Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
What size truck do you need to safely tow 15000# Fifth Wheel? What is the curb weight of 1 ton truck anyway?
I wouldn't tow it with my truck. 15K is A LOT of weight. I wouldn't think of towing it without a F450,4500 whatever DRW or better. And preferably, a 4X2. I've had a 12,500lb. 5'er hooked up before and even with the Fleet Master pkg., it needed help. And that 5'er was empty and so was my vehicle. It needed suspension help. I didn't air-up my bags but if I were towing it, I would have. Had all the power in the world but the suspension was hurting. In my opinion, if a truck NEEDS suspension for lift to help tow a specific trailer, it's too heavy. Not talking about inflating the bags for better ride, I mean to lift it so it sits correctly. I couldn't imagine rolling through the Cumberland Gap with that thing pushing me without suspension help.

I think the whole "HT" designation is ludicrous. There's no such thing HT 5'ers...it's just a designation to attract half-ton truck owners. There's more half ton owners in this country than 3/4 ton and better and RV manufacturers know this, hence the "HT" 5'er. I know some will argue that point but, I believe it to be true. Doesn't mean it is however. With todays half ton trucks, I wouldn't tow over 8000lbs. total with one. Regardless of make.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I'll be the last one to claim as being an expert. But I can say, I've worked for Ford since 1988 and have installed more hitches than many on here have ever seen or ever will see in their lifespan. And I've heard and seen every scenario you could possibly imagine. Some are ok, some are just plain scary. Towing thousands of pounds behind a vehicle that weighs the same or even less is no joke. It can kill you. I've seen it. I've read about it. But my customers don't want hear that. They want the mac daddy camper with as little truck as possible and that my friends is just plain dangerous. And with half ton and three-quarter ton trucks being so close in price, why risk it? Wanna play with the big boys? You need big toys...plain and simple.

So, that being said. I'd refuse you a hitch with the trailer you want to tow. You can be mad all you want, but I won't sell it to you because you'd be a danger to yourself and everyone around you. I prefer not to read about my customers in the paper. I would kindly suggest another trailer or different truck.

Not enough truck.
this... this, this, this. Exactly what this gentleman said. It baffles me how quickly someone will drop 40k + on a camper and then turn around and try to justify towing at very near max capacity with a 1/2 ton truck for any reason, but especially bc of the price of 'upgrading' the TV. The new 1/2 tons with all of the bells and whistles are more than what you can have a base model 3/4 ton for. To each his own, but this paradigm always amazes me. Everyone has different budget constraints and priorities, but a 3/4 ton truck is not out of reach for anyone who owns a newer 1/2 ton. It doesn't have to be brand new with heated/a/c seats... one of the best things about (properly maintained) diesel rigs are their longevity. Its not difficult to find a 2-3 year old 3/4 ton truck in great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstrucK View Post
I've been wanted to jump in on this topic since I bought a new truck this year, but had to wait till the time was right.

I traded in my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 for a 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7.. I don't even know where to start .. there is so much on this topic . I honestly could write pages about this .
But I can simply state , it is amazing how much better the bigger truck handles and how well it drives down the road .

As for the 1500 class or half ton pick up trucks.... well, they definitely get it done when you have it paired up with a camper that's not maxing out the tow rating of your vehicle.
But it definitely doesn't feel as safe as it should at highway speeds.
Even with a anti-sway weight distribution hitch I had to alot of trouble keeping it in the lane .

However I did Not experience a lot of Bounce...
I outfited my truck with an airbag leveling kit on the rear springs. It helped to keep the truck riding level. But did get a little bit of a stiffer ride.
But Towing doesn't mean luxury, your going to experience a lot of stuff that's not comfortable .

On the upside , the 2500 ram cummins is a beast of a truck.. It's night and day, it is an Amazing Machine .
I definitely feel a lot more comfortable taking the camper out for longer trips now.
I have never heard anyone go from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton or greater and reply in hindsight that they were better off or could have done just as well with the 1/2 ton. Ever.

Also, as to the complaints about 3/4 tons riding 'rough' ... Its a TRUCK. It's not supposed to ride like a big-bodied sedan. My daily driver is a manual 2500 Ram and I absolutely love it. I completely understand that some live in suburban or more urban environs where the size of a 2500 seems like a limiting factor, but its a small trade off in my humble opinion for the peace of mind when towing that kind of weight.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #83

You love your 2500 truck. For some the ride quality, size, etc. won't be acceptable. Some people choose the TV based on the solo ride. If somebody is towing 10-20%, FOR SOME it makes no sense to make sacrifices (ride quality, size inconvenience, etc.) and drive 3/4 ton 80% of the time without the trailer. Sometimes it is enough to slow down and have perfectly fine TV/TT combo.

The rest of the world is showing that you DO NOT NEED a huge truck to tow a large trailer.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #84

How about getting back on topic.

OP stated that the tow in general feels fine, he/she's just getting some porpoising.

I still do not see a truck weight WITHOUT a trailer attached? Is that correct?

The CAT scale process involves 3 passes:

Pass 1) Truck alone, loaded for travel, with WDH attached to vehicle; drive and steer axle weights.

Pass 2) Truck AND trailer, WDH disengaged; steer, drive, trailer axle weights.

Pass 3) Truck AND trailer, WDH engaged; steer, drive, trailer axle weights.

These 3 passes and a little simple math will give you EVERY weight you need including tongue weight. People asking about weights will usually put up the results of each pass.

Your trailer weights seem low for the 28BHBE. I think mine empty (yellow sticker) was as heavy as your loaded trailer weights are showing? I could be wrong about that, I'd have to go back and look.

If you're confident your weights are in spec, or you're not going to do anything about it if they're not, then we need to move on with other advice. I would say that if you're close, or even a little over, you'll probably be okay. Your truck is not going to explode, but it will wear out faster, and stuff will break faster, and it will likely be less safe on the road.

First thing I would try is to air your rear tires up to max sidewall pressure (cold).

Next, I would set my hitch up myself from scratch as per the instructions. Follow them EXACTLY and COMPLETELY. The chances that the tech set up your hitch properly are abysmally low. This is the single best thing I did to help my tow when I hauled that trailer with my 1/2T GMC. Beware, you need big tools to do this in most cases.

Tongue weight is important too. If you have too much or too little tongue weight, it can cause all sorts of problems including porpoising. You could try moving items in your trailer around to add and subtract tongue weight and see what works better.

Lastly, I would consider adding some kind of suspension enhancement to the rear of your truck. There are plenty of options including air bags and helper springs. I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension, and it made a big difference towing as well as NOT towing. These things will not increase the rated capacity of your truck, but they will enhance the trucks ability to deal with maximum loads effectively and safely. Lots of people add air bags and like them because they can be deflated to return the truck to an OEM type ride for the 80-90% of the time you're not towing.

We tend to harp on the numbers a lot in this forum, and there is good reason for it. But at the end of the day, it's your decision. We just want you to be as safe as possible! After all, it could be me and my family in the next lane when everything goes sideways...

As for the European trailer debate, you cannot find "balanced" trailers in the US. Trailers overseas have a much closer to 50/50 ratio around the axles, and the fact is that doesn't exist here.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #85

And there is an obvious reason for this - European are not allowed to use weight distribution hitches (trailer manufacturers lobby made it happen some time ago) and the speed limits for towing are around 50-55 mph.

Of course, those things are related. The higher speed, the more TW you need for stability.

Just for an example, BMW X5 is rated to tow 7,700 lbs, but the euro hitch is rated only to 330 lbs tongue weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
(...)

As for the European trailer debate, you cannot find "balanced" trailers in the US. Trailers overseas have a much closer to 50/50 ratio around the axles, and the fact is that doesn't exist here.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
How about getting back on topic.....snip
X2

I'm sure our OP would appreciate it.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #87

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If a Light truck, trailer or car has a design rating set by the manufacturer it can do the job. Isn't the same thing with Semi's, sometimes a lighter load sometimes to the max.
The only thing is a more HP engine is more comfort for the driver. If your 1/2 is your daily driver it doesn't make sense to invest more money (or trade and get a poor allowance) just to compensate for a few trips with the TT. The 1/2 ton suspension you can improve with low cost accessories. Because you drive a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to make you more comfortable doesn't mean someone else is comfortable with a 1/2 ton.
So for the light trucks everyone can state their opinion and where they are in their comfort zone with what TV they have, but it still up to the OPERATOR to make his/her own informed decision.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote