Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Hello, looking to buy 23 RB soon. Any suggestions for a Tow vehicle. Going to be doing some extensive travel next year. Any comments on the 23B? Thanks,Rick
rickfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #2

Rick, I don't have any knowledge of the 23RB. I bought a 24FBS in June and tow with a '05 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 engine. My trailer is a few pounds over 5,000 with load capacity of about 1500 pounds. The truck pulls it okay as long as I don't get in a hurry. I usually keep my speed below 65 on the freeway, and on the upgrades I will try to keep the tranny from down shifting. When I wear out this truck, I plan to get 3/4 ton truck with at least a 6.0 engine. It'll probably be a while before that happens, though, because my truck odometer is just approaching 100,000 miles.
Hope that helps.
Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfriday View Post
Hello, looking to buy 23 RB soon. Any suggestions for a Tow vehicle. Going to be doing some extensive travel next year. Any comments on the 23B? Thanks,Rick
welcome to the forum.

It is hard to suggest a TV because we don't know what you need. This trailer will have a TW between 600-850lbs so you will need a full size vehicle at a minimum. 1/2 ton or above or full size SuV like an Expy or Tahoe may work
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #4

“Extensive” needs to be quantified.
Pulling a big flat ended box through the air with a gas engine will get you about 8 to 10mpg, with a diesel that goes up to 12 to 14 mpg. (some will have different result). That difference might matter if extensive means you are doing 100K miles a year. A gas powered truck will get you 150K miles of life and the diesel might get you 300K miles, but the difference in initial cost will not show up until late in the life of either choice. But IMHO, nothing so far mentioned here matters one single bit.

White knuckle reduction is the important thing in choosing a working vehicle.
You get that reduction when you overkill the problem. Bigger than you need, more braking than you need, more power than you need, more space than you need. Put the dog in front of the tail and you will be comfortable in your extensive travel.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

We're getting a 23B that we plan to initially tow with a Honda Ridgeline. The 23B is right at the outside limit of what the RL can handle. But we don't plan to travel extensively.

If I were going to buy a new TV, I'd take a hard look at Dodge/Jeep with it's new V6 diesel. Might be an option for you if plan to be mostly camping vs mostly moving to the next stop. ie. staying a couple weeks at each stop vs a couple days.
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

rickfriday,

Welcome to JOF

When looking at TV's, many first buyers focus on the TV's published Tow Rating but there is a more important rating that should be considered, that being the TV's Payload Capacity. In most cases one runs out of Payload Capacity before Tow Rating weight limit.

Actual Tow Ratings: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3866

Many folks don't realize that a trailer's "loaded" tongue weight and the weight of a WDH (about 50lbs) is subtracted from a TV's Payload Capacity.

For example: The X23B has a GVWR of 4,950lbs, recommend loaded tongue weight is 13% to 15% of a trailer's loaded weight, so this gives us a loaded tongue weight range of 644lbs to 743lb (this is a worst case scenario with the X23B loaded to it's GVWR).

We have different loading habits, but based on other X23B owners feedback the their X23B average "scaled" loaded tongue weights have been in the 600lbs to 650lbs range (based on their respective loading habits).

So confirm that the TV you select will have "available" Payload Capacity to support the X23B's potential loaded tongue weight and WDH. Also confirm that OEM receiver hitch weight limits will as well in WD Mode.

Just food for thought

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

The 23RB is the new 22FB and it's by no means a massive trailer. Perfect for a couple, maybe throw in a dog or two. I just looked at a 2015 model last night on a lot. Definitely a happy half ton, gas towable trailer. That being said, you need the right half ton. I pulled a similarly sized trailer with a Max Tow F150 EcoBoost and I wouldn't hesitate to do "extensive travel" with that set up. You don't NEED a 3/4 ton truck or a diesel to tow that trailer but it wouldn't be a mistake if you can afford it.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
rickfriday,

Welcome to JOF

When looking at TV's, many first buyers focus on the TV's published Tow Rating but there is a more important rating that should be considered, that being the TV's Payload Capacity. In most cases one runs out of Payload Capacity before Tow Rating weight limit.

Actual Tow Ratings: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3866

Many folks don't realize that a trailer's "loaded" tongue weight and the weight of a WDH (about 50lbs) is subtracted from a TV's Payload Capacity.

For example: The X23B has a GVWR of 4,950lbs, recommend loaded tongue weight is 13% to 15% of a trailer's loaded weight, so this gives us a loaded tongue weight range of 644lbs to 743lb (this is a worst case scenario with the X23B loaded to it's GVWR).

We have different loading habits, but based on other X23B owners feedback the their X23B average "scaled" loaded tongue weights have been in the 600lbs to 650lbs range (based on their respective loading habits).

So confirm that the TV you select will have "available" Payload Capacity to support the X23B's potential loaded tongue weight and WDH. Also confirm that OEM receiver hitch weight limits will as well in WD Mode.

Just food for thought

Bob
X2
The 2015 Honda Ridgeline has a tow rating of 5000# and a payload capacity of 1100#.

They both sound impressive until you read the fine print. Tow ratings and payload capacities usually just include a 150# driver and exclude all passengers.

For a family of 4 towing with the ridgeline:
Payload capacity = 1100#
minus 3 passengers = -450#
minus tongue weight = -650#
minus WD hitch = -50#

Therefore you are at or slightly exceeding the payload capacity of the Honda Ridgeline.

The passenger deductions also apply to the tow rating as well, but the tongue and WD hitch weights are included in the TT GVWR.
tow rating = 5000#
minus 3 passengers = - 450#
minus X23B trailer = - 4950#

Again, This trailer exceeds the towing and payload capacity of the Honda Ridgeline.

this same thought process should be used for whatever TV you choose to buy.

Tim.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
X2
The 2015 Honda Ridgeline has a tow rating of 5000# and a payload capacity of 1100#.

They both sound impressive until you read the fine print. Tow ratings and payload capacities usually just include a 150# driver and exclude all passengers.

For a family of 4 towing with the ridgeline:
Payload capacity = 1100#
minus 3 passengers = -450#
minus tongue weight = -650#
minus WD hitch = -50#

Therefore you are at or slightly exceeding the payload capacity of the Honda Ridgeline.

The passenger deductions also apply to the tow rating as well, but the tongue and WD hitch weights are included in the TT GVWR.
tow rating = 5000#
minus 3 passengers = - 450#
minus X23B trailer = - 4950#

Again, This trailer exceeds the towing and payload capacity of the Honda Ridgeline.

this same thought process should be used for whatever TV you choose to buy.

Tim.

I don't believe the OP was considering a Honda ridgeline
Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

IMHO...Get a diesel. You will be good for now and future RV upgrades.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I don't believe the OP was considering a Honda ridgeline

I think this was just used as a example.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #12

Thanks for quick replyand suggestions. Can i ask why you are choosing 23RB? We like sofa and walk around Bed.Thanks,Rick
Old 09-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #13

I think there was a mix up in this thread, Rick is buying a Jay Flight 23RB, not to be confused with a Jayfeather X23B. The GVWR of the 23RB is 6,250#, far heavier than the X23B.

I'd be comfortable towing 6k# with my Sierra but that would probably be my realistic limit. A 2014/2015 1/2 ton would handle that trailer just fine.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I think there was a mix up in this thread, Rick is buying a Jay Flight 23RB, not to be confused with a Jayfeather X23B. The GVWR of the 23RB is 6,250#, far heavier than the X23B.
I was never mixed up
Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #15

Just for comparison purposes, I tow a 28 BHBE that weighs in at around 7500 lbs ready to camp with a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500, CC, 2WD. I'm at my specified maximums on payload with the tongue, the DW, me and the dog, and full tank of fuel. Nowhere close to the stated 9600 lb "towing capacity".

I will never do this again.

Can the truck do it? You bet. Is it easy? I don't think so. I'm always worried about what weight I'm adding, and I would rather just forget about it and be "over-trucked" and have a good time.

I only add this to the discussion because my trailer is significantly heavier than what you're looking at, and my 1/2T truck handles it adequately. IMHO, the trailer you're looking at should be well within range of most properly equipped 1/2T trucks on the market today.

But it has been said before, and I'll reiterate here: Don't just buy for what you're currently towing, there is value in considering what you may tow in the future. If this is all the trailer you'll ever tow, you're good with a 1/2T, but if you think you might upgrade, you'll get in the dance with so many others (including me) looking to upgrade their TV to better accommodate a trailer...

Just my pair o' pennies.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #16

suv maybe

Thanks for your info. I agree i just want to drive and not worry about that aspect. Towing a trailer has it's own issues. Possibly a capable SUV? Seem most haulers enjoy their pickups though. Thanks again,Rick
Old 09-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #17

I owned SUVs and vans for years. 3 Suburbans, a Trailblazer, and a GMC Safari. All good tow vehicles for what I used them for. My Sierra is my fist PU. I'm asking myself now why I waited so long! Unless you have a large family, consider a PU. I'm finding it far more versatile than any SUV I've ever owned. But again, this is really just personal preference.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #18

I also had a 'Burb many years ago. That thing was a tow beast. My dad had a Trail Blazer that towed his bass boat like a champ.

One thing to remember if you have enough passengers to need an SUV is that you'll be bumping up against the payload max with passengers. Three rows of seating is great for a family to get to the mall or the soccer game, but if you have all three rows jammed up with people, and gear in the back, you're going to eat through that payload pretty quick. With a full house, you likely won't have capacity for the TW.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #19

There are plenty of high-payload trucks out there that comfortably seat 5 or even 6 if needed. If I had a family of 6 I would be looking into a diesel Excursion (wish they would bring that thing back!) or a Suburban as mentioned.

I have also seen guys (some on here) tow with diesel E-series vans for large families - seems like a great idea. I know this is getting off topic, I digress.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #20

Suv vs. Pickup

Chuck, it is just my wife and i now. New PU's are really nice now and comfortable. I think you are right about them being more useful as far as camping goes. We are thinking of 3 or 4 months of traveling next spring. Trying to get all in order. Tow V. will be a bi priority. Appreciate your opinion. Rick