Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Towing help

Hi everyone! I have a question on how heavy of a camper my truck could tow. I have a 1998 k1500 Chevrolet Silverado. Has the towing package with 3.73 rear end 5.7 engine, truck has 152,00 miles. I would be purchasing a EQ weight stabalizer hitch. The sticker on the door doesn't give much info. The GVWR on the sticker reads 6200 lbs. The only other info I could find on the internet was by running tIhe VIN on a site. Not sure how accurate this is

Maximum GVWR 6600 lbs Standard GVWR 6200lbs
Maximum Payload 1968 lbs Curb weight front 2782
Standard Payload 1634 lbs Maximum Towing 7500lbs
Gross Combined wt rating 8000 Standard Towing 2500 lbs
Curb weight rear 1880 Curb weight 4587 lbs

I currently have a 1995 Jayco Pop Up that I'm pulling with this truck. We would like to upgrade to a travel trailer we have outgrown the pop up. One of the ones we are looking at is a Jayco SLX 224bh. The yellow sticker on the trailer reads a dry weight of 4590 lbs and a carrying capacity of 910 lbs.

I would never be hauling any water as the campsites we go to have water at each site. The campground we mainly go to is only 20 miles away another one we frequent is 85 miles away. No hills to pull up and down as we live in the flat Red River Valley of the North. I'm hoping to upgrade the tow vehicle next summer. I'm also thinking of if my truck would pull the camper. Is to have the family meet me in our car and haul some gear in the car to save weight. Anyone have any suggestions on my setup? Thanks.
smhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #2

In theory yes, it should handle a camper that weight. Take your truck to a scale and weigh it. Take the 6200lb standard rating minus what it actually weighs and you’ll know your payload capacity. The camper you’re looking at could approach 900lbs of tounge weight easy enough, whatever is left over is for anything else in the truck. Wood, bikes, beer, lawn chairs, more beer, you get the picture. Whatever you do DO NOT take the word of the salesman at the RV store. You’re on the right track verifying it yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide!
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!
smhnd is offline   Reply With Quote