Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Also, by using a crossbar style baseplate my tow bar mounting point is slightly higher which results in a smaller high low adapter being retired. I can use a 2 inch high low rather than a 4 inch thereby placing the tow bar more inline with the vertical center of the Jeep rather than lower to the ground.
EA37TS,
I don’t mean to cause you work out of this deal but it would be very helpful for me if you could post the receiver height on the Accolade? Our receiver on the Seneca seems low at 21 1/2” C and I think our gladiator is going to probably sit a little higher than your Cherokee?
Thank You Sir
wrimda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #22

When I get home I’ll take a pic and measure. Mine will be the same as the Seneca on an S2RV chassis. Should be a couple hours tops
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #23

Quote:
When I get home I’ll take a pic and measure. Mine will be the same as the Seneca on an S2RV chassis. Should be a couple hours tops
Thanks Dave,
We have the Seneca generation 1.
No hurry as we’re going to go on a little gladiator drive🙂

Thanks Mike
Old 01-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Thanks for your "thoughts and recommendations" even though the ask was for thoughts on lights Not tow bars or base plates and what you gave me is not accurate anyway. This, I find, is the problem with asking these questions on a blog. You get too much disinformation and have to sort through it. Sorry I asked.

The difference between the Sterling and the NightHawk on Amazon is $60.00

The information I copied concerning the bar was directly from RoadMasters Web Site. I did not make anything up.

The Sterling does not need the crossbar. Did you read the information from that site?

That is rhetorical and does not need an answer.

Oh, and after rereading my original you will note that RoadMaster was recommending the NightHawk. That information was directly from one of their people in a phone call. She later sent me the list of items.
"Both of those were recommended by Roadmaster when I called them and I do like the Night Hawk's no bind set up."

Thanks again.
Before accusing anyone other than yourself of spreading disinformation I suggest you read pages 3 and 4 of the attached Sterling Installation and Operating instructions. They include the instructions for use of the Sterling on the other non-crossbar base plates. Also the removable arms from the non-crossbar baseplate will fit my crossbar baseplate so I can use the Sterling in either configuration if desired.

I hate to disappoint you but Roadmaster wrote those instructions, not me. Also you might want to view some of the various You Tube videos on the Sterling non-binding tow bar.

I had the Roadmaster rep at my house working on my setup twice for approx 5 hours each time.

Again, do whatever you want but don't accuse folks of spreading disinformation in areas of which you have no clue.

One additional note, on both the Sterling and the Nighthawk the "swivel ear", the part that actually connects the tow bar to the baseplate, is the same. They both use Roadmaster part 910661. You can verify that by looking at Roadmaster's parts lists.

Sterling TB Instal and OP.pdf
Old 01-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrimda View Post
EA37TS,
I don’t mean to cause you work out of this deal but it would be very helpful for me if you could post the receiver height on the Accolade? Our receiver on the Seneca seems low at 21 1/2” C and I think our gladiator is going to probably sit a little higher than your Cherokee?
Thank You Sir
The distance from ground to center of the receiver pin is approx 19.5 inches.

Unfortunately the Jeep is in for warranty work so I can't measure the distance to the pins.

My Jeep has the Quadra Lift air suspension so it will probably sit different than your gladiator. The Quadra Lift is why the Jeep is in the shop. It's getting a new air compressor and relay and I should have it back on Monday.

Here are pics of my set up. Pic 3 and 4 show my connector and the different style cable ends which is the reason for the crossbar (Quick Connect). All of the pics seem to be 90 degrees CCW. Click on them twice and they should be correct orientation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2667.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	55624

Name:	IMG_2668.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	55625

Name:	IMG_2669.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	55626

Name:	IMG_2670.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	55627

As a note, the Blue Ox high low is rated for 10,000 lbs. Blue Ox was the only ones my dealer carried when I picked up the Accolade.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #26
CAG

Quote:
Again, do whatever you want
Thanks, I will.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #27

Quote:
The distance from ground to center of the receiver pin is approx 19.5 inches.

Unfortunately the Jeep is in for warranty work so I can't measure the distance to the pins.

My Jeep has the Quadra Lift air suspension so it will probably sit different than your gladiator. The Quadra Lift is why the Jeep is in the shop. It's getting a new air compressor and relay and I should have it back on Monday.

Here are pics of my set up. Pic 3 and 4 show my connector and the different style cable ends which is the reason for the crossbar (Quick Connect). All of the pics seem to be 90 degrees CCW. Click on them twice and they should be correct orientation.

As a note, the Blue Ox high low is rated for 10,000 lbs. Blue Ox was the only ones my dealer carried when I picked up the Accolade.

Hope this helps.
Thank You,
Pics helped. So we are approximately 2” higher on the RV end which with the Gladiator base plate mounting probably being raised as well, we should have a similar set up.
Did you have everything installed on the Cherokee? If so, and if you don’t mind me asking, what should I expect to pay?

Mike
Old 01-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Thank You,
Pics helped. So we are approximately 2” higher on the RV end which with the Gladiator base plate mounting probably being raised as well, we should have a similar set up.
Did you have everything installed on the Cherokee? If so, and if you don’t mind me asking, what should I expect to pay?

Mike
Mike,

I paid right at 3,000 for everything installed except the 8 inch extensions for the safety cables. Those were given to me by the Roadmaster rep. My total installation cost was 150.00 due to a Camping World install anything for 50.00 promotion. Also CW here is the only place that would install the InvisiBrake. The other installers all wanted to install Blue Ox systems with Patriot 2 braking. I went for ease of setup over cost.

Feel free to PM me if you need additional info
Old 01-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #29

Mike

Here are some pics of my base plate and quick disconnect installation. If I remember correctly the pin was at 16 inches which caused the need for the high low adapter (19.5 - 16 = 3.5). In the pics the Jeep suspension is sitting in entry/exit which is 2 inches lower than normal. Normal mode is the setting required for towing.

Name:	Jeep7.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	55633

Name:	Jeep6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	55634

Name:	Jeep8.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	55635

Also, on the cost I stated for my setup, I did not include the cost of the high low adapter. Those run from around 70.00 to over 200.00 for the Blue Ox 10K adapter.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Mike

Here are some pics of my base plate and quick disconnect installation. If I remember correctly the pin was at 16 inches which caused the need for the high low adapter (19.5 - 16 = 3.5). In the pics the Jeep suspension is sitting in entry/exit which is 2 inches lower than normal. Normal mode is the setting required for towing.
The setup looks clean on the Cherokee. You can hardly tell it’s there with the crossbar off.
I am guessing we will be 4K + for parts and install. Boy, nothing is cheep on these things! If I don’t slow down, I’ll be working till I’m 70.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Hello All,
First of all I tried to search for some answers but did not have any luck.

Looking for some recommendations on a tow hitch.
We have a 2008 Seneca with a 10,000 pound tow hitch and will be towing a jeep gladiator with no trailer, or dolly. Gladiator weighing in at about 5000 pounds.
Looking for something with plenty of capacity, and for ease of use.

Thank You
Mike
I have the Falcon2 and I tow a Kia Soul 4down. Easy to hook vehicle up and store when not in use
williamwynia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #32

TOAD Hitch

I have a Blue Ox and really like it. Whatever you buy, shop around. My dealer quoted $7k. Camping World was not far behind. I went to a local Truck Accessory company and got the hitch installation and lights etc for less than $2k
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekjo View Post
I have a Blue Ox and really like it. Whatever you buy, shop around. My dealer quoted $7k. Camping World was not far behind. I went to a local Truck Accessory company and got the hitch installation and lights etc for less than $2k
WOW! $7K??!! That's robbery!! Or an "I don't want to do it" quote...

Of course, I guess it depends on the vehicle and what you were going to have installed. But still... I had a tough time letting go of the north of $2,000 I gave for my setup. Saved a bit of money installing it myself...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #34

Demco, extremely easy to hook and unhook and very safe
Chappy2351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #35

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html

I have towed my 2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade with a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar for 5 years & have not had any issues at all. It’s rated for 8000 lbs.
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I use all Blue Ox tackle (Alpha tow bar) and have been very happy.

But the only thing I have a direct comparison for is a Harbor Freight fixed bar that I used to tow my YJ for a while... which is no comparison at all.

Super jealous of your Gladiator. I've been pining after them since before they came out. DW thinks they're ugly. I tell her she needs to get her eyes checked!! I think it's a beautiful truck.

But alas, we're not anywhere close to being in the market for a vehicle, so no Gladiator for me ... at least for a while... But I just got a check engine light on my Grand Cherokee this morning, so who knows...
You won’t regret getting a new Gladiator. I have a Firecracker Red Rubicon. My previous 2017 Rubicon Recon rode like a buckboard horse wagon compared to my Gladiator. I give credit to FCA for using Ram 1500 technology and Fox shocks.
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #37

I used blue Ox all the way had it installed with breaks lights charging system break away protection very happy with it I brought the hitch best suited for my vehicle
billsankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Viking View Post
https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html

I have towed my 2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade with a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar for 5 years & have not had any issues at all. It’s rated for 8000 lbs.
As Old Viking I have an older version of NSA's tow bar and brake setup and works great. With a little extra install work you do not need an extra brake controller.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #39

We have used a Blue Ox for thousands of miles towing either a 2015 Fiesta or a 2018 Explorer. Tow bar is easy to hook up and very stable. We had the Towplate installed on the Fiesta "professionally" . After watching a video, I installed it on the Explorer myself. It took me about 3.5 hrs. But, I was extremely careful. Just traded in our 2008 Damon which had 117K miles. about 1/2 of that was with the Blue OX. We have 1200 miles on the new MH towing the Explorer with no issues.

Good luck.
Pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #40

Blue Ox can handle your tow and it’s so easy to use! Even for a couple of newbies!!
JAHIV is offline   Reply With Quote