Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #1

Towing a Jayflight SLX 185RB Baja with a Tacoma?

Hi to all,

I am considering buying a Jayflight SLX 185RB Baja to replace a pop up. I own a 2007 Toyota Tacoma double cab V6 with the tow package. The Toyota specs say I can tow 6500lbs but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of truck and a travel trailer weighing this much? My pop up had a GVWR of 2300 and the 185RB is 3500 GVWR so that's a significant increase that's causing me a little concern.

Thanks in advance for any help.
oreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

We towed our Jayflight x20e hybrid with a 2013 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport with a v6 and tow package. The x20e has a GVWR of 4,750 which is heavier than your 185RB. The Tacoma pulled the x20e, however it was not happy about it (and neither was I). I didn't feel comfortable going any long distance, I was white knuckling it on the slightest breeze or bump and the truck was screaming on any moderate hills. Although I loved my Tacoma, it was quickly traded for a Tundra. The Tundra handled the camper like a champ.

I know my situation is not exactly like yours, but figured I would share that I personally felt the x20e was too much camper for a Tacoma. Being that your 185RB is halfway in between, I can understand your concern.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreal View Post
snip.....My pop up had a GVWR of 2300 and the 185RB is 3500 GVWR so that's a significant increase that's causing me a little concern .......snip
Welcome to JOF

Your correct that that the increase in trailer weight will influence the towing characteristics of your Tacoma, and possibly some weight limits. Also, since the 185RB will produce a heavier loaded tongue weight, this needs to be considered because it is subtracted from your TV's payload capacity.

Since you plan to use your Tacoma to tow your next trailer, I would first confirm how much "available" payload capacity you have prior to making a purchase. Take your Tacoma under loaded conditions (passengers, full fuel, cargo) to a CAT scale and weigh it (3 minute process, about $9), subtract the CAT scale weight from the GVWR noted on your driver's door. The remaining weight is the available payload capacity for the loaded tongue weight and WDH weight (if one is utilized).

The recommended loaded tongue weight range should be 10% to 15% of the trailer's loaded weight. Confirm that your Tacama's OEM receiver weight rating meets your expected trailer weights as well.

I'm sure some other Tacoma members will chime in with their experiences as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

might have to go with a 154bh slx Baja that's what I had to go with, seeing as I have a taco as well and want to travel with it, and be able to have a small boat, motor, and other toys in box and still have plenty of power to tow up big hills or off road
rooferjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

I have an 184BH Baja, looks like the same weight, and I tow mine with an 07 Toyota FJ just fine.

So if your Taco has the 4.0... No problem!!!

I did get this WDH, the 6000 LBS one.

http://www.amazon.com/EQUALIZER-9200...rds=92-00-0600
chewey46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

I've been towing a 184BH with an 07 Tacoma, crew cab, long bed. It does pretty well but we also pack very light. Our last trip was into the Pocono Mts. On some of the uphill climbs I did notice the truck working a bit but never to a point that caused added concern. I've been using a conventional hitch with a friction sway controller and that has also been doing fine. I am considering a WDH as a matter of personal preference; not a feeling of necessity.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #7

Thanks to all! Pulled the trigger and got the Swift SLX 185RB a couple of weekend's ago. Towed it this Saturday up Mt Lemmon here in Tucson with no problems. Looking forward to longer trips!
oreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #8

oreal, congrats on the new TT. I would still recommend making a trip to the local CAT scale to get weighed. It's a simple process and will cost around $14 for the 3 trips across the scale to get your weights.
This thread is one of the "sticky" threads in this topic (towing and tow vehicles). It's a good read.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreal View Post
Thanks to all! Pulled the trigger and got the Swift SLX 185RB a couple of weekend's ago. Towed it this Saturday up Mt Lemmon here in Tucson with no problems. Looking forward to longer trips!
Welcome....and congrats on the purchase....I think you have a great combo!

CAT Scale is a good idea....if you have the front storage, the tongue can get heavy depending on how / what you load it with....and especially if you add batteries or larger propane tank. At least you'll know how the TT tongue weight is being absorbed across your TV axles.

Happy Camping
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote