Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2024, 03:02 PM   #1

Towing w/ a dolly laws?

Might there be a state by state guide to towing laws somewhere? I'll be using a tow dolly to pull a car behind our '24 Jayco 26M. Tow dolly (Master Tow 77T) is plugged into the RV and all work fine. I'm told this in fine / legal here in NY. But, with the car extending past the tow dolly wheel wells which hold the lights, I'm wondering if this is legal everywhere. I've seen cars being pulled on a tow dolly with lights attached via magnets on the rear. Wondering if I need to do this?

Thanks...
Old 06-09-2024, 03:10 PM   #2

I've never heard where that was a requirement in any state. You see U-Haul dollies on the road all the time without additional lights.
Old 06-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #3

Thank you. That's what I thought.
Old 06-09-2024, 06:19 PM   #4

I don't think its required, but there could be some law that says it has to be visible from the rear - RV or tow dolly lights. That being said, it may be safer for you more than others to have something more visible for people behind you.

I towed with a dolly for 30k miles. I used the wireless lights and had a 4pin trailer harness splitter. This way I could connect the dolly and the wireless light harness to the trailer and both worked. My unit required 4 AA in each light. Worked every time and was easy to use. Batteries usually lasted an entire season/year and I'd just replace to make sure I had another year. Never had a problem with the magnets. I actually still use it towing the jeep so I don't have to wire up the lights.

If you do it a few times, probably wouldn't invest in it. If you plan to use it regularly, I'd buy some wireless ones for the safety factor.