Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle for 2010 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS

Hi Everyone!

We are new to this forum and brand stinking new campers. This is our first camper. We are in the market for a truck to tow it. We have heard many things about makes, models, duel-lie vs. regular. We know we must have a diesel and Allison transmission. We plan to do frequent, shorter trips for now as we are not retired.

Please share your experiences and advice with us!

Thanks in advance!

mcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Allison? So Ford is out?

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

Just heard that term from a few folks. What specific features should we look for in a HD truck for towing this camper?

THanks!
mcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Im not so sure you have to have a diesel... It would be nice at times, but on shorter trips, a big block gas engine will do everything you want and then some, plus not kill you on routine maintenance like a diesel will. Id say if you were frequently towing long distances, a diesel is nice, but a gas will be just fine in you case, plus save you a bunch of money up front on purchase price...

Then again, this is coming from a guy who pulls a 31' 8500lb TT with a half ton Tahoe...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

Where does all this talk about expensive diesel maintenance come from? I've had diesel cars, trucks and tractors and the biggest diesel related expense I've had was replacing glow plugs in my 1985 F250 6.9 - in 2012!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Team

I have a 1 ton Ford PSD. I would not pull your rig with anything smaller due to the trailer specs.
If you want some actual weight figures I'll be happy to share mine.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Where does all this talk about expensive diesel maintenance come from? I've had diesel cars, trucks and tractors and the biggest diesel related expense I've had was replacing glow plugs in my 1985 F250 6.9 - in 2012!
Real high maintenance on my diesel 2000 super duty 14qts of oil per change, fuel filters, air filters and no mechanical issues in 150k. Might have replaced a head light along the way. My F250 had 100K warranty on the engine when it was new. I guess the dual battery's could be considered extra expense.
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Real high maintenance on my diesel 2000 super duty 14qts of oil per change, fuel filters, air filters and no mechanical issues in 150k. Might have replaced a head light along the way. My F250 had 100K warranty on the engine when it was new. I guess the dual battery's could be considered extra expense.
That reminds me. At 100k miles a Ford Expedition is supposed to get new plugs. So the local Ford dealer charges 3.8 hours at $144/hr. And that's JUST labor! Wonder if they charge extra for the labor to extract a plug that breaks off, as they're famous for doing?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

Im looking at the initial extra cost of the diesel, price of fuel (which is more than the price of gas these days), price of DEF, price of fuel filter(s), and the amount of oil needed, and the frequency of those services add up to way more than a gas powered rig today (years ago it was different, when gas and oil were cheep, because you would make up the difference in the additional mpg's you get with the diesel, not so much anymore).

Just to compare, I work on E450s all day long, most gas, but a few 6.0s (which im not even including the extra repairs you will spend on one of those diesels). A basic oil change costs us $42.36 (16 qts of oil and a filter) and that does not include any labor time, that's just parts. We are required to do the oil change every 7500 miles. Our gas V10s (using the same 15w40 oil) cost $15.58 (7qts oil and a filter) and are done every 5000 miles. Fuel filters, since 2008 Ford has eliminated inline fuel filters on the gas chassis so there is no need or expense for replacement (prior to 08, a gas fuel filter was $7 and some change). On a diesel, we have been able to find an in-expensive fuel filter kit (has 2, one upper and one lower, both must be changed) for $48 and some change and has to be changed every 15000 miles. Spark plugs, we change them out every 100000 miles. We use Autolite AP103 plugs that cost about $2 a plug. Ive not had any break off, however we have had one blow out. In that case, I simply threaded it back in and we have continued to drive it. Although ive not experienced it, I too have heard of them breaking off, but have heard that a local shop will extract them and repair the thread for under a hundred bucks a hole.

Longevity, today we are putting on about 250000 to 300000 miles on our gas engines (we've yet to have a 6.0 reach that mileage) before the vehicle is replaced (they are about 7-10 years old when we replace them and usually they are still in good running condition when they are sold). Ive been working on E series cutaway chassis since 2002. To date, I haven't had many major mechanical failures with our fleet (other than the 6.0s). NOT one gas engine replacement, only one transmission replacement and 2 rear axles (which both were rebuilt in the vehicle)

So unless im missing something, the numbers just don't add up own a diesel anymore (as far as I can tell). I can get the same job done with a big block gas engine as can be done with a diesel, and likely even save a bit of money in the long run. If the OP said that they were towing long trips several times a year, I would agree that a diesel is the way to go, but as the op stated, it will be short trips as they are not retired. Thus, I believe a gas engine will get the job done. Diesels need to run, run hard and run long durations to keep them happy. A gas can sit for days on end, run short trips and still be happy. Fact is, we just sold our 7.3L (we were part owners with my folks) and moved into a V10 for pretty much the same reason (and to help a friend out). Mom and dad use it to pull their 12000 lb 5th wheel a few times a year. Does the V10 have the same power the diesel did? Nope, but does it tow the 5th wheel o.k.? Yep, Dad has no complaints.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

Plowtoy, I filled my 7.3 up two days ago @ $2.399. Most stations around here are in the 2.70s and 2.80s for 85 octane gas. Add 15 cents for 87. Station nearest my home is $3.299. Even that one is less for diesel @ 3.099.

To be fair though, the last year or so is the first time I can remember diesel being cheaper than gas since my first diesel in 1980.

But really, 6.0? Okay. Yugo! Beat that! lol