Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
Best of both worlds. New ford explorer sport...same ford Ecco v6 with around 375 HP. Tow like a pickup with SUV features.
the tow ratings on the explorer are only 5000. not very good..ton less than GC

I think we can conclude the OP is buying either a GC or touareg
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #42

We have a 26BHS that I pull with a 2011 Durango. Our actual weights are similar to what's being thrown around here, and I have to say it's a great setup. Close to the margins, but I use a pro-pride hitch and that makes all the difference in the world. Wouldn't be comfortable as close to the limits as I am otherwise, but it really is a great towing experience. I actually arrange cargo to get my tongue weight closer to 10% rather than 13-15%, but with the hitch there is no sway so it's not a problem. Once you get the weight distribution dialed in everything rides great.

We have the 5.7 Hemi which has plenty of power although the transmission hunts a bit more than id like on steep climbs. The newer ones have an 8 speed I think, which handles a lot better.

If you are set on the mid-sized SUV (we were) the Durango is something you really ought to take a look at. In many ways it's nothing but a GC with a big butt; same drivetrains, same interior, etc.
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

I think we can conclude the OP is buying either a GC or touareg
Yes, but at least willing to go down in size and stay within ratings. Nothing wrong with that.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #44

I will take a truck any day. I just took two young boys with me. plus the dog in the back seat. Lots of room, took three bikes . One on the trailer, two in the back of the truck.
would not fit bike rack. Two weeks of supplies.
Try getting that in a SUV
If you have a boat where do you put it?
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #45
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Yes, but at least willing to go down in size and stay within ratings. Nothing wrong with that.
nope...they are thinking the right way.
the purpose of my post was to say they are not interested in optional TV choices. They are buying a diesel SUV.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #46

Crew cab trucks with a cap provides lots of room and lots of storage space in the back. You want at least a 25 % reserve tow capacity in your tow vehicle. Being right at or near your towing limit will put considerable strain on the tow vehicle power train.
Don't let the vehicle sales person sell tell you "it tow that TT with no problem". Do the math, 25% reserve tow capacity is the number.
Also consider that almost all first time buyers of RV's (TT, 5th wheels, motor homes ) usually move up to a larger size RV within 1 to 2 years. Consider getting the tow vehicle of a larger size will allow you to move up in RV size without changing tow vehicles.
reedga1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #47
Lost in the Woods

I don't think anyone needs a reserve capacity at all. manufacturers spec vehicles and post their ratings and going to 100 percent of that is fine.I don't believe there will be any extra strain whatsoever. There has never been documentation showing different.

My reasoning in my very first point was that they do not have either the TV yet nor the trailer. That is the only reason I picked neither. There are so many options in trailers and TV that purchasing a combination that is at max capacity wouldn't be my choice although there is nothing wrong with it.

Since it is evident by your posts that you are buying either the Grand Cherokee or the Touareg diesel ,they will tow that trailer if that is what you are looking for.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #48

Another note about "reserve towing capacity": "Towing capacity" is not the primary concern when talking about towing travel trailers. The primary concern is payload capacity (at least in smaller vehicles, 3/4 tons and up are a bit different as their payload capacity is typically enough to handle their towing capacity).

Example: My published "towing capacity" is 9600 lbs. My trailer scaled at about 7600 lbs loaded for a trip. That would technically be a 21% "reserve towing capacity", but I'm at my max on payload because the truck still has to carry the tongue of the trailer (along with me and my family and my dog and my gear... you see where I'm going) and that weight goes directly against payload. So there's no way my truck could tow a 9600 lb travel trailer safely; I would be significantly over on payload. There are also aerodynamics to consider; as has been mentioned plenty of times on here before, there is a significant difference between towing a 7600 lb flat bed trailer with load of bricks, and a 7600 lb travel trailer. Many vehicles have limitations on "frontal area" that technically put trailers that are within weight specs out of the running.

Depending on the payload capacity of the TV, and what you plan to haul inside it, even a 25% "reserve towing capacity" could put you over on payload.

I also agree with nbhybrid that towing at your limits is not the end of the world. Is it preferable? As I have experienced it, I would say no. It can be done safely, it's just more difficult to do. And after all, we're out to have fun, not constantly worry about weight...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #49

I think your last comments concur with my statements!
"I also agree with nbhybrid that towing at your limits is not the end of the world. Is it preferable? As I have experienced it, I would say no. It can be done safely, it's just more difficult to do. And after all, we're out to have fun, not constantly worry about weight..."
Also 25% reserve capacity is determined after you determine what loads you are going to tow.
Then there is the future possibility of a larger trailer. Then what will they need a larger tow vehicle?
reedga1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedga1990 View Post
Then there is the future possibility of a larger trailer. Then what will they need a larger tow vehicle?

This isn't the case for all people. My spacious X17A will likely do us out.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
This isn't the case for all people. My spacious X17A will likely do us out.
I used to say that with our old Kiwi 17a. We had it for 10 years, and were planning on keeping it a lot longer. Then we saw the X20E. We were done for.

But like you I wasn't going to go out and replace my TV. The reason I went to a PU was because the Trailblazer had a lot of miles on it and it was time to replace it. An opportunity to get something with more capacity.

But to your point about being satisfied with your trailer, we'll probably have the X20E for 10 years or more, longer than we'll have our Sierra I'm thinking.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
That's just crazy! I heard a commercial or a news report or something about the new Aluminum F-150s, just in passing, so I was going to make a point of looking up their specs. For reference on the 3300 lbs of payload, that's a touch more payload than the 2014 RAM 2500 CC Short Bed with 6.4 Hemi before options! "Towing capacity" is about the same though...

LOL!! That's great! If I weren't terrified of clowns, it would be a more humorous image!

On that note, take a look at a RAM Mega Cab, those things are ridiculous inside, you could fit two clown circuses in there! Twice the nightmare!
Not a fan of the movie "It", I gather...
Old 10-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcop49 View Post
Not a fan of the movie "It", I gather...

LOL! I loved the movie, and the book, but yes, that clown is at least part of the phobia!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarkva View Post
We have a 26BHS that I pull with a 2011 Durango. Our actual weights are similar to what's being thrown around here, and I have to say it's a great setup. Close to the margins, but I use a pro-pride hitch and that makes all the difference in the world. Wouldn't be comfortable as close to the limits as I am otherwise, but it really is a great towing experience. I actually arrange cargo to get my tongue weight closer to 10% rather than 13-15%, but with the hitch there is no sway so it's not a problem. Once you get the weight distribution dialed in everything rides great.

We have the 5.7 Hemi which has plenty of power although the transmission hunts a bit more than id like on steep climbs. The newer ones have an 8 speed I think, which handles a lot better.

If you are set on the mid-sized SUV (we were) the Durango is something you really ought to take a look at. In many ways it's nothing but a GC with a big butt; same drivetrains, same interior, etc.
what is the towing capacity for this Durango?
Olivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia View Post

7400 lbs
Old 10-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia View Post

Sticker says 7400, 7200 with AWD (which we have). I don't remember my numbers exactly, but based on the GCWR (combined weight of the vehicle and trailer) of 12,500ish and what we weigh with the car loaded up, I figured my actual trailer weight limit was more like 6800.
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarkva View Post
Sticker says 7400, 7200 with AWD (which we have). I don't remember my numbers exactly, but based on the GCWR (combined weight of the vehicle and trailer) of 12,500ish and what we weigh with the car loaded up, I figured my actual trailer weight limit was more like 6800.
GC and VW Touareg both have similar or higher towing capacity. So either of them is capable of towing as Durango.
Olivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #58

The tow capacity doesn't tell the whole story. Our previous TT was well below my max tow cap but I was within 200# of Rear GAWR. When we added a 2nd couple in the back seat and their gear we were probably over weight. The yellow sticker will list the weight ratings but until you visit the CAT Scale (the CAT Scale is your friend) you won't know what the weight is on the front or rear axles. The difference between the GAWR and the weight on the rear axle will tell you how much more weight you can safely add. We added a touch less than 1000# to the TT with propane, battery, tools, food, luggage and the like. Add that to the TT's GAW (from the TT's yellow sticker), multiply by 0.13, add an additional #100 for the hitch and you will have an approximate weight you will add to the rear axle weight. Don't forget that people, dog, luggage, fuel ... will also add to the load on the axles. I wouldn't worry too much about being at or a little over weight but being over by #500 or more would cause me some grief.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #59

I know this is an old topic, and I thoroughly understand your dilemma the tow vehicle. If you can find an older V10 Touareg TDI you could likely tow a smaller 19' bunk house trailer if you and the husband are willing to use the dining set-up as your bed. But honestly, If your budget is for a new vehicle, my suggestion for you is this, buy an older tow vehicle like a 6.0L+ GMC/Ford larger size SUV with mileage around 100-120K for a decent price. Use that as your tow vehicle ONLY. Then buy a fancy VW Jetta wagon, brand new for everyday use. And you get two great and useful vehicles for the same money!
with-a-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #60

2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6L

I just bought a new 2015 Jayco 26 BHS. I was wondering if any one can tell me their experience towing a camper of this weight with a 2010 tundra 4.6L engine. I have been told I should not have an issue.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)5,470Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)675Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs)7,750Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs)2,280
TripZTrip is offline   Reply With Quote