Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Take in consideration that all the weight ratings has to within their limits.
Means GCWR, GVWR's and GAWR's.

I use a Weight Distribution Flow Chart with all my TV and TT or 5er weight ratings, if stopped by cops or DOT and they tell me I am overloaded I show this flow chart. Most of the time they are satisfied. But they are still in their right to take me to a scale.

Add a leaf spring doesn't change the mfg's decal
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnrig View Post
10 ply LT tires. We don't run P tires on the roads up here I like to travel and expect them to last very long.
wise man!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #23

Quote:
I use a Weight Distribution Flow Chart with all my TV and TT or 5er weight ratings, if stopped by cops or DOT and they tell me I am overloaded I show this flow chart. Most of the time they are satisfied. But they are still in their right to take me to a scale.
What's that look like? example?
huntnrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #24

Quote:
In 2012 it says the 29QBH had a dry weight of 6745 with 880 on the tongue vs the 2014 29 QBH which is 6415 dry and 800 tongue. Lighter materials?
Outdoor kitchen took some weight off the Tongue I beleive.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post

Add a leaf spring doesn't change the mfg's decal
FYI, if you are stopped and weighed by the police or DOT they are only making sure that your vehicle is registered for the weights. Theoretically speaking I can register my Tundra for 8800 lbs and there is nothing the cops can do to me, so long as my GVWR is under 8800 lbs... even though Toyota rates it to 7200 lbs.

A flow chart means absolutely nothing to any certified truck inspector. It is a very simple process. The total weight on the 4 tires of your truck have to equal LESS than or EQUAL to what it is registered for. The total weight on all truck and trailer tires have to equal LESS than or EQUAL to what you are licensed to operate.

Manufacturer warranty ratings (ie GVWR stickers) do not come in to play when stopped and weighed by the police. Now... those ratings do matter if you are involved in a collision involving serious physical injury or death and a lawyer is trying to sue you for gross negligence. Even then, if you are 200 lbs over its hard to show gross negligence. If you are 1000 lbs over it becomes a lot easier to make that claim.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #26

Quote:
FYI, if you are stopped and weighed by the police or DOT they are only making sure that your vehicle is registered for the weights. Theoretically speaking I can register my Tundra for 8800 lbs and there is nothing the cops can do to me, so long as my GVWR is under 8800 lbs... even though Toyota rates it to 7200 lbs.

A flow chart means absolutely nothing to any certified truck inspector. It is a very simple process. The total weight on the 4 tires of your truck have to equal LESS than or EQUAL to what it is registered for. The total weight on all truck and trailer tires have to equal LESS than or EQUAL to what you are licensed to operate.

Manufacturer warranty ratings (ie GVWR stickers) do not come in to play when stopped and weighed by the police. Now... those ratings do matter if you are involved in a collision involving serious physical injury or death and a lawyer is trying to sue you for gross negligence. Even then, if you are 200 lbs over its hard to show gross negligence. If you are 1000 lbs over it becomes a lot easier to make that claim.
I am not sure what the legalities are here in BC. This trailer is skirting the payload line, that's fine. I have to make a decision.

Here in BC I've not heard of anyone being pulled over by DOT to check out their vacation rig and weight it. On the other hand I've witnessed many grossly overloaded trailers heading up the highways. If you look like a wreck waiting to happen you are probably much more likely to get stopped.

My other "fix" to this situation is to just throw the family in the minivan and I can drive the truck/trailer by myself.

OR... Find a lighter trailer. There is a Surveyor 294QBLE that has caught me eye... Similar floorplan and about 1000lbs lighter dry.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #27

huntnrig; http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ull-mv2024.pdf

Alberta has similar

will try to move flow chart from other PC and see if I can paste

My suggestion to everyone is just do your home work and research Truck specifications and local state/provincial laws. When travelling you also have to take in considerations the district laws you travel through.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #28

Quote:
huntnrig; http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ull-mv2024.pdf

Alberta has similar

will try to move flow chart from other PC and see if I can paste
Cool, thanks. Not much in there but vague info. I have a family member who is a claims manager at ICBC I will ask them what their take is.

It's so close that I personally don't see an issue in my situation others opinions may vary. If I go 100lbs over payload my axle is not going to break, my truck is not going to roll over and the lug nuts will not fall off. That is my feeling anyways.

If I was 1000+ lbs over payload... Then I would be an idiot.

* - moving my spare from under the truck to into the trailer storage would remove 60lbs of payload... we're getting closer. Take off the tail gate and that's another 80lbs... Wait... Can't take off the tailgate because it has the backup camera... doh!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #29

Quote:
It's so close that I personally don't see an issue in my situation others opinions may vary. If I go 100lbs over payload my axle is not going to break, my truck is not going to roll over and the lug nuts will not fall off. That is my feeling anyways.

If I was 1000+ lbs over payload... Then I would be an idiot.

* - moving my spare from under the truck to into the trailer storage would remove 60lbs of payload... we're getting closer. Take off the tail gate and that's another 80lbs...
I agree with this, however I would ask do you really want to do this every time you tow that trailer? As a large family you certainly could all fit in the truck cab, but again is this what you want to do. If you are going to get the QBH, and it is a nice trailer, if a differnt TV isn't in the cards I think I would take two vehicles before I started removing tail gates and spare tires to keep the weight down. DW and some kids following in a separate car seems reasonable considering you are a family of 6.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #30

Quote:
I agree with this, however I would ask do you really want to do this every time you yow that trailer? As a large family you certainly could all fit in the truck cab, but again is this why you want to do. If you are going to get the QBH, and it is a nice trailer, if a differnt TV isn't in the cards I think I would take two vehicles before I started removing tail gates and spare tires to keep the weight down. DW and some kids following in a separate car seems reasonable considering you are a family of 6.
The spare tire would actually be no issue... It's easier to get at anyways if it's not under the truck. Tailgate stays on because it has the backup Camera.

I found another thread where a gentleman actually weighed his 29QBH at a scale.

See Post Here

He was 7780lbs loaded with gear (no water) and a tongue weight of 900lbs with two full propane tanks. Those specs were for a 2011 29QBH which has 120lbs more listed tongue weight and 215 lbs more dry weight then the 2014 29QBH.

I think I will be within the payload limits. Well within my actual towing weight capacity.

Upgrading the TV is not out of the question but that won't be for a few years. At least I know the trailer could accommodate us as my kids grow.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #31

huntnrig for sure. Manufactures set specifications to cover their *ss. Even a 500 lbs. over wouldn't hurt equipment. For comfort I always like to be within the limits as much as possible. I have been on to the scale with a 10 ton truck and was 2.5T over registration weight not the GVWR.....$$$Taxes

Doesn't look like I can attach a word.doc (Flow Chart Weight Distribution)
If someone knows how to do this let me know.
Can also contact me by email
Old 11-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #32

Probably too much wailing and nashing of teeth over some towing stats. I occasionally exceed my truck's GVWR, but by less than #150. I am under my GCVWR by over #3000; try to stay with in the 80% rule. (Tow #12800 combined with #16000 GCVWR).

I have between #900 and 1000 on my tongue, which has produced no sway with my set up. This pushes my TV GVWR, but I am generally about #400 under my gross rear axle rating.

I am a firm believer in not exceeding the axle weight ratings and staying with in the 80% mentioned above.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

We have a 2015 Eagle 28BHBE which has similar weights from the factory:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 6,605 Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 630 Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 9,250 Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,645

The weight on the yellow sticker with full propane tanks, the rear bike tray, upgraded counter tops and gel coat sides reads 7300 lbs dry. We are pulling with a 2010 F150 5.4 with Max Tow package and I am pleased with the way it pulls. Able to maintain 55-60 mph through the mountains in Vermont and New York although the gas engine does have to work while climbing and you will probably appreciate the extra torque of your EB. I am well under my towing capacity but I am close to payload and would prefer to have the HD Payload package in my next truck. Really like my Propride Hitch as it really does eliminate sway. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #34

Unfortunately I think your hypothetical numbers are going to be significantly less than actual scaled weights. I really believe you won't be close. I think you'll be way over. Keep in mind the class IV receiver rating as well. Your kids won't stop growing either. I won't be the downer and tell you that you'll immediately self destruct and turn into a flaming, twisted ball of wreckage cartwheeling down the highway- thats just not the case. What I will tell you is that BC is well known on all the forums for having some of the most draconian rules and enforcement for trailering. It's funny that you never hear of locals being pulled over or dragged through a checkstop, however I personally know of three people that were pulled into a checkstop in BC- one family was turned around and sent packing. Maybe they just look for out of province plates? There are some provinces that only give a hoot about your tire and axle ratings and what your registration says. BC isn't one of them. FWIW I go by axles- lots of guys do. That won't hold up some places. There is merit to the two vehicle setup. We do that now when at all possible.
Your 6 bolt rims are certainly not your weak link. Look at the maximum weight allowance on your OEM rubber. The rims are rated for at least that. The common number on almost all F series OEM rims for this gen is 2450lbs per rim. The most common weak link for half ton GVWR is the braking force and spring packs/ coils and how they handle body roll etc under heavy load.
IMO- too much trailer, too many variables. Just my thoughts though. Take it for what it's worth. With the correct modifications to your truck, you could yank that load around with your family all day long safely as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately- I don't make the rules

Here is some good info
http://tranbc.ca/2013/08/09/7-things...trailer-in-bc/