Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Tow mirror question

I am looking at purchasing a set of telescoping tow mirrors for my truck. Is there anyone out there with telescoping mirrors on a silverado that can tell me how far they stick out when not extended? It is a tight squeeze into my home parking spot so wondering how much tighter it may be. I know they fold in, but not sure I want to mess with folding them in every time.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #2

I never put the tape to mine to measure a before and after difference when I swapped out my stockers for tow mirrors. Educated guess?...about 3" each side.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

They stick out about 3" further than the stock non-telescoping mirrors that came on my truck. I'll get a measurement tomorrow for you, it's cold and dark outside, my truck is too long to fit in the garage...
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you. Three inches sounds reasonable. I had a reply to this question on the site I plan to purchase from that said 19". The stock mirrors stick out 12" so that is a big difference in terms of clearance. I can work with six inches more width, but 10" more was getting real close. If you wouldn't mind getting an actual measurement when convenient I would very much appreciate it.

Did either of you use add on slip on or strap on mirrors with the stock mirrors? If so, would you say it made a huge difference in what you see in the mirror? I can see okay with the strap on mirrors, but it isn't great. Backing up with the mirrors is impossible, I just can't see well enough. That would be another benefit to the telescoping mirrors, they would be power adjustable from the driver seat.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

My new truck came with the "camper" mirrors as Chevy calls them. They are great.

Prior to my 2500, when I had my 1500 I purchased the CIPA slip on mirrors. They were awesome. Clean, sleek looking and they looked stock. Easy to remove and clean. If I didn't have the mirrors I have now, I would have purchased those again.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #6

jenoble99:
I have a set of CIPA mirror extensions from my previous 2012 Silverado if you would like to purchase them cheap.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

Ok, in the normal position, from the window glass to the outside edge of the mirror is 14". Extended in the tow position from glass to outside edge is 18.5".
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

My buddy ordered the mirror extensions at the same time that I purchased my replacement mirrors and we put them on in the same driveway on the same day to travel together the following day. I loved mine and only spent $170 on Amazon to get them. Took about 1-1/2hr to install both. He wasn't so please with the slip-ons. Enough so that he ordered the replacement mirrors from Amazon as well when we returned and sold the slip-ons on Craigslist. His biggest gripe with the slip-ons was vibration while going down the road making it hard to see clearly in the mirrors.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #9

I believe OP has a 2009 Silverado. 2007.5 to 2013 should be the same but 14 and on are different.

I had the CIPA slip-ons on my 1500 and they worked well for the cost but love the actual tow mirrors on my 2500. I have the Chinese knock-offs found all over Amazon. They stick out about 13" normally and slide out 4".
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Thank you everyone. The difference in width is rather small so think I will order a set. I am ordering from Amazon. The mirrors that I am looking at are 150. It will be nice to just slide the mirrors out and not having to deal with the strap on tow mirrors that I have been using.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #11

That would be your best option. Replaced the OEM with the towing mirrors on the 2010 GMC in my picture. Took about hour + to install both. I also remember that the difference was only about 2-3 extra inches.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
Thank you everyone. The difference in width is rather small so think I will order a set. I am ordering from Amazon. The mirrors that I am looking at are 150. It will be nice to just slide the mirrors out and not having to deal with the strap on tow mirrors that I have been using.
Can you post a link to the set on Amazon?
NorfolkCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #13

I have read on other forums the control works different, any feed back? Has anyone had or made a pigtail / connection so you don't have to pull the panel to swap mirrors? I have a 12 2500hd. Thanks
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #14

Ordered a set

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkCounty View Post
Can you post a link to the set on Amazon?
Amazon.com: 2007-2013 Chevy/GMC Silverado/Sierra Power Heated Towing Mirror Pair (2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 models): Automotive

I just ordered them. Looking forward to Spring even more now so I can try them out. I did notice that three out of 120something reviews said that a required bracket wasn't in the box and had to be ordered from a dealer. I'm considering this an outlier since it's such a small number. Once I get them installed I'll post a follow up. Although, with the way our weather is going that may end up being May.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRed View Post
I have read on other forums the control works different, any feed back? Has anyone had or made a pigtail / connection so you don't have to pull the panel to swap mirrors? I have a 12 2500hd. Thanks
The panel has to be removed to get to the molex plug which is buried down in the door. From there, it is a simple plug and play in most cases, although the the wire on the aftermarket mirrors is a bit shorter and needs to be routed differently. You do need to remove and re-install a bracket inside the door as well. Where people run into trouble is when they're buying power fold and turn signals in the new mirrors and hoping they will plug and play with their existing power adjust and heat mirrors. It really comes to the build options on your truck. Check the RPO code in your glove box. DL8 code covers heat & adjust which I have. I've also heard it covers turn signals in the mirror but haven't been able to confirm. It may require a DL3 instead. To get to power fold, you'll have to change the door controls as well. FWIW, I bought a trim removal set ($17) at the same time as I ordered my mirrors and it made it a breeze to install. Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRed View Post
The panel has to be removed to get to the molex plug which is buried down in the door. From there, it is a simple plug and play in most cases, although the the wire on the aftermarket mirrors is a bit shorter and needs to be routed differently. You do need to remove and re-install a bracket inside the door as well. Where people run into trouble is when they're buying power fold and turn signals in the new mirrors and hoping they will plug and play with their existing power adjust and heat mirrors. It really comes to the build options on your truck. Check the RPO code in your glove box. DL8 code covers heat & adjust which I have. I've also heard it covers turn signals in the mirror but haven't been able to confirm. It may require a DL3 instead. To get to power fold, you'll have to change the door controls as well. FWIW, I bought a trim removal set ($17) at the same time as I ordered my mirrors and it made it a breeze to install. Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #17

I installed the extendable mirrors on my 08 GMC 2500. Took off small mirrors, power w/heat but w/o turn signal built in the glass. New mirrors have turn signal in glass which work in the truck. RPO code is DL8.
Stoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #18

just put a set on my Tahoe. Bought the set off ebay for $179. Power adjust, heated, turn signal front and back. Not a huge fan of the way they kind of point up and out, but they do appear to give a lot better visibility. If you are tall like I am, you may find that the up adjustment is not enough, but other than that I think you will be happy. I haven't towed with them yet. They do stick out as others said about 3" on each side farther than the OEM mirrors

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #19

I've noticed the mirrors do tend to turn up on the early ones. Mine are pretty much straight out. Here's before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror (2).jpg   Mirror (3).jpg   Mirror (4).jpg  
Stoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
just put a set on my Tahoe. Bought the set off ebay for $179. Power adjust, heated, turn signal front and back. Not a huge fan of the way they kind of point up and out, but they do appear to give a lot better visibility. If you are tall like I am, you may find that the up adjustment is not enough, but other than that I think you will be happy. I haven't towed with them yet. They do stick out as others said about 3" on each side farther than the OEM mirrors

I found a video on youtube that shows how to level them. Looks pretty easy. I will likely level mine using the washer method shown in that video if they are not level.