Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #21

I tow a 35.5 foot trailer with A Ford Excursion, goes down the road like it is supposed to. Trailer Weight is about 9600 pounds loaded Going down the road GCVWR is real close to 17,000 pounds.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDriver View Post
.... The worst was when we picked it up from the dealer and they did an awful job of setting up the hitch and sent us on our way. It was way out and the TV was nose high and bounced and swayed all over the place. Now, after reading up on this site, and scaling the combo, it's very stable.
Neither DH or myself are mechanical 'techies', and can only hope that the WDH installer at the dealer does the job correctly. We do know that they didn't on our previous tt and wound up hiring someone to correctly adjust it a couple hundred miles down the road.

We decided to transfer everything from the truck to the tt before the WDH install, so the tt is closer to the weight it will be when making the 2000 mile trek home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDriver View Post
The 6.2 Ford gasser has plenty of power too! I pulled it over mountain passes with zero problems multiple times. It does like to drink the fuel though.
It looks like your tt is a little longer and tongue is a little heavier than ours will be, so, I am very delighted to hear that your 3/4 ton gasser did so well with the tow and tackling the mountains.

Was your gas mileage around 9 mpg towing?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
I tow a 35.5 foot trailer with A Ford Excursion, goes down the road like it is supposed to. Trailer Weight is about 9600 pounds loaded Going down the road GCVWR is real close to 17,000 pounds.
Which hitch do you use? How is that hitch working out for you? Thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko06 View Post
I have the same trailer except in 2014 they called it a QBH and it is 1 foot shorter (boy I wish I had yours because the queen bed is longer). Anyway, I also have an f250 with the equalizer sway and weight distribution. My set up tows like a dream. I have mostly towed east coast and eastern Midwest. I have had some strong winds in Ohio and Indiana. No problems. The truck squat is minimal (maybe an inch or so). I haul 4 persons, a dog, a 130lb generator, 10 gals fuel in truck bed as well as coolers and misc stuff. If you have any questions, feel free to ask
Holy cow! You definitely have a lot of payload weight compared to what we will have! I'm really starting to feel good about the tv/tt combo we will have.

By chance, do you have the 'sway control' options for the F250 and trailer (I'm guessing no on the tt as it may be a new option?).
Old 03-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter78 View Post
You will not have any problems towing 35 footer with an F250...I tow a 37' decked out to just shy of 11,000lbs. I use 1200 lbs Reese bars on the fifth link. Running about 1500 lbs of tongue weight. I did nothing to my F250 as far as suspension. Just recommend to keep on the white line when being passed by trucks and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the advice on the 'white line'. I'm glad I can get some 'refresher' advice on current day r/t towing!

Does Reese sell a wdh that does not require the chain/links? I've read where you have to be careful when disengaging the Reese wdh so you don't accidentally get hit somehow(?).
Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
We decided to transfer everything from the truck to the tt before the WDH install, so the tt is closer to the weight it will be when making the 2000 mile trek home.
Depending on where the water tank is you can ask them to fill that up to add weight easily before setting up the WDH.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Depending on where the water tank is you can ask them to fill that up to add weight easily before setting up the WDH.

We always travel with at least a 1/4 tank. Great idea! Thank you!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #28

Get a Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride and you'll never have any sway. Plus all you'll have to deal with is the stinger that goes in the truck. No spring bars or messy greasing.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Get a Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride and you'll never have any sway. Plus all you'll have to deal with is the stinger that goes in the truck. No spring bars or messy greasing.
New tv and tt.... budget is way stretched thin

As much as we want a Hensley or Proride, it jes' ainta gunna happen Thus, the need to explore the other less expensive options.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #30

Not sure what they cost but I sure love my blue ox!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Which hitch do you use? How is that hitch working out for you? Thanks in advance
it is a reese and it works great. When I traded in our other trailer the took the reese and had to turn it around cause the Jayco was closer to the ground, and then set it up. I can go down the road steering with 1 finger and when a 18 wheeler passes me the truck and trailer only moves about 1/4 of an inch on the road.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
it is a reese and it works great. When I traded in our other trailer the took the reese and had to turn it around cause the Jayco was closer to the ground, and then set it up. I can go down the road steering with 1 finger and when a 18 wheeler passes me the truck and trailer only moves about 1/4 of an inch on the road.
`

Thanks Parcany! Love to hear how it works with a user on the road. I do know that with our tt/tv set up, if we go with the Reese (dual cam?), we would buy the 1500lb hitch.

How about hitching and disconnecting? I have seen some reviews showing that some users are concerned with safety while unhitching a Reese (not sure what model). What are your experiences with this?

Again, thanks!
Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
Not sure what they cost but I sure love my blue ox!
Once we purchased our Equalizer hitch in 2009 (after a realllllly bad Huskey experience), neither of us payed attention to other hitches available over the years since then. Now, of course, we are back in the market. Neither of us know the name "Blue Ox"; although the name popped up in some reviews I have seen recently.

With that, why is it that you chose the Blue Ox? Not trying to be mean sounding.... but what other wdh's have you experienced over the years? Thanks in advance

Old 03-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #34

To be completely honest I knew nothing about WDH and had never used one. I started asking around and looking at different models. A couple local people I trust told me that bang for your buck blue ox made one of the best. Many hours of reading, videos and chat rooms and I figured I'd give it a try. I was overloaded and wanted to be as safe as possible. Performance has been awesome. Drove in 50mph cross winds on a 2 lane highway and never had any sway. I tell you, I sure wasn't steering with 1 finger! I was scared ****less!! But it never moved.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #35

I have a Blue Ox as well and am very happy with it. It is very easy to hook up and is quiet and it just works. No messy grease either other than the ball which catches my pants way too often!

Previous hitches;
Generic round bar hitch
Anderson Sway Pro

I would really like to try an Equilizer to compare to as it is a well regarded and simple hitch.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I have a Blue Ox as well and am very happy with it. It is very easy to hook up and is quiet and it just works. No messy grease either other than the ball which catches my pants way too often!

Previous hitches;
Generic round bar hitch
Anderson Sway Pro

I would really like to try an Equilizer to compare to as it is a well regarded and simple hitch.
We had an Equalizer on the previous tt, which failed on us twice. The second time, the guy drilled holes into the bracket and tongue, then bolted the two together so the bracket wouldn't slide. Still had problems. After reading up on wdh's and getting feedback in this thread, I'm starting to think that our Equalizer just wasn't set up correctly.

Blue Ox question.... can you back up with the bars engaged? DH and I agreed that the ability to back up without having to release the bars is a must have

Old 03-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #37

Yes. I have never removed the bars to backup or maneuver.

My one complaint is that the hitch head is not adjustable but that is due to how the sway control works. So adjust-ability is limited to the size of the bars and how many chain links are used.

A bit harder to fine tune than others but I haven't needed to so.....
Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #38

Quote:
New tv and tt.... budget is way stretched thin

As much as we want a Hensley or Proride, it jes' ainta gunna happen Thus, the need to explore the other less expensive options.
Totally understandable. FWIW we bought our Hensley used for $950.00. Used it for one season before moving to a 5th wheel. If you have a chance to find a used one it's well worth the extra $$ over normal WDHs. We towed a 31' 7300lb TT with a 2010 F150 using the Hensley. IMO it towed just as nice as when we tow our 5th wheel with our 2500 CTD. Absolutely zero push pull or sway of any kind when passing a semi. In Oregon semis can only go 55mph. We tow around 60-65 mph so we overtake semis all the time on the interstate. You know the feeling when overtaking one. You get sucked in then pushed out. That activity completely disappears with the Hensly. (ProPride will do the same) I'm just referencing with a Hensely because that's what we owned.
I also like the fact that the whole WDH stays attached to the coupler and all you have to remove is the stinger.
I sold it for $900 a year latter. Could've got the original $950 if I wanted to. I've seen some for as low as $600.00 being bought by RVers on another forum.
Just something to think about.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #39

Besides Craigslist and local newspaper, any suggestions on where to go online to find used Henley/Propride's?
Old 03-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the 'white line'. I'm glad I can get some 'refresher' advice on current day r/t towing!

Does Reese sell a wdh that does not require the chain/links? I've read where you have to be careful when disengaging the Reese wdh so you don't accidentally get hit somehow(?).
The Reese SC doesn't have chains. It functions similarly to the Equal-i-zer, but has replaceable friction pads on the spring bar hangers. I think the spring bar hangers also rotate slightly to maintain flat contact with the spring bars when they aren't QUITE parallel with the frame. This is a problem I have with my current hitch (Fastway E2 that I never should have bought for this trailer).

I had originally set my mind on an Equal-i-zer 1400/14000 for my 33 ft trailer, but I'm seriously considering the Reese SC with 1500 lb bars.

BTW, my 3/4T Ram gasser tows our trailer (and could do a lot more) without issue. Nice thing about having the gas engine is the extra payload capacity. MPGs towing our 28BHBE (weighing between 8000-8500 lbs) are between 9 and 11. I have the 6.4L Hemi.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote