Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Towing a 2008 F150 manual trans

Ok guys here's my dilema. I have a 2008 F150 with a manual trans. Remco says I can tow it 4 wheels down without issue. The owner's manual says no. Usually you can tow a manual trans without issue as there is no pump for the trans fluid. Is the Ford 5 speed different? I was also thinking it is a steering wheel lock issue and I would just have to disconnect the battery or disable the steering wheel locking mechanism in the ignition. Has anyone towed one of these? Any ideas?
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #2

Some MTs do have a pump and will be damaged by flat towing. If your manual says no, I would go with that. I can tell you my Jeep Wrangler has to have the transfer case in neutral and the trans in gear to keep the input shaft on the trans from spin get.

You might check out http://www.ford-trucks.com for more on this but I think you have your answer.

You can always drop the drive shaft, which shouldn’t be a big deal on that truck.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #3

Some manual trans do have pumps. We had a Chev S-10 with a manual and the pump was in the tail shaft and could not be towed 4 down. Contact your dealer, but if the book says no my guess it's no.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #4

Finally found an exploded view..

I found an exploded view of the trans today and there does not appear to be a pump. I also found out that I can unlock the steering wheel and leave everything else off, this was accomplished by the emperical method today. I think those two possibilities are not the reason. But I really don't know. In talking to a friend of mine he suggested that it might be that the steering rack pumps the power steering fluid back up to the reservoir and it overflows, a manageable issue. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and call Remco and/or Ford. I don't for a minute believe that this is an issue that can't be solved somehow.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #5

You may also want to check into a drive line disconnect.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

Issue resolved

I got in touch with Remco and they put me in touch with Superior Drive Line. The upshot is that I need a driveline disconnect to keep from burning up 5th gear in my trans. It ain't cheap but I guess it's better than trying to put an new trans in on the side of the road. So I'm back to about $3,000 to $3,200 to be able to flat tow my truck.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Or just pull the drive shaft....
Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.H View Post
Or just pull the drive shaft....

I thought about that, but passed. It's a two piece driveshaft which makes it a little more difficult but frankly I just don't want to have to climb under my truck every couple of weeks or month. Theother issue is, what if my coach breaks down and I have to drive my truck and it's raining. I really don't want to have t climb under my truck in the rain, or God forbid sn*w. For somewhere around $1,200 I solve the issues. I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lightning View Post
I thought about that, but passed. It's a two piece driveshaft which makes it a little more difficult but frankly I just don't want to have to climb under my truck every couple of weeks or month. Theother issue is, what if my coach breaks down and I have to drive my truck and it's raining. I really don't want to have t climb under my truck in the rain, or God forbid sn*w. For somewhere around $1,200 I solve the issues. I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age.
Oh I wouldn't do it either. It's fine once in a great while, but not regularly. I was more just being silly.

Tags
f150, towing