Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Site Team
 
FPM III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fayette Ridges of PA, USA
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Or just buy a DuraMax, a lot less problems
I'll drink to that... so far, anyway. With the Allison, I run in tow/haul even when not towing because the transmission locks up immediately from 2nd on up and holds back better on downgrades than when in normal mode, thus reducing brake wear. I often downshift it manually when decending grades as the transmission seems to shift too late to suit me. Overall, this is the first automatic transmission that I've really liked.

I never had the rear (drum) brakes replaced on my 96 Ford F250 HD in the 13 years, 133K I owned it. However, I had the fronts replaced twice and the rotors once.
__________________

__________________
MODERATOR
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Site Team
 
FPM III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fayette Ridges of PA, USA
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
With any vehicle its best to have a full bank of gauges. Because like my friend that tows daily he's learned over 900K miles of towing that most all failure will show up as a temperature rise before the failure. So if you got gauges then you'll know something is wrong.
You are absolutely correct in what you say. However, I have to think that because you are not running a stock engine in your truck, the extra information that those gauges provide becomes more important than if the engine were stock.
__________________

__________________
MODERATOR
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
av8arkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Or just buy a DuraMax , alot less problems
Well I didn't want to get into a truck war here but this made me chuckle!
__________________
Stephen & Lori
Jordan (Our daughter)
Kitty & Elmore (Our 2 dumped cats)
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodstock, Ontario
Posts: 1,029
Cool

I,m with you av8arkie
__________________
Dave & Shelley GMC Ext cab Dually 4x4. Duramax Deisel.Allison trans.2010 Jayco Eagle superlite 31.5 RLDS 5er.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
Duramax/Allison or nothing... like my hitch cover says... "Remove to tow Fords"
Extra gauges while towing... Yeah you need them ... and if you tow anything large you should think about drilled and slotted rotors... Whoa is more important than go....
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Duramax/Allison or nothing... like my hitch cover says... "Remove to tow Fords"
Extra gauges while towing... Yeah you need them ... and if you tow anything large you should think about drilled and slotted rotors... Whoa is more important than go....
If your driving a diesel consider a exhaust brake...


I've got 180K miles on my brakes and going to 200K miles before change out my factory brake pads... Got both covered the Whoa! and GO!
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
Site Team
 
FPM III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fayette Ridges of PA, USA
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Duramax/Allison or nothing... like my hitch cover says... "Remove to tow Fords"....
ROTFL. I have a license plate bracket on the back of mine that reads:

"REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS"
__________________
MODERATOR
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
DW needs an exhaust brake or something on her 08 Chrysler T&C van. Frt brake pads gone at 32,000 miles, rear nearly gone at 36,000. Never saw brakes die so young, they eat brake pads fast, hubcaps stay black from dust.


-Lee
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
ROTFL. I have a license plate bracket on the back of mine that reads:

"REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
DW needs an exhaust brake or something on her 08 Chrysler T&C van. Frt brake pads gone at 32,000 miles, rear nearly gone at 36,000. Never saw brakes die so young, they eat brake pads fast, hubcaps stay black from dust.


-Lee
All in driving habits... I can driver a gasser and do the same thing it all in driving habits. Just because it rush hour doesn't mean to ride close and apply the brake often. I just hang back and take my time... On my Mom's 96 Dodge Ram its got close to 40K miles and the brakes and still better than 50% of the shoes/pads left...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #20
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post




All in driving habits... I can driver a gasser and do the same thing it all in driving habits. Just because it rush hour doesn't mean to ride close and apply the brake often. I just hang back and take my time... On my Mom's 96 Dodge Ram its got close to 40K miles and the brakes and still better than 50% of the shoes/pads left...

Part of it may be driving habits, but our previous cars/vans went sooooooo much longer between pads. This is an issue with these new generation minivans, seen it on the T&C forums and received a letter from Chrysler offering reimbursement for early brake wear. But what they offered wasn`t worth the trouble.

My truck in signature went over 90K before I changed the front pads and they were still good but I changed them anyway.

-Lee
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« - | Tow Vehicle tires »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.