Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2024, 07:23 AM   #1

Tools and RV stuff

As I unloaded my old camper and see all the very, very important stuff I had in there I have come to the conclusion that I need an intervention from someone that runs a mean and lean RV. I now have opportunity to go through it all and load back just the most needful items (subjective and I am a tool hoarder).

So I always carry my bottle jack, break-over bar, lug sockets and 1/2 Milwaukee cordless in my truck; as well as socket/wrench/screwdriver set. Basics under the back seat.

I have a 450 pc craftsman tool set that has a bit of everything in it and I like to have it in the camper along with my 3/8 Milwaukee impactor. (Tool box is about 45 pounds). I also have a Milwaukee hand vac and may start taking a cordless blower with me for the slides.

Just curious how others balance tools versus weight and if I am the only one with this struggle. Not sure if I really need to be able to pull the engine on the side of the road but I just had a water pump fail that left me in a filling station parking lot.

Probably why a dually would be best if not a daily driver for a couple of years.
Stever60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:40 AM   #2

Think Im in your same boat. Every time I try to reduce the amount of stuff I carry, I get that daydream of being on the side of the road with a simple fix if I only hadnt taken a certain tool out.
It just gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing I have what I THINK I need. lol
Good luck downsizing!!

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:48 PM   #3

You can't have too much truck or too many tools.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:45 PM   #4

My Dad used to say 'The tool you'll probably need is the one you didn't bring'.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 04:06 PM   #5

No plug kit and air compressor?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
I have both in my truck bed. LOL

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-17-2024, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stever60 View Post
As I unloaded my old camper and see all the very, very important stuff I had in there I have come to the conclusion that I need an intervention from someone that runs a mean and lean RV. I now have opportunity to go through it all and load back just the most needful items (subjective and I am a tool hoarder).

So I always carry my bottle jack, break-over bar, lug sockets and 1/2 Milwaukee cordless in my truck; as well as socket/wrench/screwdriver set. Basics under the back seat.

I have a 450 pc craftsman tool set that has a bit of everything in it and I like to have it in the camper along with my 3/8 Milwaukee impactor. (Tool box is about 45 pounds). I also have a Milwaukee hand vac and may start taking a cordless blower with me for the slides.

Just curious how others balance tools versus weight and if I am the only one with this struggle. Not sure if I really need to be able to pull the engine on the side of the road but I just had a water pump fail that left me in a filling station parking lot.

Probably why a dually would be best if not a daily driver for a couple of years.
I think you need every one of those.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:52 PM   #8
Site Team

I think I need one of those "intervention" things......

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stever60 View Post

So I always carry my bottle jack, break-over bar, lug sockets and 1/2” Milwaukee cordless in my truck; as well as socket/wrench/screwdriver set. Basics under the back seat.

I think what you have sounds good!

I am just now outfitting my new camper with what I think I should have/supposed to have on hand. I may not be able to fix everything, but during a time of need, there could be a person nearby who CAN fix it and will need the right tools. I read your list. With exception of a full-on air compressor (I have one of those jump starters with a built in air compressor) I have just about everything you mentioned. I have my drill/driver for lugs with set of necessary set of deep sockets, breaker bar, bottle jack and hand ratchet, in the truck.

In the camper I have the basic 130 piece tool kit, a bag with some other tools: channel locks, pex cut tool, spare piece of pex, bits, tape measure. On the pegboard; work gloves, trauma scissors, extra tools mounted for quick access which includes Jayco's famous 'square head screw' driver, as well as various tapes (screen/Gorilla/electrical) flashlight, lighter, mallet, level.

I'm not sure if I need an intervention or an "Attah-girl! You're nicely prepared."

In my photo there is a box wrench hanging on the peg board. I put it there for its specific size as I knew I'd need it for quick access...handy for 'something.' But as of today, I cannot remember what that 'something' is.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 9.58.40 AM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
I do have - typically in my truck.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
I think what you have sounds good!

I am just now outfitting my new camper with what I think I should have/supposed to have on hand. I may not be able to fix everything, but during a time of need, there could be a person nearby who CAN fix it and will need the right tools. I read your list. With exception of a full-on air compressor (I have one of those jump starters with a built in air compressor) I have just about everything you mentioned. I have my drill/driver for lugs with set of necessary set of deep sockets, breaker bar, bottle jack and hand ratchet, in the truck.

In the camper I have the basic 130 piece tool kit, a bag with some other tools: channel locks, pex cut tool, spare piece of pex, bits, tape measure. On the pegboard; work gloves, trauma scissors, extra tools mounted for quick access which includes Jayco's famous 'square head screw' driver, as well as various tapes (screen/Gorilla/electrical) flashlight, lighter, mallet, level.

I'm not sure if I need an intervention or an "Attah-girl! You're nicely prepared."

In my photo there is a box wrench hanging on the peg board. I put it there for its specific size as I knew I'd need it for quick access...handy for 'something.' But as of today, I cannot remember what that 'something' is.
Looks good to me!
Old 05-18-2024, 08:07 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:

If you use an Anderson WDH, maybe for the tension adjustment nuts??

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:20 PM   #13

I'm a tool freak, I have at least 3 of everything in my home shop. I can fix just about anything that does not require welding (learning this now). I carry the polar opposite in the camper. My tool box is about 4"x4"x12", stuffed full. I figure, there a shop nearby if needed. I did buy a 1/4" socket set once when I needed a 10mm socket to replace an fuel injector. Pick up the parts and tools at the same time. Fixed the truck at the campground. The tools are now at home with my other sockets.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 07:08 AM   #14

Well, my 2 cents were.... agree with tools in truck. As for camper, your like a Matco truck.....

I have only run 6 way changeable screwdriver, medium vice grip, open end adjustable wrench, and open end adjustable jaw wrench. I do have multi bit screwdriver that had square #2 bit in it as 99% of screws use that from cabinets to outside fasteners.

These 5 tools can adresss almost anything you need to fix.

On side note, get yourself roll of eternabond tape and stow it cause it can fix most issues on road until you hey home or to repair shops. I also bring tube of clear silicone sealant and tube of pool "O" ring lube.

All of above maybe weigh 4-5 lb and can get you through most everything
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuley View Post
Well, my 2 cents were.... agree with tools in truck. As for camper, your like a Matco truck.....

I have only run 6 way changeable screwdriver, medium vice grip, open end adjustable wrench, and open end adjustable jaw wrench. I do have multi bit screwdriver that had square #2 bit in it as 99% of screws use that from cabinets to outside fasteners.

These 5 tools can adresss almost anything you need to fix.

On side note, get yourself roll of eternabond tape and stow it cause it can fix most issues on road until you hey home or to repair shops. I also bring tube of clear silicone sealant and tube of pool "O" ring lube.

All of above maybe weigh 4-5 lb and can get you through most everything
I don’t disagree - going to take a very hard look at everything. Definitely add the eternabond.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:51 PM   #16

I also carry a few feet of wire, some crimp connectors and crimping plyers.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
If you use an Anderson WDH, maybe for the tension adjustment nuts??
Nope. Not it. I remember it was going to be important for something either during set-up or in a moment of need itd be needy quickly. Wish I could remember.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 05-31-2024, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Nope. Not it. I remember it was going to be important for something either during set-up or in a moment of need itd be needy quickly. Wish I could remember.
Get rid of it and then you will find the reason why you needed it. It always happens that way.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 06:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Tongue Jack? To manually raise or lower it?

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-31-2024, 07:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
Tongue Jack? To manually raise or lower it?
Nope. there's already a special tool for that.

I went out and came back and never needed that wrench. So, I have no idea.