Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle and Hitch suggestion

We recently upgraded to a 2017 Jayco 32 TSBH. We never towed our prior camper as we have a seasonal location and the owners of the property can move the trailers for us if need be. Now that we have a nicer camper I would rather move it myself if it needs to be moved. I have access to a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado with the 5.3 V-8 and towing package. From what I have read online this should be able to tow the 32TSBH, although it would be at the top of the limits if the camper was fully loaded. If we are moving the camper it would only be off of the campsite to a storage spot while on the property (never hitting the road).

Does anyone think that there would be an issue towing with this vehicle?

Can I use a regular bar type hitch with the 2 5/16th ball to move it as long as the weight limits are ok? (700 Hitch/10K total) I would rather not spend a few hundred dollars to move the camper a few hundred feet 2 times a year.

Bigd1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

When I picked up my 32bhds the dealership had moved it to the road with an f150 and no WD hitch. When I arrived it was still attached to the f150, which the front wheels were pointing to the sky and the tail was almost scraping the floor. The guy who moved it admitted that the truck really struggled. With that trailer you will be over the 700 without any issue what so ever. If you have any inclines it may be difficult to actually getting into there. At the end of the day you need to be comfortable in what your doing, if it was me I would want a 3/4 ton truck which for a short distance should handle no WD hitch.

DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

If you are moving on the property and not touching public roads, you'll be fine. If the Silverado is 4x4, throw it into 4 low and you'll have more grunt than you'll ever need.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote