Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #31

Ok I'll scrap that idea. Any way to tell tongue weight of TT before purchasing or just use the formula?

smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
snip....... Any way to tell tongue weight of TT before purchasing or just use the formula?
Linda,

Here are two ways ..........,

* Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale, dealer might have one: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...e+weight+scale

* Bathroom scale method: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...bathroom+scale

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #33

I asked the dealer to weight the tongue weight before they moved it (scale it at first location). They have two locations and they were bringing the trailer to the one down the street from us. He calls me and tells me that the tongue weight without the propane and battery is 590lbs. Can I beleive him? That is the exact number published in the brochure with a dry weight of 5290 and the yellow sticker on the TT is 5839. Shouldn't the tounge weight be higher if the weight is increased?[/COLOR]
Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Linda,

Here are two ways ..........,

* Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale, dealer might have one: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...e+weight+scale

* Bathroom scale method: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...bathroom+scale

Bob
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I would suspect he used the numbers out of the broshure.
As you add cargo, propane, battery the tongue weight will increase.

Maybe best way is to take the GVWR for the TT and multiply 15%. That should give you your max tongue weight under max load allowed.

Best regards,
Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Linda,

Quote:
snip...... He calls me and tells me that the tongue weight without the propane and battery is 590lbs. Can I beleive him? ....snip
Even "if" the dealer weighed the TT tongue, what good is the weight value to you without LP & battery?

Quote:
snip...... the yellow sticker on the TT is 5839. Shouldn't the tounge weight be higher if the weight is increased?
Not necessarily, it depends on where Jayco added the weight (weight delta between UVW & Ship Weight) within the TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #36

One approach you might try, is ask the dealer to weigh it while you watch the result. Seeing is believing.

And to Rustic Eagle's point, you might ask the dealer to have the propane full and battery installed for this weight measurement. This might be too much to ask, and the dealer may complain, but it would be more useful for you.

One thing that puzzles me, is my yellow sticker from Jayco says the total ship weight includes full propane tanks. Others on this forum have said otherwise. Beats me as to why.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #37

I was told that the yellow sticker weight is including full propane, they weigh it and then put the empty tanks on for shipping.

One thing that puzzles me, is my yellow sticker from Jayco says the total ship weight includes full propane tanks. Others on this forum have said otherwise. Beats me as to why.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
I was told that the yellow sticker weight is including full propane, they weigh it and then put the empty tanks on for shipping.

One thing that puzzles me, is my yellow sticker from Jayco says the total ship weight includes full propane tanks. Others on this forum have said otherwise. Beats me as to why.
[/QUOTE]

The weight on the yellow sticker DOES account for the weight of full propane tanks. But the tanks are shipped empty, so I`m assuming Jayco simply places the weight equal to the weight of the propane on the tongue when weighing the trailer, or calibrates the scales accordingly.

Now the weight you read about on the webpage or brochures will not include propane or options which is why the sticker weight is always more then the published weight.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
snip..... The weight on the yellow sticker DOES account for the weight of full propane tanks..
X2

The result of a relatively new RV Industry standard that all RV's are to have an actual factory "Ship Weight" sticker inclusive of full LP tank(s) weight (representative of). The main intent was to identify the actual "CCC" weight as it departed the factory, which is also less than the published CCC.

Battery weights and added dealer options can very depending on what the RV dealer provides, thus it's not included in the "Ship Weight" from Jayco. The new RV Industry standard also requires the RV dealer to attach a revised sticker if they add more than 100lbs to the TT, thus representing the revised CCC weight value (decrease of).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS