Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #1

Tow Bar recommendation please

Hello All,
First of all I tried to search for some answers but did not have any luck.

Looking for some recommendations on a tow hitch.
We have a 2008 Seneca with a 10,000 pound tow hitch and will be towing a jeep gladiator with no trailer, or dolly. Gladiator weighing in at about 5000 pounds.
Looking for something with plenty of capacity, and for ease of use.

Thank You
Mike
wrimda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #2

I use a Roadmaster All Terrain 10,000# tow bar. Been using it for 5 years with no problems.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
CAG

I am in the process of doing that same search and most of what I am finding as far a what to use, install, cost etc has been Blue Ox and Roadmaster. I am not sure you would need a 10K # for a Gladiator from what I am finding but I am looking for the Sahara.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #4

I use all Blue Ox tackle (Alpha tow bar) and have been very happy.

But the only thing I have a direct comparison for is a Harbor Freight fixed bar that I used to tow my YJ for a while... which is no comparison at all.

Super jealous of your Gladiator. I've been pining after them since before they came out. DW thinks they're ugly. I tell her she needs to get her eyes checked!! I think it's a beautiful truck.

But alas, we're not anywhere close to being in the market for a vehicle, so no Gladiator for me ... at least for a while... But I just got a check engine light on my Grand Cherokee this morning, so who knows...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
I use a Roadmaster All Terrain 10,000# tow bar. Been using it for 5 years with no problems.
Thank you,
The roadmaster sterling, and nighthawk seem to be very nice units. And they make it in an 8000# which is nice for me I think.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I use all Blue Ox tackle (Alpha tow bar) and have been very happy.

But the only thing I have a direct comparison for is a Harbor Freight fixed bar that I used to tow my YJ for a while... which is no comparison at all.

Super jealous of your Gladiator. I've been pining after them since before they came out. DW thinks they're ugly. I tell her she needs to get her eyes checked!! I think it's a beautiful truck.

But alas, we're not anywhere close to being in the market for a vehicle, so no Gladiator for me ... at least for a while... But I just got a check engine light on my Grand Cherokee this morning, so who knows...
Thanks camper_Bob,
we need to get two cars before I retire in a couple years and the wife won’t pull the trigger, so I did.
We have a 75 CJ5 that we will have to retire. It’s also been 15 years since we’ve had a new car, I couldn’t even start the darn thing, felt like a darn spaceship when I first drove it.

Good luck on the gladiator! 🙂
Thanks again Mike
Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #7

I also used a Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar when I was moving RVs. It was a fantastic system and I never had binding issues even though I hitched and unhitch in all kinds of angles.

It is probably not an issue since you are they RV owner but I had to take mine off and put it in the car trunk every time. It does lock and store up right in the receiver hitch if you want to just leave it there. if I had to do it over again for this particular business, I would have gotten one that just folds up on the front of the car.

Mine is even bent just a little bit because I reversed one time. But it still holds up and doesn't bind. Works perfectly
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrimda View Post
Thanks camper_Bob,
we need to get two cars before I retire in a couple years and the wife won’t pull the trigger, so I did.
We have a 75 CJ5 that we will have to retire. It’s also been 15 years since we’ve had a new car, I couldn’t even start the darn thing, felt like a darn spaceship when I first drove it.

Good luck on the gladiator! 🙂
Thanks again Mike
You're not going to fully "retire" the CJ are you? I admit, as a daily driver, that's pretty hard core, but no way I would get rid of it. I'd just rotate it to "toy" status and let it be a "fair weather" vehicle. Keep it maintained and in good working order and have fun with it.

That's what our YJ is for us. We both have other vehicles to drive on the daily. So we call it "Thera-Jeep" for the therapy we get when we drive it, and that which I get when I work on it. I'm trying to keep it towable by my RV, but my new tow bar doesn't jive too well with the tow brackets on the YJ (I installed tow shackles with poly bushings), so I need to adapt them with different brackets for the bar and haven't gotten around to it yet...

Buddy of mine has a YJ, and he keeps threatening to sell his. NO WAY I would ever willingly sell mine... Jeep is in my blood, apparently not so much in his...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You're not going to fully "retire" the CJ are you? I admit, as a daily driver, that's pretty hard core, but no way I would get rid of it. I'd just rotate it to "toy" status and let it be a "fair weather" vehicle. Keep it maintained and in good working order and have fun with it.

That's what our YJ is for us. We both have other vehicles to drive on the daily. So we call it "Thera-Jeep" for the therapy we get when we drive it, and that which I get when I work on it. I'm trying to keep it towable by my RV, but my new tow bar doesn't jive too well with the tow brackets on the YJ (I installed tow shackles with poly bushings), so I need to adapt them with different brackets for the bar and haven't gotten around to it yet...

Buddy of mine has a YJ, and he keeps threatening to sell his. NO WAY I would ever willingly sell mine... Jeep is in my blood, apparently not so much in his...
Love the CJ, runs great. Living in the beautiful state of California will make you think a little different. Way too much to register and insure here, plus Not very secure with the soft top. It would disappear.
We’ll bring it back to life in Montana or Idaho.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #10

2020 Accolade pulling a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 (little over 5,000 lbs).

Roadmaster Baseplate with cross bar
Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Towbar rated for 8,000 lbs
Roadmaster InvsiBrake
Roadmaster universal brake monitor
Roadmaster universal lighting harness
2 inch high low hitch adapter
Roadmaster 8 inch extension cables rated at 8,000 lbs (added because the high low caused a 10 inch extension)

I had a dedicated charging line ran for charging the Jeep battery while in tow.

The sterling is nice because I don't have to use a mallet on the tow bar to disconnect

Jeep tows great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Accolade Towing.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	55611
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #11
CAG

Without trying to hijack this thread I would like to add my research to date to get some input and perhaps to help Wrimda.

I have been overloaded with all of the information and items that are out there for flat towing. It becomes mind boggling. What I have decided on is:
Roadmaster Night Hawk 676
Roadmaster Base Plate #521453-5
Both of those were recommended by Roadmaster when I called them and I do like the Night Hawk's no bind set up.

Then it gets a little more complicated because I did not like the massive amount of work involved in Roadmaster's Invisibrake System or the drilling and removing that had to be done to install on the Sahara Unlimited. I have pretty much decided on the Blue Ox 3rd generation brake system. More money, until you figure the time I spend to install or the $1000 or more in labor to have Invisibrake done.

Now for the question. The Roadmaster Combo Kit for brake and turn lighting seems to be a way to go that does not involve massive amounts of time and effort installing BUT what about the magnetic tail light systems that I see where it is put on when you start and removed when you get there? I have heard that these scratch paint among other problems.

I am sure there are some out there using one or both systems. Is it better to hard wire it in or go with a put it on, take it off system?

Old 01-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Without trying to hijack this thread I would like to add my research to date to get some input and perhaps to help Wrimda.

I have been overloaded with all of the information and items that are out there for flat towing. It becomes mind boggling. What I have decided on is:
Roadmaster Night Hawk 676
Roadmaster Base Plate #521453-5
Both of those were recommended by Roadmaster when I called them and I do like the Night Hawk's no bind set up.

Then it gets a little more complicated because I did not like the massive amount of work involved in Roadmaster's Invisibrake System or the drilling and removing that had to be done to install on the Sahara Unlimited. I have pretty much decided on the Blue Ox 3rd generation brake system. More money, until you figure the time I spend to install or the $1000 or more in labor to have Invisibrake done.

Now for the question. The Roadmaster Combo Kit for brake and turn lighting seems to be a way to go that does not involve massive amounts of time and effort installing BUT what about the magnetic tail light systems that I see where it is put on when you start and removed when you get there? I have heard that these scratch paint among other problems.

I am sure there are some out there using one or both systems. Is it better to hard wire it in or go with a put it on, take it off system?
I used the magnetic lights when I dolly towed a Ford Fusion. Not only do the magnets scratch the paint but the wires running to the back of the car will scuff the paint from bouncing around if they are not secured every foot or two. How would you connect the mag lights to the motorhome's seven pin?

I went thee flat tow route to make life easier than dolly towing and to me that includes the lighting. Universal wiring and InvsiBrake is how I went on the Grand Cherokee. I got the InvisiBrake installed when Camping World was running a 50.00 to install anything so my entire setup InvisiBrake, Baseplate, Harness and Brake Monitor installation cost me 150.00.

I went with the Sterling Tow Bar because it is non-binding, has all of the features of the Night Hawk except the purdy lights and was 200.00 less in cost. Also on my tow bar all cables run through a channel on the tow bar so it is a neater looking setup, IMO. With the InvisiBrake I can be hooked up and down the road in a couple of minutes and after using the system I will pay whatever the. installation is should I need to outfit another vehicle.

My recommendation is have the TOAD wired for lights to include a dedicated charging circuit. Also, not sure what holes they would have to drill but they didn't have to drill any for my installation.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #13
CAG

Thanks. Good info but from looking it appears that the Sterling is being replaced with the Night Hawk and the Sterling also uses a base plate with a cross member that I don't like. Again there is just too much to consider which leads to overload

The $50 install option is not available so nice price but not there. As for the drilling holes, the Invisibrake system is mounted under the driver's seat and besides removing all of the carpeting and moulding for wiring, cabeling you have to drill holes in the floorboard to mount it. Sorry, not drilling holes in my new Jeep.

The dedicated charging is a good idea and I will be looking at that and will probably go with the Combo Kit that Roadmaster has that includes the wiring, cover, etc.

Appreciate the input!

Old 01-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #14

Crossbar baseplate is only required for the hidden cables. The Sterling can connect to the non-crossbar baseplate. If you ever want to use the Roadmaster shield the crossbar is required.

Also, InvisiBrake controller is attached to the carpet under the seat. No holes or self tapping screws required. If you don’t have carpet then holes are required.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks. Good info but from looking it appears that the Sterling is being replaced with the Night Hawk ...
FWIW, If a dealer told you the Sterling is being replaced by the Nighthawk run as fast as you can.

Just had a text message exchange with my Roadmaster regional rep and the Sterling is not being discontinued anytime in the future. If possible he would like the name of that dealer because he does not want folks selling Nighthawks under false pretenses (Sterling being discontinued).

Also, the Nighthawk tow bar is not quick connect compatible and is not compatible with the Roadmaster Guardian rock guard.

Again, based on text exchange with my regional Roadmaster rep. BTW, his visits to the house to assist with my InvisiBrake and cable installation are mentioned in another thread.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #16
CAG

Please note my message says "appears" no where in the message did I say anyone told me it was being discontinued. From looking at some Web sites selling Road Master, the Sterling is missing or not sold. The sales video from Road Master on the Night Hawk pushes that over others including mentioning it being their non-binding NEW unit. They are pushing it also. So, an assumption but a lot of evidence. With Road Master providing a good deal of that evidence.

I appreciate your input but my main concern in writing the original post was the taillight wiring and braking systems not the rest of it. I have done my research there including talking with a rep at Road Master who sent me a list of options, that did not include the Sterling, by the way.

I also have done hours of reading blogs and posts about shields and won't be doing that. Those who do not have it say there has been minimum to no damage from rocks and those that do have it, some say, that it just moved damage, what there was, from the front of the toad to the top of the toad. The recommendation was to go with mud flaps or similar. I usually "Clear Bra" my vehicles anyway so there is some protection to begin with.

So, back to the original question, and I am pretty much decided to wire for the on-board lights rather than the magnetic add-ons. Thanks

Old 01-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #17
CAG

After writing the above I went to the Roadmaster Web Site to do more research. This is posted on their site. Recall I said it looked like you need the crossbar for the Sterling and you mentioned it was not necessary?

Crossbar-Style Baseplate

This style accommodates Roadmaster tow bars and accessories by utilizing the crossbar and/or quick-disconnect system as a mounting platform. If you are using a Sterling or a car-mounted tow bar, you need this style of baseplate. See the components of this system.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
After writing the above I went to the Roadmaster Web Site to do more research. This is posted on their site. Recall I said it looked like you need the crossbar for the Sterling and you mentioned it was not necessary?

Crossbar-Style Baseplate

This style accommodates Roadmaster tow bars and accessories by utilizing the crossbar and/or quick-disconnect system as a mounting platform. If you are using a Sterling or a car-mounted tow bar, you need this style of baseplate. See the components of this system.
The Sterling does not need the crossbar. The crossbar baseplate does include the quick connect which allows using the included safety cables. It can be used with the other adapters but the additional accessory kit (electric and safety cables etc...) would be required.

The older Sterling was discontinued for the newer redesigned Sterling tow bar which has a different part number. Yes the Nighthawk is the newest and it is the first to not allow use of the quick disconnect system as a backup to binding issues.

I quite frankly don't care about which way you go. You asked for recommendations, I provided recommendations and you appeared to provide false information about products being discontinued. BTW, not all dealers stock and sell all models of Roadmaster tow bars. They stock and sell what they want. I spent 3 months researching, talking to dealers and reps before I made my decision on Roadmaster vs Blue Ox and then Sterling vs Nighthawk and Falcon. Also, by using a crossbar style baseplate my tow bar mounting point is slightly higher which results in a smaller high low adapter being retired. I can use a 2 inch high low rather than a 4 inch thereby placing the tow bar more inline with the vertical center of the Jeep rather than lower to the ground. The additional ground clearance is nice going over elevated railroad crossings and in and out of parking lots.

And FWIW, all the hype about the lights on the tow bar, I wonder if any studies were done to determine if the safety advantages justify the additional 200.00 in cost.

As stated I don't care what you do or the route you take but you have my thoughts and recommendations to take or leave.

Happy towing.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #19
CAG

Thanks for your "thoughts and recommendations" even though the ask was for thoughts on lights Not tow bars or base plates and what you gave me is not accurate anyway. This, I find, is the problem with asking these questions on a blog. You get too much disinformation and have to sort through it. Sorry I asked.

The difference between the Sterling and the NightHawk on Amazon is $60.00

The information I copied concerning the bar was directly from RoadMasters Web Site. I did not make anything up.

The Sterling does not need the crossbar. Did you read the information from that site?

That is rhetorical and does not need an answer.

Oh, and after rereading my original you will note that RoadMaster was recommending the NightHawk. That information was directly from one of their people in a phone call. She later sent me the list of items.
"Both of those were recommended by Roadmaster when I called them and I do like the Night Hawk's no bind set up."

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
2020 Accolade pulling a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 (little over 5,000 lbs).

Roadmaster Baseplate with cross bar
Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Towbar rated for 8,000 lbs
Roadmaster InvsiBrake
Roadmaster universal brake monitor
Roadmaster universal lighting harness
2 inch high low hitch adapter
Roadmaster 8 inch extension cables rated at 8,000 lbs (added because the high low caused a 10 inch extension)

I had a dedicated charging line ran for charging the Jeep battery while in tow.

The sterling is nice because I don't have to use a mallet on the tow bar to disconnect

Jeep tows great.

Attachment 55611
EA37TS,
Your list was very helpful. Going into this I did not realize what was really needed to do this right. Like CAC, my head was starting to explode. Now after a couple days of homework, we will probably use the same set up. The
only change might be the Nighthawk for the Sterling.
Also thank you for the info on a dedicated charge to toad battery and the brake monitor.

Mike