the new tires.....
Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Absolutely not. You can be within specs and have crappy towing experience. You can be little over specs and have great towing experience. There is some much ignorance on the road in relation to towing.

Specs are just arbitrary numbers, which are only recommendation from the manufacturers. I know that this fact won't get traction on this forum - standard response is legal repercussion, lawyers, accident with school bus, etc., etc., etc. Anyway, I cannot understand that some many people are terrified to be close or little over specs and want to change the TV for bigger, if they have a great towing experience.

Numbers are only a good starting point and should never be the main point to look at.
The specs are not "just arbitrary numbers". They are numbers developed by the engineers at the manufacturers based on testing. I'm sure there is some fudge in the numbers but they are not arbitrary.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #51

I was told from Ford that if the TW of the hitch is over 500 it is too much for our TV.
Our hitch trailer weight is max gross and 10,500 and weight carrying 5,000. Max tongue at 1,050 and 500 carrying...

I am so CONFUSED!!!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #52

As I said, I am aware such fact will not get the traction here. They are arbitrary numbers and there are clear proofs for that (same car may have different tow capacity spec depending on the market - yes, with the same features, i.e. tranny cooler, etc.). Even if only engineers would be involved in the process (without any input from legal, marketing, etc.), at the end of the day somebody needs to make an arbitrary decision about "the number". This number should be a guideline for owners using the car in million different situations. Let's take payload. Let's assume you have 1,500 lbs payload available. You can use it in different ways - you can just put 1,500 lbs cargo in the back of the truck or you can use it as tongue weight distributed between the axles. Which situation would be safer? In both situations you are "within specs", but the first situation may result in a catastrophic even as the front axle would not have enough traction.

Therefore, as I said, specs are good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
The specs are not "just arbitrary numbers". They are numbers developed by the engineers at the manufacturers based on testing. I'm sure there is some fudge in the numbers but they are not arbitrary.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaks View Post
I was told from Ford that if the TW of the hitch is over 500 it is too much for our TV.
Our hitch trailer weight is max gross and 10,500 and weight carrying 5,000. Max tongue at 1,050 and 500 carrying...

I am so CONFUSED!!!
Is that 500 lbs with or without a weight distribution hitch? I'm guessing it's without weight distribution and with weight distribution it's going to be significantly higher.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #54

Quote:
As I said, I am aware such fact will not get the traction here. They are arbitrary numbers.

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers has standards for how these numbers are calculated. They are tested to provide safety in all normal conditions/situations. An engineer at an automaker would lose his license making up arbitrary numbers, and the marketing guys don't get to set them.

Variance between countries is generally because of variance in engineering practice between the engineering societies in different areas, but they don't vary THAT much.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #55

Quote:
As I said, I am aware such fact will not get the traction here. They are arbitrary numbers and there are clear proofs for that (same car may have different tow capacity spec depending on the market - yes, with the same features, i.e. tranny cooler, etc.). Even if only engineers would be involved in the process (without any input from legal, marketing, etc.), at the end of the day somebody needs to make an arbitrary decision about "the number". This number should be a guideline for owners using the car in million different situations. Let's take payload. Let's assume you have 1,500 lbs payload available. You can use it in different ways - you can just put 1,500 lbs cargo in the back of the truck or you can use it as tongue weight distributed between the axles. Which situation would be safer? In both situations you are "within specs", but the first situation may result in a catastrophic even as the front axle would not have enough traction.

I think you need to come up with a different word than "arbitrary". The definition of arbitrary is...

"based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system"

You mentioned engineers, lawyers and marketing. If engineers, lawyers and marketing are involved the numbers aren't established on a whim or random personal choice. There are safety, reliability and marketing reasons for establishing the tow limits they are not arbitrary.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #56

I have a 2008 Tundra CrewMax with the factory towing package 10,400 lbs. I tow a 2018 28RL and is roughly the same weight. I put towing Bilstein shocks all the way around, and Firestone Air Bags. My truck does not tow anything like a 3/4 ton truck, but the shocks and air bags made it much more comfortable. In my case, even though my Tundra is an 08, it only has 55K miles on it, so I'm going to get some use out of it.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #57

Only a few manufacturers follow SAE standards. The fact is that there is no common industry standard to certify towing capacity. Even if you follow SAE standard, you can make "an arbitrary decision" to market the car below the towing capacity that would result from SAE.

There are actually huge difference between the countries in terms of the towing capacity of the SAME car (e.g. Toyota RAV4 US towing spec 1,500 lbs, Europe 3,500 lbs). It has NOTHING to do with engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers has standards for how these numbers are calculated. They are tested to provide safety in all normal conditions/situations. An engineer at an automaker would lose his license making up arbitrary numbers, and the marketing guys don't get to set them.

Variance between countries is generally because of variance in engineering practice between the engineering societies in different areas, but they don't vary THAT much.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaks View Post

I am so CONFUSED!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Is that 500 lbs with or without a weight distribution hitch? I'm guessing it's without weight distribution and with weight distribution it's going to be significantly higher.
500lbs is without a weight distribution hitch. If you climb under the passenger's side rear of the truck you'll see the sticker on the receiver itself with the numbers.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Only a few manufacturers follow SAE standards. The fact is that there is no common industry standard to certify towing capacity. Even if you follow SAE standard, you can make "an arbitrary decision" to market the car below the towing capacity that would result from SAE.

There are actually huge difference between the countries in terms of the towing capacity of the SAME car (e.g. Toyota RAV4 US towing spec 1,500 lbs, Europe 3,500 lbs). It has NOTHING to do with engineering.
The input by marketing and the resulting decision are not arbitrary. Marketing may have input but their input isn't arbitrary. It is probably based on what is being published by other manufacturers. But if the engineers say the maximum tow rating based on the testing they have performed (addressing safety and perform) is 10,000 lbs marketing is NOT going to advertise 15,000 lbs on a whim.

I think I understand the point you are trying to make but the word arbitrary isn't the word to use. There is a tremendous amount of engineering analysis that goes into determining tow ratings. After that the lawyers and marketing people will be involved with the lawyers typically undercutting engineering's claims in an attempt to minimize potential liability and marketing trying to maximize those numbers to compete with other manufacturers. But none of this is arbitrary.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #60

I will not argue about the word to use. If you understood my point, that's enough.