Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2021, 04:43 AM   #1

Towing a Subaru Forester on Trailer

Is anyone out there towing a Subaru Forester, which is not flat towable, behind their motor home on a car trailer?
Looking for some direction as to the length of trailer that is being used. Want to keep the trailer as short as possible yet still functional.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks much.....
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #2

Our Outback is approx 190 inches long. The Forester is probably about 10-12 inches shorter. I would guess you want your trailer bed about two feet longer.. You will need to be careful as well making sure the ramps aren't too cause you to drag the car bottom when you load on trailer. If you are getting an enclosed trailer, i've seen some of those that are set up with an entry/exit door in the trailer that lines up with the vehicle door making it easer to load and unload. Say if you go with 200 inch trailer you need to add about 50 inches for the trailer tongue length, you en up with 250-260 inches, add that length to your tow vehicle for total length.. Just remember, now you have 3 vehicles to deal with when you park at campsites.. Personally, i would be looking at a Jeep Renegade, or Jeep Wranger where you can put the transfer cases into neutral for flat towing. You can't do that withe the Subarus because of their all wheel drive design does not allow you to place into neutral. Good Luck.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #3

Towing car on trailer behind Class c

We have a Mazda CX5, small suv. Didn't want to get a new vehicle so we bought an open aluminum trailer 16' long with a two foot overhang. We only use it if going over two hours away, else the car follows separately. It works well, can hardly tell we are towing anything. Yes, it take some extra work but when we know we want to explore an area we take the car/trailer. Our Class C is just 25 ft. long, so we just reserve a longer campsite or a pull-through site. Works for us!

2019 Jayco 24B
IslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #4

Anything can pull a trailer but for how long. Small cars can’t stop in a panic. Cross wind and sway is a very bad problem. When pulling at night we pulled through dust storms,Toronto and very bad cross winds on large bridges. Try to stay under 20% of the max tow rating. Keep in mind length.
If you have children yo will pack kids stuff that adds to your payload weight. We will not pull a trailer over 65mpg. Save your tires and gas.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:21 PM   #5

Tilt deck trailers are the way to go. No ramps just drive right on. I love mine. It will carry a pickup or a car. I also haul my tractor on it. Mine has a fold down left fender so the car door will open. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190428_130149827.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	77314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190428_072248969.jpg
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	77315Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_173030.jpg
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	77316