Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #21

I have the same camper as the original poster. It is a 2013 Eagle 351RLTS...

We also take shorter trips, rarely getting more than 150 miles from home...

Our tow vehicle is a 1996 Chevy crew cab dually with a 454. We've owned this truck for the past 15 years. It is more than adequate for pulling this camper. It has no problem maintaining 60-65 MPH on the highway. Our gas mileage is generally about 6 miles per gallon.

We'd love to have a newer, more powerful truck to pull this camper, but we also love keeping the thousands upon thousands of dollars a newer truck would cost in our pocket. This truck was paid for years ago, and maintenance on it is minimal. Based on 2000 miles per year, our fuel expense is less than a thousand dollars per year.

The best advice I can give is get a truck with dual rear wheels. Loaded with cargo and water, your camper will be well over 13,000 pounds and you will be over 2500 pounds on the pin. A dually will give you the kind of support you need for that load and a lot more peace of mind while travelling down the highway.

The weak links in most modern trucks are the chassis and the transmissions. Any one ton truck should give you enough chassis and transmission to get the job done AND be reliable. The engine is almost irrelevant. Anything produced by the big three in the past 10 years (in one ton trucks) should be adequate for the job.

Hope this helps.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #22

Thanks for the very helpful comments!

We only have experience pulling lightweight bass boats. We plan on traveling across the Southeast, AR, TN (Mountains), all the way up to MD/DC. So lots of varied terrain.

We will use the truck for daily use, as it will be a replacement for my work truck. Gas is cheap in these parts (today it is $1.99 gal), so the price of fuel wont be a factor in our decision.

I like the comment about having the right horse to pull the cart. I don't want to have to buy something again later because I didn't get enough power. I am not in love with the idea of a duel rear wheel because I will use the truck daily. Will the SRW work ok?

We are looking at a 2012 Sierra 2500 HD Denali SRW, 6.6 TD with Allison 6 speed trans with 45,000 miles from a private owner.
mcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #23
Site Team

Mine is a SRW CC. 6.0PSD. Over 104k. It's a pulling machine!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #24
bap

Everybody automatically shouts buy a diesel to tow larger trailers with, but with today's newer trucks, most of the larger gas engines are just as capable of towing as diesels. The big advantage with diesels is the performance in higher elevations and the newer engine brakes for stopping. The best choice is to find a truck that fits you daily needs and allows you to tow safely. People seem to forget, that we all used to tow with engines like the Chevy 350, Ford 351 or Dodge 360 all in the 210HP range and managed just fine. Even today's smaller motors break the 300HP range and more. Everybody wants to be able to pull their trailers up the largest hills and never slow down below 65mph. It's not all about getting their first it is about getting there safely.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Everybody automatically shouts buy a diesel to tow larger trailers with, but with today's newer trucks, most of the larger gas engines are just as capable of towing as diesels. The big advantage with diesels is the performance in higher elevations and the newer engine brakes for stopping. The best choice is to find a truck that fits you daily needs and allows you to tow safely. People seem to forget, that we all used to tow with engines like the Chevy 350, Ford 351 or Dodge 360 all in the 210HP range and managed just fine. Even today's smaller motors break the 300HP range and more. Everybody wants to be able to pull their trailers up the largest hills and never slow down below 65mph. It's not all about getting their first it is about getting there safely.

I towed my race car trailer for years with a '66 Chevy pickup that had a 283 in it. It worked just fine.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I towed my race car trailer for years with a '66 Chevy pickup that had a 283 in it. It worked just fine.
You revive bad memories in me. Tried to buy a '65 Coronet with a 426 wedge and 4-speed. Dealer wanted more than I could afford. Young and dumb, I walked across the street and bought a beautiful '65 Impala Super Sport, white, red interior. And 283 Powerglide. That was Tuesday. Picked it up thursday. Saturday morning Dodge guy said he'd sell at my price. Hated that car from Day 3, Saturday. OTOH, I'd probably be dead if I'd gotten the Dodge.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote