Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Tires: P-series Against LT's

I towed all last summer with a brand-new set of P265/70/R17's with the proper load rating and have noticed that the wear is extreme compared to the front set. I maintained proper air pressure and all but I'm believing that the P-series won't stand up to the towing like a LT tire would. Has anyone ran into this? I'm considering a set of LT's for towing this spring and I'm just wondering if it will solve the premature wear I encountered with P-series.

"If something sounds too good to be true, walk away 'cause it'll burn ya!" -deerhuntr
"Nothing gives an adrenaline rush like racing"
deerhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

"P" tires are for cars... for towing you need LT... the sidewalls are just not strong enough sure they might work for a while but eventually.............

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Team

P are for passenger cars. You have been towing on borrowed time.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
P are for passenger cars. You have been towing on borrowed time.
X2!

Dad did that decades ago, on an old pu (single axle). He put on a pair of tires right before a 50 mile trip. We only made it about 5 miles down the road before turning around. He could not drive faster than about 50 before the PU got squirrely. P rated tires just do not have any side wall strength. The sidewalls flex incredibly on a trailer and can easily cause a blow out. With your 5th wheel, my guess is you have not seen this as badly, due to your hitch system.

Don’t want to sound mean, but get those tires changed out ASAP!
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #5

The title of this thread is "Tow Vehicle Tires: P-series Against LT's". So the OP is asking about the tires on his tow vehicle, not his trailer....

IMO, if you are within the load rating of your Passenger tires with the added weight of your trailer, then you should be okay. That being said, you mention that you are seeing more wear on the rear tires compared to the fronts.... LT's are more durable, but will not be as comfortable as a daily driver, are heavier, and will cost more. All things to consider I guess....
Frontier83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier83 View Post
The title of this thread is "Tow Vehicle Tires: P-series Against LT's". So the OP is asking about the tires on his tow vehicle, not his trailer....
You are so correct. I missed the title when I reread the post. Deerhuntr, I apologize for being so strong on getting the suspected wrong tires off the 5th wheel.

I would recommend reading the info section on www.tirerack.com. There is a lot of good information about tires.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

You didn't specify if your Sierra is a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton- I assume you have a 1/2 ton pu which normally has "p" tires- Perhaps the tread design you chose is prone to rapid wear because of the design or you may have purchased a cheaper tire which naturally would wear faster- All sorts of senarios come into play when someting new is attempted- If we had more info, someone could comment more intelligently- In any event, I'm confident LT tires could be used on your vehicle- JMHO- DD
Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

Just a note to add... I towed my 5'er from New Brunswick, Canada to Biloxi, Mississippi and back again on brand new LT's on the rear and you could not see any wear when we got back home. I am now convinced that when I tow, I use LT's, that's what they are for! I realize now that I was foolish thinking that I could tow with P-series and not have consequences. Thanks to all for the comments, this should end this thread... lesson learned!

"If something sounds too good to be true, walk away 'cause it'll burn ya!" -deerhuntr
"Nothing gives an adrenaline rush like racing"
deerhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #9

You will likely find that even with LT's you are going to get more wear in the rears than the front due to weight on the tires and they are the drivers therefore taking more wear. The LT's will last longer than P's, to some extent. Regular tire rotations with oil changes help them wear evenly.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #10

We went with Goodyear Pro Grades that have 10 ply sidewalls. They wear like iron.

Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote