Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #1

Tow vehicle tires?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I need new tires on my 2007 Yukon.
I tow a 2008 Jayfeather 23B roughly 600 miles a year. So confused reading reviews so looking for help here.
Luv2camp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:40 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2camp51 View Post
I tow a 2008 Jayfeather 23B roughly 600 miles a year. So confused reading reviews so looking for help here.

Common topic and you will get numerous answers mostly about how well a certain tire has worked for one individual. The best solution that I have always recommended is Discount Tire, Big O tires or one of the companies that handles hundreds of thousands of tires annually and are qualified to give recommendations. Call them and ask. Most here buy a few sets of tires every five years and I am certainly not an expert.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:43 PM   #3
CAG

Using the search feature at the top of this page. A bit old but the brands are still around'
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...res-67910.html

Old 05-22-2023, 06:03 PM   #4
bap

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Using the search feature at the top of this page. A bit old but the brands are still around'
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...res-67910.html
The OP is looking for tires for their Yukon truck not his camper. To the OP, make sure that you get at least 6 ply tires if not 8 ply. Do not put 4 ply tires on your Yukon. It’s hard to know what to recommend for tires without knowing more about your driving conditions. Do you drive in snow, off road, only highway and so on. I assume some snow driving considering your location but maybe you park it in the winter.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:46 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
The OP is looking for tires for their Yukon truck not his camper. To the OP, make sure that you get at least 6 ply tires if not 8 ply. Do not put 4 ply tires on your Yukon. It’s hard to know what to recommend for tires without knowing more about your driving conditions. Do you drive in snow, off road, only highway and so on. I assume some snow driving considering your location but maybe you park it in the winter.

You missed my point, and the point with all of theses "what tires" questions that come up here. Use the search feature because every tire question ever asked is in the list of past threads. There are literally thousands of responses here and on the Internet about tires, as well as which wax to use, which oil to use and the list goes on.

No offense but while we all like to help, help with some of these never ends because people do not research before asking.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Luv2camp51,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I need new tires on my 2007 Yukon. I tow a 2008 Jayfeather 23B roughly 600 miles a year. So confused reading reviews so looking for help here.
You selected the right JOF sub-forum for your posted TV tire question.

Please note JOF member 'bap' (post #4) requesting a little insight into your Yukon's normal driving conditions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
I was searching for the same thing, lots of opinions. After reading here and on other sites I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S a little over a month ago, haven't towed with them much to give my own thoughts. I will say they will throw some rocks on gravel roads.

https://www.discounttire.com/treadwe...tx-m-s/p/11823
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrison View Post
I was searching for the same thing, lots of opinions. After reading here and on other sites I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S
I just had these tires installed on my F-250. Very quiet and smooth but they do throw rocks as stated above, but most tires do.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
bap

Quote:
You missed my point, and the point with all of theses "what tires" questions that come up here. Use the search feature because every tire question ever asked is in the list of past threads. There are literally thousands of responses here and on the Internet about tires, as well as which wax to use, which oil to use and the list goes on.

No offense but while we all like to help, help with some of these never ends because people do not research before asking.
Well if you were making a point you should have said so and at least posted one that was pertinent to his needs. If you don’t like people asking questions that are repetitive, then don’t bother to answer and move on. Just because you have been around a long time, many are new and the search function doesn’t always pull up all the information that a person is looking for. Being snarky drives people away.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:07 PM   #10

If everyone searched only and did not ask questions this forum would dry up and go away. Why not just let people ask all the questions they want.

Now back to tires....
Old 05-23-2023, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
If everyone searched only and did not ask questions this forum would dry up and go away. Why not just let people ask all the questions they want.

Now back to tires....
Yep, I agree. The thread starter asked about recommendations to his vehicle and travel trailer, I think my 2017 Silverado and 212QB would be very similar. I bought my truck used with 42,000 (original tires) had close to 70,000 when I replaced them. I also checked tire sites and ended up buying from Discount Tire, very happy with their service. Right or wrong one thing I looked at was load index. It wasn't much difference but the old tires were 111, these were 113.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
I'm also a huge fan of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Ran them on two different Tundra's when it came time for replacements and was never sorry for the decision. Patiently waiting for the tires on my current truck to wear out so I can put them on this one.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrison View Post
I was searching for the same thing, lots of opinions. After reading here and on other sites I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S a little over a month ago, haven't towed with them much to give my own thoughts. I will say they will throw some rocks on gravel roads.

https://www.discounttire.com/treadwe...tx-m-s/p/11823
Those tires are the same thing I put on my 01 Yukon XL and love them. They are holding up well and wearing well. I do some towing with it and they handle my utility trailer very well. They are quiet and IMO don't seem to throw rocks much.

HOWEVER, my Silverado DRW, I had to replace the factory Michelin LTX M/S tires recently. The guy at Discount Tire said I needed the Agilis Cross Climate tires on it. I've barely got 200 miles on them and ABSOLUTELY HATE THEM!! The tread design isn't much different than my LTX's that were on it but they are some rock chucking (expletives). Michelin discontinued the LTX M/S's. I don't know how much more I'm gonna drive on them before i get torqued enough to rip them things off and throw them thru the windows at Discount Tire like their commercials showed back in the day. Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 06:40 AM   #14

Quote:

Now back to tires....
Fortunately advances in search technology will eliminate needing to search old threads by writing a fresh answer that draws from all of those previous threads.

The bigger help is reminding people they can wait a couple days until someone rewrites all the answers from prior threads or they can get help immediately by reading those threads.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Well if you were making a point you should have said so and at least posted one that was pertinent to his needs. If you don’t like people asking questions that are repetitive, then don’t bother to answer and move on. Just because you have been around a long time, many are new and the search function doesn’t always pull up all the information that a person is looking for. Being snarky drives people away.
Please check a few of those numerous posts I have made while being here “ a long time” to see the number of those that were helpful. Sometime snark is in the eye of the beholder and not from the poster. It is difficult to tell in written responses.

I really dont mind repeat questions but rather those who do not take the time to research prior to posting and usually try to help them help themselves with later questions.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:05 AM   #16
CAG

What Taft said

Old 05-24-2023, 03:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......Now back to tires....
X2

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 12:40 PM   #18

Michelin Defender LTX. Load range D.
Just increase your cold pressure to max listed on tire sidewall.
I've towed with these tires, with above instructions 2004 to 2019. Towed my 2.5ton sailboat all over the US. Not one issue in tons of miles.

Discount Tire recommended.
P.S. The all weather version from Michelin...a similar tire... Is also highly recommended for serious use. I forget the name but you can ask Discount
These are top of the line tires. Expect to pay for them...worth every penny!

Picture of that truck towing my travel trailer from Knoxville to Phoenix. 3 tons.
Attached Thumbnails
20180823_161524.jpg  
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:29 PM   #19

Quote:

Nothing wrong with open dialogue. It’s how this forum exists.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
I think the important thing is to go with a load range D (10 ply) tire. I like talking to the guys at the service department at my local Ram dealership where I get my oil changed and see what they’re running and how they like them.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote