Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Towing and gassing

I'm looking to all the seasoned travelers for help. This will be our first year to camp with our new TV and TT. The TV is a gasser. The combined length of the TV and TT is 50'. Apparently the RV lanes at truck stops only contain diesel. How easy is it to find gas stations that accommodate this length without too much ass pain? What do you look for? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I guess I should have bought a diesel, sure seems simpler.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

Flying J, and Husky are generally the gas stations here that at least give you room to maneuver a larger trailer around. Generally speaking i have found that the gas stations that are setup with ample space are on the outskirts of town. I am sure the members south of the border will have better info on this for you.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Congrats on the new rig

When you can, stick to the highway truck stops. Generally if they are big enough to have a large diesel section, then the gas section usually has decent space.

If you have to pull into one of the smaller stations the big thing I look for is the direction the pumps are set up in. I look for stations where the pumps are parallel to the station with wide access and egress routes. If they are perpendicular to the station they can be very hard to get out of. It is almost inevitable that while you are gassing up someone will park in the spots out front of the store and block you in.

I count heavily on my passenger to help me scout out the stations. I know some of the folks on here will actually have their navigator pull up google images of gas stations on their routes to see which way the pumps face.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #4

I was only interested in the diesel, but IIRC Flying J (now Pilot Flying J) RV lanes had both gas and diesel.

Like you, our combined length is a bit over 50', so maneuvering through the usual pump lines is a PIA. It was doable at most Flying Js, Pilot, and Loves however. Most of those seemed to be designed with room for RVs.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

As others have indicated this usually isn't a problem along the major interstates. When you start heading out onto highways or state routes then it can be a bigger issue. We're a smaller setup - about 40' total length for TV/Trailer.

For me pre-planning fuel stops is very important. Once I figured out what realistic mpg was for our combo I set an arbitrary number of miles to travel before fueling, then use the GPS map planner to look for fuel stops within that range. Once identified I use Google maps to get a good look at the station layout before picking it to add to the GPS route. If I don't find anything around the mileage mark I've set then I look for an earlier stop rather than push things.

Even then it doesn't always work out so set your refuel point with an adequate reserve. For me it's about 75-100 miles on the DTE gauge. We rolled up to a station in central Utah that looked like it would be OK from the aerial view and found that even though the pumps were angled in such a way that you could pull straight thru the parking lot was just a bit too small to properly maneuver. So we had to move on and find another station. Fortunately the GPS located a couple fairly close that worked for us.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

Just wait till you need to pull into a supermarket parking lot before your daily stop for the night. When your off a major highway and you need to stop for a lunch break or a drugstore, that vegetable stand with fresh corn and cherries and other garden goodies. That frozen custard stand and the kids are driving you crazy and you still have 2 hours left on the road and it's all switchbacks.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

I'm with Tunce!

Learn how to maneuver your rig. As long as you aren't too tall for the overhead, you'll fit.

Even on the interstates, things can get tight. Specifically on the NY Thruway (I87 & I90) if you park with the trucks and RV's, you have to sneak back from the parking area to get to the fuel pumps. It's not hard, but does involve threading though a tight spot after turning the opposite way from the parking lanes and then a tight turn to align with the pumps.

Doing that really lets you know you're using a WDH!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I concur that the easiest is fuelling at an off-ramp on the interstate. I have also found that the larger gas station chains have more space to accommodate TT and RV's. If it is near the end of the day I'll hit the campground, drop the trailer and go explore the surrounding area and fill-up. With a full tank in the morning I am good for about 300 miles (36 gallon tank) and with a fill on the interstate, I am usually ready to pull in for the night before I reach empty the 2nd time.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #9

I'm over 50'. I figure most stations have to accommodate a tanker to refill. Sure it's easier at the newer and larger stations but if you're familiar with ur rig, you can typically tell how tight it'll get before pulling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Doing that really lets you know you're using a WDH!
Yes it does... hehehe!

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

I was worried about gassing up too, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I try to plan to stop at one of the big truck stops. Just make sure you give yourself enough reserves (I start thinking about fuel at about 1/4 tank). Worst case scenario if there are no big gas stations, there is usually one that is 10 cents more per gallon and is empty. Once, I paid 20 cents more across the street of a cheaper gas station because I could get in and out easier. Worth the 5 or 6 bucks. I also agree that you should practice in an empty lot and learn how to maneuver your right, it will help.

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

I experienced a couple of difficult fuel stop exits and quickly learned to plan my exit before entering. If I can't visualize my exit, I don't enter.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #13

I find that with most gas stations that you can fairly easily access the pumps on the ends. May have to wait for someone to clear out, but usually fairly easy to get to. You have the benefit of not having to worry about finding diesel.

I wouldn't worry much about it.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #14

There is one more option that I have used numerous times. Park unhook trailer go get gas come back and hook up again. Do you know how few gas stations there are on I-5 going south once you are downtown Los Angeles. I incorrectly thought heck take any exit there must be a gas station we can use, 13' 4" also limits.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #15

COSTCO!!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:22 AM   #16

Their are a lot of good info here on this post, I will be in the same boat this coming summer, the wife and I are planning a 1,500 miles trip to Las Vegas and will be looking at the gas pumps. I will mainly look for the Flying J, Plot, Costco, and other quick station off of the highway.

I'm also are planning on getting one of two 5 gallons gas cans so if I miss my gas station stop I will have some reserve in the bed.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote