Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #1

Towing a Jayco 1206 with a Jeep Liberty?

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty with a 5,000 LB Tow Capacity; while it doesn't have the factory tow package, I have installed a Class 3 Hitch, and will add a trans cooler and 7-pin wiring.

I'm looking to get the Jayco 1206, which has a GVWR of 3,450, and is 18'-8" in length.

I know I will need some type of sway control device, but I'm not sure if I would need a WDH?

Do any of you guys tow something similar?

Do you see any major issues with this set up?

How do you like the Jayco 1206 overall?

All insight will be appreciated. Thank you
marc515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #2

For the reason that you have a (relatively) short wheelbase vehicle - and that you will be towing at the top of your capacity (by the time passengers and gear is loaded), I would be sure to consider a WDH.

I would also write JEEP and your class three hitch manufacturer and find out the specifications for their towing package and / or hitch. Sometimes these will indicate a maximum tongue weight or if the equipment is compatible with a WDH. With a loaded 3,500# trailer - your tongue weight could be upward of 400-500# gear / passengers in the TV on and behind the axel also count (in percentage) toward the tongue weight.

You will also want to dig into the archives and stickies on weighing your TT / TV to determine if your weight is being proportioned and distributed safely.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #3

BTW - welcome to the forum....
Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #4

get a WDH for sure
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #5

Here is someone white knuckled experience towing with a Liberty.
LINK

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
JaycoNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #6

The wheelbase of the Liberty is shorter than my passenger car. Short wheelbase and good ground clearance is great for off-roading...not ideal for towing. No doubt it will get dicey if you are going to push it to capacity.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #7

You will be fine with the 1206 pop-up. Yes, you'll be at the towing weight limit but you won't have the high wind resistance of a regular TT. I would not recommend going to a TT using the Liberty but for a pop-up, you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on the engine temps. Our Nitro (Liberty brother) didn't come with the Tow package and the difference is more engine cooling with an engine clutch fan.

We followed a Liberty towing a TT and he was all over the road going 10 under the speed limit. We passed him as soon as we could! I didn't want to see the end result. I am happy with a 3/4 ton truck!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

Actually, I looked it up and your TT dry weight is only about 2,400#
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #9

I have a 2010 Jayco Jay Series 1206 PUP and I towed, with no issues, the PUP with a 2006 Liberty Limited, with tow package, for three years with approximately 5 trips a year. A single trip could be as high as 350 miles round trip. I could easily travel 70 MPH with much stability but I do not recommend doing so! 60 MPH with, or w/out, disabling overdrive (depending on hills) was just fine.

I recently traded in the Liberty for a 2013 Durango Crew with the 5.6L Hemi and towed the same PUP. To be honest, I could not tell much difference, with the PUP hitched, between the two vehicles except in high-wind situations. One trick that worked with the Jeep Liberty was to keep the ball hitch low (below the receiver) so the front of the PUP was tilted downward (and towards) the TV. The Jayco Jay 1206 has torsion bars for suspension which act as sway bars when the PUP is tilted in this manner (in my opinion). This compensates for the short wheel base of the Jeep Liberty.

Good luck!
SuperQuark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #10

Marc,

I tow my 1206 with a Trailblazer with a 113" wheelbase which is 7" longer than yours so it is more stable. My truck has a little higher tow rating than yours. Fully loaded with no water it weighs about 3200 lbs and about 450 lbs of toung weight (14%). The only cargo in the truck is the 3 passangers (250 lbs combined) and a few light items in the back. My truck handles it fine but I have not driven over any mountains yet. I have surge brakes (it came with it but I wanted electric). I do not use a WDH or sway control and it pulls just fine, but I will not exceed the speed limit or 65mph, whichever is greater.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote