Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #21

I would highly recommend a half ton pickup truck for that kind of weight as I think you will be much happier in the long run. Try a ford Ecoboost and you still get excellent mpg running around unloaded as well as having an excellent tow vehicle.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #22

Not trying to push the truck but my F150 Crew Cab has a ton of room in the back seat area. My 2 boys get lost back there. The EcoBoost with the Max Tow pulls like a champ. It's gas so you pay less for fuel. Its actually fun to drive with the turbo. It's my daily driver and I have been driving pick ups for a number of years. Can't imagine anything else. You can throw stuff in the back like firewood, weber smoker, bicycles ,portable waste tank(which gives you more camping options like staying in the primitive area away from all the people) etc.
You really want to pay attention to payload. Mine is 1866 lbs which is not too bad for a 1/2 ton. Good luck on your decision as I am trying to decide on a new TT. I know what it's like.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #23

And actually I'm reading incredible towing and payload numbers on the new 2015 F150's. A big factor contributing to this change is the F-150’s new aluminum body, which cut as much as 700 pounds from the old steel body.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #24

I know I said I was going to push but at least go test drive one. Make sure you take it on a highway and have some fun on the on ramp.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #25

Quote:
I understand you don't want a truck but any crew cab truck today will have more leg room and shoulder room than a GC or tourag ever had.

it isn't even close.
Nbhybrid has it right here. You could put the tourag in the bed if you think you still need it.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
Mine is 1866 lbs which is not too bad for a 1/2 ton.
Hey Smoothy, that's actually really good for a 1/2 ton, mine's 1474.

OP, if you're still dead set on an SUV, you could look at the Ford Expeditions. They are VERY capable SUVs from a payload and towing perspective. I know you said you were wanting a smaller SUV, but if you HAVE to have an SUV, and you HAVE to have a big trailer, you can't do much better for towing than the Expedition. I was looking at one for DW not long ago and was very impressed.

Maybe a little off the point, but everyone I know who has owned a VW in the last 10 years or so have had nothing but problems with them. You couldn't pay me to buy one. But that's really just my biased opinion.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia View Post

Specs for 23 MB
WeightsUnloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)4,200
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)425

Please see the link below

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...ler-93409.html
Dry weight is a fictional number. When you are ready to tow that trailer is going to be closer to 5500#-6000#. You will be overweight on your tongue limit. No one here is dismissing the ability of that diesel to tow it. Plenty of power. But towing is much more than power. It doesn't matter that people on the Toureg forum say "it'll be OK", or "you'll never know the trailer is back there". They aren't the ones that will have to deal with issues arising from going over your limits. It also doesn't matter than Europeans tow travel trailers with Touregs. TTs there have lower tongue weights, the vehicles are rated with different safety standards, etc. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Look, a lot of us on this forum have been towing for many years. We've done what you are considering doing. As I said in a previous post, I've towed close to my limits twice. We're just trying to share that experience and help you have a pleasant towing experience rather than a nerve racking one. Even if its not nerve racking it'll limit you. Much better to buy a tow vehicle that gives you a 20% or 30% margin than push the limits. You have an opportunity to avoid that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I understand you don't want a truck but any crew cab truck today will have more leg room and shoulder room than a GC or tourag ever had.

it isn't even close.
Exactly! I would describe the back seat of our crew cab as cavernous. People get in it and are amazed at how roomy and comfortable it is. You would be amazed at how comfortable and nice is it to drive a full size PU. I've had SUVs, even a few Suburbans. I don't know why I didn't buy a truck before this one. Go look at them for yourself if you don't believe us.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #28

DocBrown is right on point, I completely agree with everything he said. I'm currently towing at my max, so I have a perspective that I think is worth noting, and if I can help another JOF member avoid the situation I'm in, I will do so. My rig is not dangerous, but I'm just tired of worrying about weights, I would rather just sit back and relax without having to be quite so "on the edge" all the time. That extra 20% capacity DocBrown is talking about has a direct effect on the driver's mental disposition when you're pulling tin down the road.

Of course, we all have decisions to make based on our own situations. Bottom line is you're the one making the note payment, you're the one pulling your rig down the road, you're the one responsible for your family's safety, so it's your decision. Since you're buying a new vehicle, you have a wonderful opportunity here to greatly enhance your RV experience.

I was also going to mention that if you're serious about off-roading, and you would consider a pickup that can tow, the Ram 2500 Powerwagon might be worth a look. Equipped with upgraded suspension and other off-road goodies, and the 6.4 Hemi, that truck is a force. Probably WAY too much truck for what you're considering, but hey, one can dream right?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks for the invaluable advices. Buying a truck is not an option. Our family with 2 kids would like to enjoy the camping trips. I think squeezing kids in a truck for 1000 miles might change their view on camping. I also want to use the SUV on daily basis for driving to work. We will eventually buy either GC or Touareg or another the same size SUV. But truck, no thanks
Welcome to the forum. As far as the truck goes, most people on here have kids or had kids and routinely tow them around in the truck on camping trips. No problems there with 2 kids. 4+ may be an issue with a truck but that would be and issue with any small SUV. Also there is nothing wrong with using it as a daily driver. My wife drives our F350 as a daily driver.

I towed my first small RV trailer with a small SUV and I was well within the weights. Never again though. I hated it and was always worried about weights. Not to mention, just because it falls inside of the weight limits doesn't mean it was designed to do it often and it will destroy and engine and tranny much quicker. It was very hard on the vehicle and the vehicle rode terribly as it didn't have the size to manage the heavy load with large sidewalls. Remember most of the effort in towing an RV is wind resistance and aerodynamics. You will feel headwinds. 5000 of rock on a flatbed is a whole different animal than 5000 lbs of RV.

If you are set on those two vehicles than definitely get one. But I do not recommend it as well.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Please note that we are planning to buy 23MB not 23MBH

Specs for 23MBH
WeightsUnloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)5,045
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)590

Specs for 23 MB
WeightsUnloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)4,200
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)425
I'm well aware of specs for both units. Still wouldn't go with either of your choices.

In regards to towing with a truck, kids in back and all, have you looked at the inside of a Tundra? You can fit a clown circus in there.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #31

Camper Bob look at these numbers
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-f...3-3-1640231826
Old 10-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #32

There are several full size SUVs that could be a capable TV, IMO. I tow a 26BH (7500 GTW) with my v8 Armada. Plenty of room for my family of 5 - much more than any truck I've seen. Chevy Suburban is another option.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #33

I use my pickup as a daily driver. In fact, its the only vehicle we own now that we are retired.

Just as much luxury and comfort as most any car or SUV.

Folks on this forum just trying to steer you in the right direction.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #34

My brother in law has a Sequoia which has the 5.7 - same as the Tundra. It's a real nice ride unloaded so it's a bit squishy with a trailer. May consider getting RAS or air bags if it sags too much.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
That's just crazy! I heard a commercial or a news report or something about the new Aluminum F-150s, just in passing, so I was going to make a point of looking up their specs. For reference on the 3300 lbs of payload, that's a touch more payload than the 2014 RAM 2500 CC Short Bed with 6.4 Hemi before options! "Towing capacity" is about the same though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcop49 View Post
In regards to towing with a truck, kids in back and all, have you looked at the inside of a Tundra? You can fit a clown circus in there.
LOL!! That's great! If I weren't terrified of clowns, it would be a more humorous image!

On that note, take a look at a RAM Mega Cab, those things are ridiculous inside, you could fit two clown circuses in there! Twice the nightmare!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
My brother in law has a Sequoia which has the 5.7 - same as the Tundra. It's a real nice ride unloaded so it's a bit squishy with a trailer. May consider getting RAS or air bags if it sags too much.
I can vouch for the RAS, I have it on my truck and I like it a lot. I don't know what kind of rear springs the Sequoia has, but the RAS only works on leaves, air bags would be a better option for coil sprung suspension. It really helps stabilize a heavy load, and it eliminated the excessive bouncing I used to get after a severe bump in the road, and cornering empty it's a completely different truck. They advertise that it helps with wheel hop and axle wrap, but to my knowledge I didn't have those problems before the RAS (well maybe a little wheel hop here and there on wash-board pavement).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #37

Does anyone know of any RV trailer that has space (beds) for mom,dad and 2 kids and can be towed by GC or WV Touareg in any condition?
Thanks
Olivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #38

Most hybrids would fit that description. X18d has 3 bunk areas and 4600# GTW.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Does anyone know of any RV trailer that has space (beds) for mom,dad and 2 kids and can be towed by GC or WV Touareg in any condition?
Thanks
there are many trailers.....likely close to 50 with all the manufacturers
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #40

Best of both worlds. New ford explorer sport...same ford Ecco v6 with around 375 HP. Tow like a pickup with SUV features.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote