Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Has Auto Levelers

Hey gang,

Looking for some advice. My tow vehicle is 2018 GMC Yukon Denali XL and has automatic levelers in the rear suspension.

I am heading to pick up our new trailer this weekend (our family’s first camper) and my question is how will the automatic levelers affect using a WD hitch?

My assumption is I would hook up to the trailer first. Set the WD bars before starting my vehicle, triggering the auto levelers, but I have nothing to back that up.

Thoughts?
woggy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

My expedition has auto level. I actually disabled it while towing. Is that an option for you? It would be best for you to level the tow vehicle using the spring bars.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

I've set up weight distribution on 2 personal vehicles with auto-leveling rear suspension and 3 vehicles with supplemental air springs. The concept is the same.

You hitch the trailer to the truck and turn on the ignition (or start the truck) to engage the auto-leveling. Once the auto-leveling is finished and has "leveled" the truck, start following the directions to set up the hitch. You want the auto-leveling engaged while you are setting up the weight distribution hitch because you will be driving with the auto-leveling engaged...unless you disengage it from the start like sasiki (which is another valid way to make sure it isn't messing up the weight distribution setup and effectiveness).

The purpose of the weight distribution isn't to "level" your truck. The purpose is actually to transfer some of the weight from the hitch to the front axle/tires of the truck and to the trailer axles/tires. The auto-leveling system on your truck is only on the rear axle. Your rear axle works as a fulcrum to raise the front of your truck off the ground when weight is on the hitch (like a lever or a teeter-totter). This happens whether the rear end of the truck is high or low.

Your ultimate goals with the weight distribution hitch are (1) to get the front end of your truck close to its original height (it will still be a little higher than when the trailer is not hitched) and (2) to level the trailer front to back. The back end of your truck will end up where it ends up. The auto-leveling rear-end will likely provide for a better ride than a regular rear-end.

I hope this helps.
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote