Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Towing Apps

This came up on another thread. Just throwing this out there for anybody's use. I use Torque Pro. Also a popular Apple app is known as Dash Command. App costs about $5 and it connects to a device that plugs into your OBDII. That costs about $10 from Amazon. These apps replace hundreds of dollars worth of gauges and time consuming wiring. If your computer records it the app will read it. Not all PCM's record the same things. Also it reads and clear diagnostic codes. It will also look the code up with an internet connection telling you what the number translates to. Torque pro has its own forum where info is traded back and forth to get even more out of it and works for any vehicle with an OBDII regardless or make or type of engine. It measures a lot but I use it mainly for engine and transmission temps as well as for torque produced a percentage of engine load capacity. Also records the data for later use in a map interface, so you can compare numbers during different parts of a trip (mountain vs flatland, etc) Put it plainly I Love it and use it on all my vehicles. I was surprised at just how little horsepower it takes to move my trailer. 17hp is all it takes to roll at 55mph. But it's at 96 ftlbs of torque. Not bad for an engine that makes 263hp@4600rpm.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

I had bought the scanner and been using the free app. Thinking of buying the upgrade app. It is cheap and easy to use.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Can you give some more info on the device you purchased from Amazon ?
Thanks
Hotpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

x2
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

I just bought this one off eBay, it seems to the popular model of choice on F-150Forum

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261549809774

I have an Android Nexus 7 and will hook up Torque Pro to it. I just need to find a good mount that won't interfere with my in-dash nav.

Pretty cool gadget. There is a big thread on F-150 forum here:

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/android...4-pics-162047/
huntnrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpeper View Post
Can you give some more info on the device you purchased from Amazon ?
Thanks
This is the one I bought
http://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetoot...etooth+adapter
According to the Torque Pro forum there are some issues with the cheap adapters. You get what you pay for. This one works for me, so fair warning. This shipped directly from China and took about 2 weeks to get.
I took some fiddling with the App to get the correct PIDs for the transmission temp for my Escape. It comes with a standard set that covers the basics and then some, but everything is customizable. I have recently purchased an older Suburban and I am having to go thru the same process again to get the transmission temp working on it as well. so far I haven't found the correct equations on the web. I use my phone as the display but I am also thinking about buying a cheap "Chinese" tablet just for this and mounting it in the suburban. The bigger screen will make it easier for me to read while driving. Torque Pro is only compatible with Android phones or tablets.
I am having to learn the setup for the interface for Chevy, but the one for the Escape is awesome. Tells me EVERYTHING that is going on in the engine. There is a ton of online support and info relating to Ford's 7.3 diesel. If you can operate a smart phone you can operate this app. Its not hard at all.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote