Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2024, 07:47 AM   #1

Towing capacity

I have a 30' Alante, 2016, with a towing weight of 5000#. My Jeep weighs 6000#. What determines the towing cat? The frame or the receiver? If I replace the current one with a 10,000# capacity, would that work?
Thanks
Banksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:50 AM   #2

Tow rating is the lowest of several parts: the vehicle, the hitch, the ball mount.

Vehicle tow ratings are a combination of acceleration, braking, stability (both straight line and maneuvering). That depends on weight, springrate, suspension type, tire size, wheelbase, track, height, body stiffness, etc.

Jeep makes a lot of different vehicles, could you share a little more detail about yours... year, make, model, trim, engine, drivetrain, options, etc.

Class ratings (1,2,3,4,5) are weight and correlate to size of the parts.

If your tow vehicle is rated for 4000lbs with a 2000lb hitch, your tow capacity is 2000lbs.
If your tow vehicle is rated for 4000lbs with a 10000lb hitch, your tow capacity is 4000lbs.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksville View Post
I have a 30' Alante, 2016, with a towing weight of 5000#. My Jeep weighs 6000#. What determines the towing cat? The frame or the receiver? If I replace the current one with a 10,000# capacity, would that work?
Thanks
The 5000# tow weight is calculated into your GCVWR which is the weight of the rv and its contents and towed vehicle. They usually rate the tow ratings to keep from exceeding GCVWR. Chances are the hitch is no different than a higher capacity hitch. I would suggest going to a CAT scale to check your numbers.
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:57 AM   #4

Towing capacity

Thank you for your replies. I have a 2017, JKU Rubicon Recon, 4" lift, 35" tires. When I purchased it, the dealer said it weighed in at 4700#. My trailer weight was limited to 5000#. I flat tow it with a 4" lift and Blue Ox tow bar to keep the load straight as per the Blue Ox instructions. I was a brake buddy in the jeep to assist with braking. I noticed recently that the hitch has a new, downward angle, and two washers on the bolts were broken. I took the jeep to a scale, which I shoulda done right off the bat, and found the weight is closer to 6000#. I really like this jeep. So my question is can I get a higher rated hitch? Or am I limited to the towing weight for the vehicle?
Banksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:31 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksville View Post
Thank you for your replies. I have a 2017, JKU Rubicon Recon, 4" lift, 35" tires. When I purchased it, the dealer said it weighed in at 4700#. My trailer weight was limited to 5000#. I flat tow it with a 4" lift and Blue Ox tow bar to keep the load straight as per the Blue Ox instructions. I was a brake buddy in the jeep to assist with braking. I noticed recently that the hitch has a new, downward angle, and two washers on the bolts were broken. I took the jeep to a scale, which I shoulda done right off the bat, and found the weight is closer to 6000#. I really like this jeep. So my question is can I get a higher rated hitch? Or am I limited to the towing weight for the vehicle?

Why don't you call ETrailer and ask them? They have many experts on these topics. No offense to anyone here but most have experience with one or two systems. Places like ETrailer have experience with hundreds.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:51 PM   #6

Like I previously stated a different hitch on rv will not be any different. Most rv manufacturers just put a sticker on to suit the GCVWR
Old 06-20-2024, 05:57 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Like I previously stated a different hitch on rv will not be any different. Most rv manufacturers just put a sticker on to suit the GCVWR

And as I previously said, why not get an expert opinion?

Old 06-20-2024, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And as I previously said, why not get an expert opinion?
And the expert will say you already have the max capacity hitch the rv can handle
Old 06-20-2024, 07:02 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
And the expert will say you already have the max capacity hitch the rv can handle
And you are the expert of the day? How do you know what the expert will say Dr. Fauci?

My problem here is there are so many "experts" on this web site that have road experience and nothing more and they give "expert" advice. Does that "expert" want to handle the law suit that will follow for making their "expert" decision on a wide open Internet? You can and some have gotten sued for making statements that were not exactly "expert".

Send people to the businesses that are "expert". Don't make "expert" remarks unless you are the expert and are willing to stand the lawsuits that could follow. How often does that happen? Not often but how good is your insurance should it happen? Two sets of tires on an RV does not make you an expert on tires. 10 years of towing does not make you an expert on tires.

Give helpful advice. Mention your experiences, suggest repair advice or improvements but when you tell people that they should buy this tire, buy this oil or change a part and replace it with this part, you are on thin ice. Let people make their own decisions. Help them research, get more in-depth information and just make their own decisions because if you mess it up for them, they will learn nothing, blame it on you and never have grown at all.

I read a book someplace, sometime where a person died, got to heaven and was turned away because he spent his entire life not applying themself toward learning. They depended upon others for all of their life ventures.

Old 06-20-2024, 07:42 PM   #10

Not sure what etrailer "experts" would say. As somebody mentioned, you can put 10k lbs hitch, but it won't change your towing capacity.

A separate issue is what is actual, comfortable towing capacity. Lifted suspension and tall wall tires result in poor towing experience vs. normal suspension and low profile tires.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:08 PM   #11

The expert answer for this question is all about understanding what the published specifications are.

In particular, the "Gross Combined Weight Rating" (GCWR) which includes the RV (vehicle) weight, and the weight of what is being towed combined. From what I found your GCWR is 23,000 lbs. The "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating" (GVWR) is the maximum that the RV should ever weigh which is 18,000 lbs for your RV. Which means that if you are 100% of the GVWR limit then you can only tow up to 5,000 lbs without exceeding the RV's chassis rating. (23k-18k = 5k)

However, if your RV weighs in at 17,000 lbs (or less), then you could tow your 6,000 lb Jeep and stay at or below the 23k GCWR but you would then still be limited by the 5,000 lb hitch. Therefore, I would order a new hitch, 7,500 lb rating if they make one, 10K if that is all that is available. Keep in mind that there is no harm at all in having a stronger hitch than needed.

FYI, this is where I got the specs from and it is for a 2017. I didn't take the time to locate the 2016 specs as for some reason I didn't see that on the jayco website. I would suspect the 2016 and 2017 have the same specs though for this model.

I would suggest that you weigh your RV for more specifics and try to keep the weight down both in the RV and the Jeep so you don't exceed the 23k GCWR and upgrade the hitch in any case as you know that you would be exceeding the hitch rating for sure when towing anything over 5k lbs. ~CA

https://www.jayco.com/rvs/class-a-mo...17-alante/30m/
Old 06-26-2024, 03:50 PM   #12
TJW

craigav is spot-on consistent with my research. GCWR drives the number. Please be cautious here because I ran this senerio past my auto/RV insurance agent ( who is an avid RVer) and he confirmed the GCWR numbers senerio. Regardless of what you do so far as modifications to the hitch. You cannot exceed the factory GCVW specs. My agent's caution is a good one: If an accident were to happen, your insurance company will investigate the weights of your rig & toad. My rig is limited to 5,000 tow capacity.... I moved to towing a 2dr Jeep Wrangler with factory tires. Its a good idea to run the numbers by your insurance agent. Agent said the best thing you can do is keep a recent printout of your weight sheet in your rig if you get into an accident. I certainly would not want to cause a situation where an accident occurs due to exceeding GCWR numbers or any other tow capacity numbers for that matter. I spoke to a scale operator once and asked if they ever have to provide records of weights to a court. He said, Yep, happens all time, he added there's cameras on every scale & cops are in here all the time checking.
7.3 L V8 (Godzilla), Toad: 2016 Jeep Willys, Magnum Pathfinder ebikes, Roadmaster 077-10 Dual hitch receiver, 2in & 10in. offsets, RV Rider Hitch bike rack, Blue Ox - Accent towbar, Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer, Koni FSD shocks (4), SuperSpring Sumosprings, SuperSteer Rear trac bar, SuperSteer front radius rods, TireMinder i10 RV, Garmin RV 785, Magna shades, Traeger Ranger
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 07:53 AM   #13

30' trailer + Jeep = No! Don't do it!

My 2 cents

I have a 30' trailer, I tow it with a 1 ton SRW. I would never tow it with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spower View Post

My 2 cents

I have a 30' trailer, I tow it with a 1 ton SRW. I would never tow it with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.
I wouldn't suggest to tow a jeep behind a 30' trailer either. However in this case, the OP has a 30' Alante which is a motorhome that has a relatively strong engine\transmission and chassis with a GCWR of 23,000 lbs. ~CA
Old 06-27-2024, 12:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spower View Post

My 2 cents

Do ya think we are discussing a tow vehicle or a towed vehicle?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 12:46 PM   #16
TJW

Original ? in this thread involved a motorhome & toad vehicle but as is typical, to arrive at a possible solution one has to consider both the tow vehicle (MH) and the towed (toad) vehicles. The critical Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) being the maximum weight a vehicle can safely carry (haul/pull), including the vehicle, cargo, passengers, and toad weights in this case. Toad can be replaced with "trailer" in the case of a travel trailer. Good question norty1.
7.3 L V8 (Godzilla), Toad: 2016 Jeep Willys, Magnum Pathfinder ebikes, Roadmaster 077-10 Dual hitch receiver, 2in & 10in. offsets, RV Rider Hitch bike rack, Blue Ox - Accent towbar, Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer, Koni FSD shocks (4), SuperSpring Sumosprings, SuperSteer Rear trac bar, SuperSteer front radius rods, TireMinder i10 RV, Garmin RV 785, Magna shades, Traeger Ranger
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 03:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do ya think we are discussing a tow vehicle or a towed vehicle?
Wait, I thought this thread was discussing a TOAD vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
7608d5c0336c2d91db921768205161fc.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 08:38 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
Wait, I thought this thread was discussing a TOAD vehicle.
Oh my! Murff has some competition with the corn!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Oh my! Murff has some competition with the corn!
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote