Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #21

I am new to the TT. It really makes you think about taking it slow and easy. We are at our max. I towed the trailer home in a wind storm. It just happened to be where that family is from in ontario.

Prayers out to that family.
bertscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Towing safely I'm sure comes to the front of all our minds anytime we hear that an accident includes an RV, especially when there is loss of life.

If anyone feels that they (including myself) may be approaching the limits on our TV when towing, we should make an extra effort to insure that our TV/TT brakes, brake controller, WD hitch, sway control, tire pressures, etc., are installed, sized, and adjusted properly.

Pjsl01...., I found on the Jayco web site that a 2009 26BH specifications are GVWR 7,500lbs, UVW 4,445lbs, Dry hitch 580lbs, and the TT has an overall length of 29ft. Of course we all know that "loaded" weights are the real numbers to work with, after all who tows an empty TT.

The only consideration that you may want to consider is upgrading your sway control from a standard friction sway control arm to a Reese HP Dual Cam sway control. You will find that the standard friction sway control arm is recommended for TT's up to 25ft in length, beyond that other considerations should be incorporated.

I only reference the Reese HP Dual Cam because there is a high probability that it can be added to your existing WDH, best cost effective solution with enhanced sway control abilities. IMO the Dual Cam sway control will greatly enhance your TV's handling in less than desirable towing conditions should a sway event arise.

To put a little more piece of mind on the table, take your TV/TT to a local CAT scale to confirm your loaded weights.

Just food for thought, and safe travels.

Bob
Thanks for the advice. I started looking into the dual cam sway control. I would have to replace my spring bars because they don't have the "dip" at the end for the cam to sit. I'm sure its worth it.

For this year we are probably only going to a county park about 40 minutes away. This will give good oportunities for practice and still be close to home.

I looked up CAT scales and there happens to be one in my town. I'll definitly get an accurate weight we get loaded as we like.

Phil
Prodigy Brake Controller
pjsl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Phil,

Definitely visit the CAT scale before purchasing any new spring bars. The CAT scale weights will allow you to confirm your loaded TT tongue weight, and you can also confirm the correct WD spring bar rating as well.

Most folks are surprised how much their loaded TT's weigh after a CAT scale visit, it's amazing how all that little stuff we put in our TT's weighs!

Enjoy the camping season, and travel safe.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
...The CAT scale weights will allow you to confirm your loaded TT tongue weight, and you can also confirm the correct WD spring bar rating as well. ...
Please enlighten me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how it's is possible to obtain the TT's tongue weight with just one pass through the CAT Scale. You're connected when you get weighed and the CAT Scale weighs by the axle. The TV's front and rear axle weights will include the weight of the tongue but there is no way a CAT Scale can determine the actual tongue weight.

To obtain the tongue weight, you would need to unhitch your trailer and then weigh the TV by itself. Orchestrating this second weighing could become interesting if there are other vehicles in line behind you waiting for the CAT Scale.

Once you've weighed the TV by itself, the formula for determining the tongue weight would be:

Tongue Weight = hitched(truck front axle wt + truck rear axle wt) - unhitched(truck front axle wt + truck rear axle wt)

BTW- this same procedure will work to obtain the pin weight on fifth wheels too.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

FPM III,

Don't recall stating it could be done in one pass, a complete TV/TT CAT scale weigh will take 3 passes. The first with loaded TV/TT, second with the WD spring bars dis-engaged, and third just the loaded TV. The three passes will provide all the information you need to evaluate one's weights and determine the loaded tongue weight.

Each pass will require exiting the scale to prepare for the next weigh. I usually advise the clerk (cheaper) ahead of time of my intentions and I'm good to go.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
snip.......Once you've weighed the TV by itself, the formula for determining the tongue weight would be:

Tongue Weight = hitched(truck front axle wt + truck rear axle wt) - unhitched(truck front axle wt + truck rear axle wt)

BTW- this same procedure will work to obtain the pin weight on fifth wheels too.
FPM III,

I agree with your tongue weight formula as long as the TV/TT "hitched" CAT weigh you reference is with the WD "spring bars not engaged", and "unhitched" means loaded TV only.

When it comes to 5th wheel CAT weighs, I'm clueless.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #27
Site Team

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I've never used a CAT Scale so I went to their website to understand how their weighing process works. That's what made me ask the question because I couldn't see how you could obtain that additional information by simply having your combination weighed.

At a rally I attended a couple of years ago, we weighed rigs using four portable scales that weighed each wheel. We weighed the TV and trailer while connected, and then had the truck weighed again after the trailer had been dropped to get the tongue weight. Because we weighed each wheel, we observed cases where one side of the rig was much heavier than the other and also noted substantial weight differences between the front and rear tandems- something a CAT Scale can't do as it reports the weight of the tandem as one axle.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I will bet too little truck towing way too fast... How many people realize that ST tires are only rated to 60 mph?
Seann, that is why I prefer using E rated LT tires. Still most states have a slower speed limit for vehicles that are towing.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #29

Sorry to hear of such a tragic story. One word of caution for anyone else who might travel I-77, south of I-81 and Wytheville, VA and over Fancy Gap Mountain, beware. That mountainous stretch of road has been known to have extremely high winds, without warning, strong enough to blow over loaded 18 wheelers. If you ever go that route pay particular attention to everything!

On the issue of tow ratings, for a long time I have been of the opinion that manufacturers ratings are based more on marketing considerations than actual capacity. Look at some of them now and you will find that half ton trucks are now rated at what one tons were several years ago.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Sorry to hear of such a tragic story. One word of caution for anyone else who might travel I-77, south of I-81 and Wytheville, VA and over Fancy Gap Mountain, beware. That mountainous stretch of road has been known to have extremely high winds, without warning, strong enough to blow over loaded 18 wheelers. If you ever go that route pay particular attention to everything!

On the issue of tow ratings, for a long time I have been of the opinion that manufacturers ratings are based more on marketing considerations than actual capacity. Look at some of them now and you will find that half ton trucks are now rated at what one tons were several years ago.
I would agree with that. Most of it probabaly comes from the fact that engines have gotten so much more powerful over the last 10 years. These newer half tons can move the weight, but may be lacking in brakes, suspension, transmission, overall weight, wheelbase, etc.. According to the tow rates on my Mountaineer, I could have gon 4 to 6 feet longer and stayed withing my weight limits. Glad I had my wits about me when I was tt shopping. Really makes you think.....

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
I would agree with that. Most of it probabaly comes from the fact that engines have gotten so much more powerful over the last 10 years. These newer half tons can move the weight, but may be lacking in brakes, suspension, transmission, overall weight, wheelbase, etc.. ..
Don and I both agree that although our tv is rated to tow over 10k lbs, we would not go over 7500lbs. We definitely would not tow longer than our 29bhs. Our brake/integrated brake, tow haul mode, and wheel base are good, but the suspension is softer than we like, and the tv bogs down to 40-45mph on steep grades. If we upgrade to larger tt or 5'er, we will definitely wait until we can afford a 3/4 ton... I know I wouldn't want our tt/tv and our dead bodies to end up on the evening news!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Don and I both agree that although our tv is rated to tow over 10k lbs, we would not go over 7500lbs. We definitely would not tow longer than our 29bhs. Our brake/integrated brake, tow haul mode, and wheel base are good, but the suspension is softer than we like, and the tv bogs down to 40-45mph on steep grades. If we upgrade to larger tt or 5'er, we will definitely wait until we can afford a 3/4 ton... I know I wouldn't want our tt/tv and our dead bodies to end up on the evening news!
I agree that although the tow ratings may be high on some of these half tons, the suspensions and payload may not be up to the tongue weight of some of the heavier trailers. That`s what I don`t like about my truck, not a power issue but a marginal suspension. These trucks were made to ride nice, to pay for that you get softer springs then the 3/4`s.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #33

Healthi, when you think about getting a 3/4 ton in the future you might as well look at 1 ton SRW trucks. Then you will almost always have enough truck.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #34

Hey Clutch - I like you spending Healthi's money! If you could, ask her to buy me one too I mean really...that is least she could do for me dont you think?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #35

Send a message via Yahoo to WestTXmed
I have the TRD suspension package on my Tundra and that has made a very big difference in the handling while I tow, but my TT weigfhs 7200 lbs with all my crud in it- well under my limit (whatever "limit" means).

I did a few other things to help with the handling, like airbags and a sway control bar for the rear. The TV tires are E-rated and I increased the TT tire size to 16" in an E rated LT tire.

I still go 60-65 tops though. Physics always wins.

"Here fishy, fishy, fishy......" - Me

"Never take a laxative and an Ambien in the same night." - Dr. Dad

2009 Eagle Superlight 303RKS, Hensley Arrow, 4 sets of Bal stabilizers to make the wife happy, and 2 Yamaha EF2000is inverter generators. Towed by a 2013 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7L.
WestTXmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Healthi, when you think about getting a 3/4 ton in the future you might as well look at 1 ton SRW trucks. Then you will almost always have enough truck.
That would be totally reasonable. Those super moderators probably make a fortune.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Hey Clutch - I like you spending Healthi's money! If you could, ask her to buy me one too I mean really...that is least she could do for me dont you think?
Quote:
Quote:
That would be totally reasonable. Those super moderators probably make a fortune.
Ummmmm, We would love to buy all ya'all a new one ton.... we're just a little short right now

Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #38

Excuses excuses excuses---- I bet Opra would buy us new trucks.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #39

The first after market option I added to my truck.. BETTER BRAKES.. I went with drilled and slotted rotors with more aggressive pads... Like Healthi said "I dont want my wrecked rig and dead burned body on the 6pm news"
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote