Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to 2008jeep
Towing A SKYLARK Trailer With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

To answer several questions that came up; I received the new stinger portion of the Reese hitch and put it into the Jeep GC receiver without the hitch (ball and weight distribution assembly) attached. It was so long that if I went across a dip e.g., going into some gas stations or some road drainage dips, it looks like the stinger would drag. The place that is doing the work to raise the trailer, will be cutting off the lower part of the stinger after they see what is not needed. When I tried the part, the Jeep's engine was running and it sits quite high. The Jeep has the Air Suspension System and the dial in the cabin was set to auto. When I hook up the trailer to the Jeep, the back end settles quite a bit until I start the engine then the body raised up to make the trailer set too high in the front. As I mentioned before, if I run in the sport driving mode, the Jeep sets a bit lower, but I don't have the traction control mode anymore. That is really worth having. Next Wednesday I should be getting the two back and I will take some photos so you can see how it looks. I've seen something similar on other trailers where the trailer sits too low and then raised to make it compatible with the towing vehicle. Looks like this is going to have to be my solution as well.

2008jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

2008jeep,

Thanks for the follow-up, and look forward to your feedback on the results of raising your Skylark.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Seeing how your tt is unlevel front to back triggered a thought you should consider if running your fridge while parked and hooked up.

Check out this info from a previous thread regarding issues you might have to deal with if running your fridge while not front/back level. post #20-23

Hope the level thing gets worked out for you
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #14

Towing A New Skylark Trailer With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good Morning All:
I was contacted by the Jayco Co. and they told me that they try the trailer and towing vehicle set ups for several different kinds of vehicles, but they don't try them all. I can fully understand that and I did tell them to be aware of the height problem with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Air Suspension System as it keep the vehicle very high. They indicated that they would make sure their dealers were aware of this issue. When I bought my trailer from the Richardson RV dealer in Riverside CA, they didn't seem to think the nose high trailer was any problem, but then again, they want to sell first and fix if the problem keeps you from getting out of the dealership lot. I'm being facetious here, but I wish they would have had some concern over the issue.
I checked on the trailer and it has been raised 3 inches and now the RV company is matching the Jeep's hitch and anti sway system to the trailer to make sure its set up correctly. Pictures to follow later.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008jeep View Post
snip......When I bought my trailer from the Richardson RV dealer in Riverside CA, they didn't seem to think the nose high trailer was any problem, ......snip
Talk about a sway event looking for a place to happen

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #16

Towing A New Skylark Trailer With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good Morning Big Sky;
Just a bit of information. The weight distribution system I purchased from the Reese Hitch Co. does not have the chains attached to the lift bars. The bars are secured on a tray using a lifting tool to get the bars up to the tray. The tray itself is attached to the trailer frame right next to the body of the V-Nose and has brake lining attached and as the trailer moves left or right, the brake material rubs on the bars, much like the old drum brake system where the metal drum is rubbed against the brake material. Anyway, I did try my Jeep GC in the lowered Sport Driving setting and it helped a bit, but you do not have any traction control operation in that setting. I came across a bridge where there was a rather strong side wind and even with the anti sway system the trailer and the Jeep began a sharp weaving that I got under control by slowing down. With the traction Control system working, I've never even noticed any swaying at any time.
The Jeep GC instructions give almost double the hitch tongue weight of 720 Lbs whe one uses the weight distribution system. I'm still learning but am getting better at the set up. I should get my trailer and Jeep back today and will see how the set up works.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #17

Towing A Skylark With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

To all of you that had comments about the towing problem I had, I appreciate your inputs. I got my trailer and Jeep back on Friday PM and I've attached a few photos of the set up as it is now. The trailer was raised almost 4 inches and the hitch ball was relocated an additional 1.5 inches lower on the new hitch adapter I purchased. The excess was cut off and the Critical Care RV shop in Lancaster, CA only charged me for labor because they found an easy way to lift the trailer. I feel a lot more confident in the towing set up now than I did before.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020666.jpg   P1020667.jpg   P1020668.jpg   P1020669.jpg   P1020671.jpg  

Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Site Team

Looks level now!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #19

It looks good now. It will handle a lot better and you shouldn't be wearing out tires with it sitting level.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #20

Man this all sounds like overkill to me. I have a Skylark and I tow it with a Ford Flex Hybrid. I don't not have a WDH or even sway bars. I have towed it over 10k miles with no problems whatsoever.

I don't drive over 60mph and it tows better than a little CASITA that I used to have

DustyMI is offline   Reply With Quote