Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Haven't seen the numbers on the regular sized SUV mentioned by the OP, but I suspect with 7-8 people, plus a proper WDH w/ sway control, plus the tongue weight of the trailer, I'd bet he'd be way over the cargo capacity of his SUV.

I have Toyota Sequoia. I can tell you that with 8 adults in the SUV that averages 175#, I would be over my cargo capacity, forget about towing anything. Lucky we only have 2 adults and 4 kids so we still have room for WDH and a few hundred # for tongue weight.
Here is my specification for reference.
Cargo Capacity- 1230#
Tires 2601# each
Front axle 4000#
Rear axle 4250#
Hitch welded on from factory rated for 910# with WDH towing 9100#
In the owner manual my GCWR is 17,280#

My weakest link is the cargo capacity. Towing for 3 year with average of 2500 miles, it have been uneventful.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbagnall View Post
I purchased a 2018 19H before purchasing the tow vehicle. The 19H is about 4,950 lbs at full capacity. I have no idea if I'll put enough junk in there to get the camper at the full capacity weight. Most "regular size" SUVs have a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs.

If I got a "regular size" SUV am I cutting it too close? Stepping up to the larger SUVs obviously cost more and are bigger than I need them to be (we're a family of 4).

How much of the TV capacity should you actually tow? Should you leave some room? How much room?

This might have already been discussed before, so if so, please just point me to the previous thread.

Thanks in advance.
I like to leave a margin of error. I would feel uncomfortable towing to the max of my TV. I feel more comfortable at 10%+ margin of error.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #43

Dont make the rookie mistake I made! It almost cost us our camper, van and possibly our lives! We had a beautiful 2016 Grand caravan sxt (rater to tow 3600lbs)and we love it! We purchased a Coleman Bayside 14 foot popup (gvwr 3500) and towed it for one summer. My wife and son fell in love with camping so we went to look at campers at the end of the season. We found the perfect upgrade it was a Jayco x17z (gvmr 3500) and I asked the salesman (big mistake looking back) if we could pull it and he said "if you dont fill the potable water tank you will be fine". Well, first trip was interesting to say the least! It worked hard and felt very unpredictable on the road! The whole trip I drove 90km and no faster. Once we got home I had a AirLift 1000 system installed and upgraded the tire to a higher load range. Now the van handled SO much better! I felt safer and confident towing it on shorter trips until we could afford a new truck, which was about 12 month. On our last trip all hell let loose! The most horrific thing happened to me while towing the camper! A transport truck blew an outside trailer tire as he was pulling in to my land after passing me! The huge rubber tread flew in front of us! I had to try to swerve or take it in the windshield! My wife yelled as I went for the paved shoulder and at the point I realized why you ALWAYS want TV that is able to handle at least 20 to 30% more then you intend to tow! The weight of the camper behind up caused the van to be pushed into a small and friggin scary sideways skid! It lasted about 1 to 2 seconds but it felt like 20 mins! After that trip we had to break into our savings for a down payment on a new 2017 f150 xlt with the 3.5ecoboost and max tow package 11600lbs! With a truck that is so much more then we need for such a light camper it is a dream to tow and enjoyable! When we were on the I95 heading toward Bangor, Maine I had a uhaul truck pull back on to the road in front of me with no signal! I was able to signal and quickly go around him like it was nothing! Please, listen to the people on here they know what they are talking g about!
Auto_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #44

Towing capacity is about the least important number... you almost ALWAYS run out of cargo capacity long before towing capacity is reached. Only time towing capacity may be of importance, is, if your towing a 4 wheel wagon, with almost zero hitch weight. Than it may make sense that, in my case, I can drag 10,300 lbs down the road. But a 8,000 lb TT will most likely be way over my cargo capacity, which is the total weight put on the tow vehicle. All cargo, hitch, people plus actual hitch weight, not published hitch weight which is only an imaginary number. You have to add in propane, batteries, all the crap in the front storage compartment etc.

Vehicle salesmen are either totally ignorant or, totally misleading to make a sale...either way, Never trust one.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #45

Auto Pilot, sorry to hear about your experience. I do not want to rain on your parade. Unfortunately, trucks are not the best examples of vehicle with a good handling, in particular, in emergency situations. This is result of high center of gravity, primitive suspension and steering. I would bet that your Grand caravan sxt with CORRECT hitch would better in emergency situation than F150. I know that such statement will not get traction here tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot View Post
Dont make the rookie mistake I made! It almost cost us our camper, van and possibly our lives! We had a beautiful 2016 Grand caravan sxt (rater to tow 3600lbs)and we love it! We purchased a Coleman Bayside 14 foot popup (gvwr 3500) and towed it for one summer. My wife and son fell in love with camping so we went to look at campers at the end of the season. We found the perfect upgrade it was a Jayco x17z (gvmr 3500) and I asked the salesman (big mistake looking back) if we could pull it and he said "if you dont fill the potable water tank you will be fine". Well, first trip was interesting to say the least! It worked hard and felt very unpredictable on the road! The whole trip I drove 90km and no faster. Once we got home I had a AirLift 1000 system installed and upgraded the tire to a higher load range. Now the van handled SO much better! I felt safer and confident towing it on shorter trips until we could afford a new truck, which was about 12 month. On our last trip all hell let loose! The most horrific thing happened to me while towing the camper! A transport truck blew an outside trailer tire as he was pulling in to my land after passing me! The huge rubber tread flew in front of us! I had to try to swerve or take it in the windshield! My wife yelled as I went for the paved shoulder and at the point I realized why you ALWAYS want TV that is able to handle at least 20 to 30% more then you intend to tow! The weight of the camper behind up caused the van to be pushed into a small and friggin scary sideways skid! It lasted about 1 to 2 seconds but it felt like 20 mins! After that trip we had to break into our savings for a down payment on a new 2017 f150 xlt with the 3.5ecoboost and max tow package 11600lbs! With a truck that is so much more then we need for such a light camper it is a dream to tow and enjoyable! When we were on the I95 heading toward Bangor, Maine I had a uhaul truck pull back on to the road in front of me with no signal! I was able to signal and quickly go around him like it was nothing! Please, listen to the people on here they know what they are talking g about!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Auto Pilot, sorry to hear about your experience. I do not want to rain on your parade. Unfortunately, trucks are not the best examples of vehicle with a good handling, in particular, in emergency situations. This is result of high center of gravity, primitive suspension and steering. I would bet that your Grand caravan sxt with CORRECT hitch would better in emergency situation than F150. I know that such statement will not get traction here tough.
If both vehicles were being compared unloaded and nothing being towed that yes, I would agree with you sir! However, I did one can tell you that your statement is absolutely not true! I was the person who was at the wheel and can tell you that 3500lbs behind the van in a abrupt maneuver is dangerous. Now 3500lbs behind a half ton truck in the same conditions was completely different. I am sure most people here will agree with me. Thank you for you reply.
Auto_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #47

Auto Pilot, if you are happy, I am happy too!

Happy camping!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot View Post
This why I will always have a decent margin between what a truck is claimed to be able to tow, and what I actually tow behind it.

My truck, a F150 4x4, S Cab, 8' box, and HDPP and Max Tow with 2286# CC. It is a relatively strong TV for a half ton. My current trailer is 6500# GVWR. I would only go up to about 7500# TV before I'd also move up to a 3/4 ton gasser, or 1 ton diesel.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote