Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Towing guru help needed! Am I safe pulling this with the truck I have?

I could really use some advice from a someone knowledgeable about towing safety.

TV
I have 2007(newer body style) Chevy 3500HD Duramax SINGLE REAR WHEEL, Load E tires all around. I also have a 62 gallon high capacity fuel tank that replaced the OEM one. I have longer shackles which have lowered the rear about 1.5 inches and replaced the bump stops with Timbren rubber springs.

Fifth wheel/Toy hauler
I am pulling a 2011 Jayco Recon ZX 39C. The tongue weight dry on these is 3400lb!

I just took it on a 1300 mile trip and thought I'd roll it on to the scales just for kicks. Truck Front axle was 4200lb. Trailer weight was 16000lb. Truck rear axle was 8000lb!!

After that I was nervous the whole ride since each of my truck tires are only rated for 3400lb each. You do the math. Was that a foolish decision to drive all that way? Do I need to immediately get a dually so as not to put my life and others in danger anytime I pull that thing on the interstate? I'm also running a gooseneck adapter setup attached to the B&W hide-a-ball in my bed which is making for a really jerky ride. I am going to be adding the B&W companion and ditch the gooseneck adapter. But regarding safety does anyone have a solution for me? Could I go with more heavy duty rated tires like Load F or even G? Will they even fit on my truck? Thank you so much in advance for any valuable advice you have for me.

BTW I love my Jayco Toyhauler!!

Richard
Charlotte, NC
duramaxpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #2

You need to decrease your drive axle weight to 7,000 lbs or less.

Load the toy area, that will decrease your pin weight?

If that's not enough, time to shop for a new truck.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Wow, 8000# is a lot of weight on that SRW. I'd look into what the tow ratings and axle ratings are on a dually and go from there.

That jerking you feel when going down the road would be reduced with the Companion but more importantly, that gooseneck adapter is going to damage the frame in the pinbox area.

Great time to tell your DW that in the interest of safety you need a brand new Dually with leather, navagation, and what ever all the other bells and whistles are.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

My folks were in a similar situation with their dodge. The dry pin weight was over what their 3/4 ton single was rated for. I made me and my sister nervous and eventually we convinced them to upgrade to a 1 ton dually.

As a bonus, I bought their single owner - I know what this trunk has been through - pickup for market value.

Worked out great for me - I almost felt guilty as I found their new truck. Only saving grace is I really did help them find a good deal and I - over and over - told them I had a vested interest in them finding a new truck

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
Wow, 8000# is a lot of weight

That jerking you feel when going down the road would be reduced with the Companion but more importantly, that gooseneck adapter is going to damage the frame in the pinbox area.

Steve
Please explain why you think damage is being done.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
The lever effect of the long goosneck adapter is going to be hard on the frame in the pinbox area as they are not gusseted and strengthened for that type of hitch.

Call Jayco customer service and ask them if adding a goosneck adapter to your trailer is ok or check your owners manual and see what it says about adding adapters to the hitch.

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #7

That 8,000 lb will also wear out your rear wheel bearings much faster than normal. Remember that the weight is not only down on the truck axle, but really puts a heavy sideways strain on those tires and bearings when you go around turns at speed. IMHO, you really need a dually for that much hitch weight.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Thank you

Thank you all for your valuable time and input. It's time to go dually shopping I guess.
duramaxpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote