Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #1

towing=confusion!!!

We have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi that we got last February and we are looking at a 2000 Jayco Eagle 313 RKS.
I have been told MANY different things like.... Yes you can, No you can't, well..... Maybe.... ?????? Today I was told that if we have special springs built and added to our truck we can pull it the 72-75 miles that we go and drop it off at the campground and leave it there all summer and then take it home September.

I really could use some input here, Please Help!!!

Thanks,

Teri
Duluth, MN
Teristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #2

Not really enough information to provide a quality answer. In general I wouldn't think a fifth wheel like 313RKS is a good match for any 1/2 ton pickup. If you provide actual weights for the 5er and what exact model your truck is someone could help go through the numbers.

A quick web search puts the dry pin wight ~1500lbs; a bit much for a 1/2 ton especially after you add in the weight of the hitch, any passengers or stuff in the tuck too.

If you will really only tow it twice a year for 75 miles, I would just pay someone to move it for me and not worry at all about it. Heck, just buying and installing the fifth wheel hitch will pay the first several tows.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately IMO you may find that your Ram 1500 lacks enough Payload Capacity to support the 313RKS's loaded pin weight.

The best way to determine what your 2011 Ram can support (TT Tongue Weight or FW Pin Weight) is take your Ram to a CAT scale....., it's a simple process. Weigh your Ram "loaded" (full fuel, passengers, cargo) then subtract the CAT scale weight from your Ram's GVWR that is noted on your driver's door. The remaining weight is the available Payload Capacity you have for a TT's loaded tongue weight or a FW's loaded pin weight.

Taking the couple minutes at the CAT scale will eliminate all the guess work.

I noticed you also posted at the "Weighed my 2013 Ram today" thread, which is a good reference for what many 1/2 ton owners run into with the heavier TT's..., especially FW's.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...2013-Ram-today

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

I can only add a couple things to what Rustic Eagle said. Their should be a tag on the inside driver side door frame that says something like, "The total weight of cargo and occupants should never exceed...". The word "should" is key because you can, of course, carry much more than that load however, you really shouldn't for reasons of safety. Many times trucks can PULL within than their capacity limits however, the problem comes in what the truck (TV) can CARRY. Big difference. Good luck in your search!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

If you are close on the weights you could possibly tow the empty trailer the 72 miles. Air bags could certainly help keep the truck level but they will not change the limits set by the manufacturer, neither will changing the springs.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote