Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #21

Have you talked to your Dodge mechanic? Many may say to put a power chip in it for improved performance. However (not a mechanic anymore) I lean to lowering the differential ratio. Both cost wise and performance wise.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #22

There is a lot of good information in the Ram heavy duty forum on re gearing. Several folks were doing it to add bigger tires. Several went with 4:88s. I went to the 4:56s because we only tow a few times a year right now. Generally in the Midwest Ozark's and now to Florida for 6 months. As a daily driver not towing with stock tires The 4:56s are perfect

As for cost. Here in Missouri it took some phone calls to find a shop to do the swap. They are American axels and have several options for gear sets. Cost for us was 3000$. Others in Texas and Oklahoma were getting done for 1500$ to 2000$ No speedo issues as the sensor for speed comes off the transmission.

The new Ram heavy duty Hemi’s are coming with an 8 speed transmission. So re gearing may not be necessary. I’m too deep in my 2018 to even think about a new TV.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #23

Longevity of a post def diesel is an open debate. I would not base a buying decision on the theory that a diesel will significantly outlast a h.d. "cast iron block" gas engine . With enough money any modern engine will survive well beyond the 200k plus threshold mentioned. The question is how reliably and at what cost? Frankly I believe a gas engine is the best bang for the buck for fuel, maintenance, acquisition and overall owners lifetime costs. Yes a diesel will pull more if you need to pull more than 7 tons thats your only choice, but for the majority?
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #24

I had a 15 Ram 6.4l 4 10 gears. Good truck however i did not care for the tranny 66rfe. I traded to a 2017 Ford 6.2l 4 30 geared truck. If I still had the Ram it would be leaving for the new 2019 Ram or the new 2020 Ford with the 10 speed. I bet the new Ram with the 8speed behind the 6.4 is a great combo. I bet when the word gets out about the new 8 and 10 speed trannys behind these gas engines the diesel sales will go down. Diesels have become too expensive for a lot of consumers. The new Ford 7.3l v8 gas and 10 speed should be very nice. Even the 6.2 with 10 speed in the f350 should be great. I wonder if GM will get a updated tranny for their new 6.6l. As of now it's only 6 speed and one gearing choice of 3.73. A mistake if you ask me. Or genius to push more diesel sales. We shall see.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #25

Knowing G.M. and their marketing strategy, they will offer the 10 apeed in 2021. I agree that the price point of a diesel is now approaching the point where many will give gas a harder look especially as their capabilities are narrowing the gap both in capacities and m.p.g.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #26

Caution on the power chips and other modifications. make sure if you're still under warranty they don't void it. I had a salesman tell me he's heard of a few doing modifications, but told me he wouldn't until after the warranty runs out. With all the computer stuff they can tell if you put a chip in, even if you removed it.