Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2023, 04:42 AM   #21

Good choice Mike as we had the same before vehicle before purchasing our 21 RAM. What you're doing sounds good. Remember that once you install a WD/anti-sway hitch the towing experience will be better in a good way. We have the Husky Centerline TS hitch which has served us well over 20K miles in all sorts of weather conditions. I cannot over emphasize that correct configuration/setup of the hitch is critical for it to function as intended. That holds true for any hitch. One other thing is that some folks don't realize that any weight added aft of the rear axel in the truck is to be considered tongue weight. Happy towing/camping!!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:26 AM   #22

Trying the tow vehicle with the three sizes of trailer is going to be very different each time. We tow our 212 QB with the Canyon ( and just got home from a six week trip) and also other trailers including small canoe trailers.

Everything is different.. Most important is backing up.. Short trailers change direction very quickly. The longer one has a significant lag due to the distance to the axles.

We just got ours and took off. We had an adventure Sat.. took it on the Blue Ridge Parkway and without notice there was a barricade closed between intersections.. We were able to do a uey ( barely as we had to off road it a bit) due to there being a bit of a shoulder. Then when we got to an intersection both ways were down.. and not recommended for RV's.

Our tranny is geared low for hill descents and we were able to make it the four miles down Rt 43 between the BRP and Buchanan.. We did not have to overwork the brakes fortunately.. But wouldn't want to ascend that grade.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92646 View Post
I thought I'd post an update on our tow vehicle/trailer search. We purchased a gently used 2019 Ram 1500 Limited (5.7 L Hemi, 3.92 Rear End, 32K miles) with the tow package meaning extended mirrors, integrated trailer brake controller, Cl IV hitch, etc.

Since I have almost no towing experience my plan is to rent a 6'X12' U-haul box trailer and pull that around for a day or two. Since I live in Orange County I can experience a wide variety of traffic and road conditions. Once I feel confident with that, I plan to rent a smaller 13' to 16' trailer and pull that around again for a few days. We may even try getting a camping spot close to home and 'practice camping' - set up, take down, etc but maybe not actually stay overnight before we make a final purchase decision on the trailer.

I know this may sound a little crazy but this is new to us, especially my wife who has never done this. I have considered the opposite alternative - buy the camper and the first trip be when we leave on an extended 60 - 70 day tour. Now that would be adventure!
One other thing is that when you replace tires on the RAM go for LT tires as the sidewall is much stiffer than P tires. You'd be surprised what a difference that makes when towing!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92646 View Post
I thought I'd post an update on our tow vehicle/trailer search. We purchased a gently used 2019 Ram 1500 Limited (5.7 L Hemi, 3.92 Rear End, 32K miles) with the tow package meaning extended mirrors, integrated trailer brake controller, Cl IV hitch, etc.

Since I have almost no towing experience my plan is to rent a 6'X12' U-haul box trailer and pull that around for a day or two. Since I live in Orange County I can experience a wide variety of traffic and road conditions. Once I feel confident with that, I plan to rent a smaller 13' to 16' trailer and pull that around again for a few days. We may even try getting a camping spot close to home and 'practice camping' - set up, take down, etc but maybe not actually stay overnight before we make a final purchase decision on the trailer.

I know this may sound a little crazy but this is new to us, especially my wife who has never done this. I have considered the opposite alternative - buy the camper and the first trip be when we leave on an extended 60 - 70 day tour. Now that would be adventure!
Congrats on the new-to-you truck! Kudos for wanting to get comfortable towing before you head out, but you may be overthinking things. The two different U-Hauls are going to be different than whatever TT you get (unless you camp in a U-Haul ) and will cost you time and money.

Once you buy your TT, no need to take a trip immediately. Rather, take some time getting used to towing it at your leisure. Find an empty parking lot or some less-traveled roads and practice. As others say, ensure you set it up right with your WDH under load.

Towing isn’t brain surgery but the more you do it, the more comfortable you’ll be. Take your time, and have fun!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #25

When we get a different trailer, I test it with the F-150, full hookup and take it out on the backroads here for a feel. We also run it down I-20 about 10 miles and back to see how it pulls on the freeway. Whatever works on the F-150 works on the F-350. The F-350 can pull the Jay Flight on just a hitch ball if needed. I prefer the 10K WD hitch for that trailer on any tow vehicle. Right now, outside, it's gusting to 40+ MPH.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote